Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: LordSebbington

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
LordSebbington polycounter lvl 6
Hi all.

I'm quite new to 3D, I stumbled into 3D in about September 2012 after finding a University of Reddit course on Game Art. So far I've bloody loved it and, without going into too much detail right off the bat, I'd like to try pursue it as a career. so I'm looking to progress and crits are greatly appreciated!

To give you an idea of what I've done so far, here's a summary of work to date.

Lemonade Stand - The first thing I modelled (3DS)

wzcYv.jpg

Security Camera (3DS)

HoBxW.jpg

TV (3DS)

lFqlW.jpg

Bioshock Wrench (3DS)

yWttK.jpg

Knife (3DS)

NEWjQ.jpg

Shotgun (3DS + Marmoset + Photoshop)

This was done by following a Millenia tutorial, who I think is the same as on this forum, so I need to drop him a line to say thanks at some point. This was a big breakthrough for me in 3D, finally breaking through on texturing was amazing.

0zczs.jpg

a3J4H.jpg

I then got involved with Shadowshifters' Huntsman: The Orphanage, modelling and texturing a few props for the game. PLUG: Votes would be greatly appreciated - I know they're working hard in the demo in Australia as I speak.

Jingleball (3DS + Marmoset + Photoshop)

EFp5e.jpg

Letter Blocks (3DS + Photoshop)

Na0LR.jpg

Jack in the Box (3DS)
gPCrg.jpg

Metronome (3DS)

615ey.jpg

Ribbon (3DS)

m3DnQ.jpg

At this point I'd been browsing around Polycount and was getting pretty excited by sculpting, especially AFisher's stuff (which I reckon most people are). So I signed up to Digital tutors and got into ZBrush. The first tutorial I did was for this:

Ar8RxRE.jpg

XAGjhqc.jpg

I'm really enjoying 3D, so the next big learning hurdle is to get high poly sculpts retopologised into low poly meshes, texture them (I need to learn a lot more about map types) and put them into a game engine. I'm dabbling in UDK but still some distance to go.

For the sake of not over egging this post I'll put my most recent work in a new post.

Thanks for looking and as I say, any feedback or pointers are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My newest sculpt is a Rottilo, taken from a piece I found on Deviant art.

I'm firstly looking for feedback about the sculpt itself; I'm definitely getting quicker and this took about an evening to get to this stage. Some proportions are off and the lower legs have got a bit messy anatomically and generally. Not in the concept but I've also given it a bum hole and androgynous genitals (probably a penis).

I've tried to make the body less rotund than the concept too.

ALSO, I've also come across a few issues in ZBrush that might be to do with masking: There are certain points on the model where I can't polypaint or affect the material and it can be difficult to model there. I might have Z intensity cranked up but the brushes are barely making an impact on certain areas. It's happened before on the ant but I'm shooting blind on this one.

You can see what I mean on the busts in the picture; the green parts are fine but the brown bits refused to be altered in any way. There are only 2 sub-tools, the eyes and everything else.

Bbji7Rh.jpg

Rottilo by Yigitkoroglu
    641f4bf92dc9f7957030eb3255f19a55.jpg

C&C welcome and help appreciated
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rejigged the Rottilo to deal with the anatomy a bit better but the back legs still don't look right, not equine enough. It doesn't look like a young version anymore though and the skull face is a bit more refined.

OVsDTGF.jpg

I also tried retopo but I'm still getting a handle on it and it seems like there's so many wasted polys on my first attempt:
    NhimIHE.jpg

Also Huntsman: The Orphange has been greenlit by Steam!

huntsman__the_orphanage_by_shadowshiftersgames-d5mke8i.jpg

VIDEO

Exciting! So I'm working on another asset for that and wrestling with normals at present.

jo2CPG4.jpg

Here's some belated sketches of varying quality and a weary dragon for the Art Jam:

W1wdbjS.jpg
    Pose Maniacs - 30 seconds

7TguUct.jpg

ITdX7GT.jpg
    I ended up being too precious with this one.

So I did this while talking on the phone:
    kdxWE1c.jpg

Followed by this after looking at some Feng Zhu:
    jgWUFvB.jpg

I'm not happy with my skill at values though so I did this:
    LqSkdiJ.jpg
    He's still a bit low contract though. Still, practice makes perfect.

YzoUmL2.jpg

v5KjDqA.jpg
    Self crit - the facial anatomy makes no sense - specifically the cheeks and around the mouth.

zAnUHbe.jpg
    Art Jam dragon.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • GenericGoodGuy
    Awesome work! Subscribed can't wait to see more.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers - one reason I'm posting my progress here so I can track how I'm doing.

Here's a 2 hour study:

u7G7ZMI.jpg

vIj4h2e.jpg

I'm finding the hardest thing to be giving muscle definition without making someone look old and haggard.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    13JS9qn.jpg

She looks less haggard than yesterday's but still has a touch of the frau farbissina

Asc5jVukub8m.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2D Dump - practising faces. Not much reference - focusing on noses and lips:

QyMdq8w.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skull/value study.

LXToUgT.jpg

Also an Art Jam WIP of Hexadecimal from Reboot. Based on THIS concept.

WiHqMb1.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBLcGs1czck"]Reboot - episode 1[/ame]
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick gunblade mock ups - I'm thinking Final Fantasy 8 meets Modern Warfare. I'll keep messing around with the idea for now.

Kit-bashed images from Google

VJyjZMZ.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've quit my day job and gone full time with 3D now :) although I can't actually post any of it yet so here's a quick sculpt.

SebCorson_DemoMask.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm been crunching for work and I've been doing a few Art Jam bits but these doesn't really have a place to go and I quite like them:

MXM123u.jpg

6OM4zBp.jpg

Also, here's the last Art Jam bits:

1fXw9ro.jpg

7L39xBD.jpg

g97ELjJ.jpg
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Time to start working on some anatomy - my faces have a tendency to look squishy. I'm trying to start from the ground up and work on facial planes at the moment using Loomis as reference.

5CC1UT0.jpg

Also, as this is a sketchbook, here's dump of other things I've done.

Sn8zYM3.jpg
    PF9rOvZ.jpg
    CKQZVjT.jpg
    BkKaSoy.jpg
    dnVeXwD.jpg
    qXYdtak.jpg
    tIIVFb4.jpg
    PF9rOvZ.jpg

And that about brings the sketchbook up to speed.
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0np0tT6.jpg

Alternate Art Jam pic.

3SJwsw1.jpg

A very WIP block in on a sci-fi environment. When I say Sci-fi, I actually mean a clean environment to offset the grimy, derelict environments I do at work. It a polar research station with a staff of about 15. This is the main testing area leading to the server room, plus the staff room.

I'm using this to learn a bit more about UDK and modular workflows. If all goes well I'll add on the living quarters and an exterior visible from the server bridge.

I was toying with the idea of writing a short story as context - then I found the comics for Overgrowth and decided a story should be done as the bare minimum.

Overgrowth - Wolfire Games (Makers of Receiver)
  • LordSebbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't feeling very confident baking normals with Modo and XNormal. So today I sat down, did a bit of reading and cracked out a few studies. I definitely feel a bit better about them now - although I've still got a few things to learn.

vHFrMVR.jpg

BL204Gc.jpg

yObb6cW.jpg