P40 Warkhawk WIP - Critique Requested

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
[EDIT] Update

Quick update for today:

update012113.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm looking to finish this up as a portfolio piece. At the moment, the only things I have left for the high poly are the Propellers and the exhaust nozzles. Any tips and suggestions are more than welcome.

P.S. I apologize in advance for the terrible render. Rendering's definitely not my strength... at all.

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    gotta post an image if you want critique budski
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    host on imageshack.us or imgur.com or even just change permissions on those images on your dropbox because we are 403ing :)
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry about that guys, the pics showed up in the preveiw =/
  • ranger_park
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show us a wireframe?
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you show us a wireframe?

Here you go!

wh_wire_by_superdenny707-d4epg2t.jpg

wh_wire_04_by_superdenny707-d4epg3e.jpg

wh_wire_03_by_superdenny707-d4epg35.jpg

wh_wire_02_by_superdenny707-d4epg30.jpg

wh_wire_by_superdenny707-d4epg2t.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Looks pretty good.

But your poly density isn't very clean. Looks like you might have as many polys in one wheel as you have in the entire body.

The tail, windows and the nose are very dense too.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looks pretty good.

But your poly density isn't very clean. Looks like you might have as many polys in one wheel as you have in the entire body.

The tail, windows and the nose are very dense too.

spot on
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Being a high-poly model, without any specifically mentioned intention of being sculpted on, poly-density isn't really an issue. Secondly, it looks like the body is rendered with Isoline display on the wireframe, while the wheels aren't, so they probably aren't as dense as they appear.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz wrote: »
    Being a high-poly model, without any specifically mentioned intention of being sculpted on, poly-density isn't really an issue. Secondly, it looks like the body is rendered with Isoline display on the wireframe, while the wheels aren't, so they probably aren't as dense as they appear.

That is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. All the high poly stuff is being done in max. Also, the parts mentioned earlier are all separated pieces, each with their own TurboSmooth Modifier, which is another reason why the density varies so much
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    sorry, that's what I get for scanning comments. Think the shapes are looking good. Only thing I see is where the air intake for the engine is, it looks like it could be smoothed a bit, but really hard to tell.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist wrote: »
    sorry, that's what I get for scanning comments. Think the shapes are looking good. Only thing I see is where the air intake for the engine is, it looks like it could be smoothed a bit, but really hard to tell.

It's cool. Thanks for noticing, I'll give that area some more attention.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest update. Added Propellers and Exhaust vents on the nose of the plane. ON the rear, added the rear wings. there's an issue with the topology in these renders, I already fixed it on the tail wings, and will fix the other big issue (near the cockpit) before my next update. Also added my new portfolio border

front_by_superdenny707-d4euevf.jpg

back_by_superdenny707-d4euevn.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some pics of the real plane:

curtiss-p-40-warhawk.jpg

p-40_warhawk_turn.jpg

fly-by-P-40.jpg
  • Geledonutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some food for thought. it's a good start just a few things I noticed.

1)Those window supports are way to thick.. and it appears you've brought out the cockpit rather than making it flush?
    2)Where the wing meets the fuselage it tappers down more towards the end then smooths out into the fuselage.
    3)Again where there wing meets the fuselage it needs love. Also you could incorporate that wheel housing into the wing more rather than just crashing geometry.
    4)The wing just feels off especially the front, it's flat instead of rounded off. Also it appears the wing is angled down then turns back up at the wheel housing(irl)
    overwip.jpg

The ref :
    http://www.primeportal.net/hangar/jean_thomas_rembert/p-40n-5-cu_42-105915/
    Also not sure what blueprints your using but these are great.. they even break down the fuselage flow.
    http://p40warhawk.com/Models/Technical/P40%20%20plans%204.GIF
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeez, I hadn't noticed any of that. Thanks a lot, that's definitely a huge help. I'll definitely have to try to make the cockpit more flush, and try to make the place where the wing meets the fuselage more like the real thing.

I'm not really sure what you meant about the wings slanting down, tho. The tips are higher than the base of the wings (where they meet the fuselage) but it was like that in all the references I found and in the blueprints too. If I'm misunderstanding what you're saying let me know.

and the references are def a huge help. thanks again
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to necro this thread, but I've been working on this again (since I found a copy of the file that wasn't corrupted), figured I'd made enough progress to post an update. Let me know what you think

update121212.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    School's out, I'm rested and back to work. Gonna call this about finished. It's at 18K polys, below my goal of 20K. That number will most likely go down as I unwrap.

Here's the latest pics (should be the last of the untextured pics (should be).

27661069.jpg

29519745.jpg

82889269.jpg

74844975.jpg

As always, comments and crits welcome.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update for today:

update012113.jpg
  • 3Drobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey superdenny707,

Looking good, I have one of these on my portfolio if you want to check it out.

I think what you have is good, but might have looks a bit more natural if the fuselage was a tad bit smoother. Maybe try rounding it out more. Key thing is to check out as much reference as you can... Find a nice picture and move your 3d camera to a similar position and compare them side by side. It does wonders.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. I'll try increasing the smoothing angle for that smoothing group.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm stuck. I'm trying to make good looking panels without having to go into zbrush and bake down, but I'm having trouble. Anybody have any suggestions on how to make panel lines like these: http://www.brianburrell.com/pf_img/3d_prof/ffow_jets/FFOW_VEH_wc_jet_fighter_1k.jpg
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Superdenny, you need to pick out exactly which version of the P-40 you're working on. Your reference images are technically of two different versions of the aircraft - Tomahawk IIs (P-40B/C) and a P-40N.

I've spent a LOT of time with the P-40 and probably know it better than any of the other warbirds I've worked on. It changed and evolved significantly along its life, and if you're trying to make a realistic model of it, you need to sort your references or you're just creating a nightmare for yourself. For example, look carefully at the canopy and upper nose areas between the third and first two pictures you posted. They're vastly different. The entire cockpit and nose changed between the early and later P-40s, the fuselage got slightly narrower, and in the later (M and N) models, the rear fuselage was lengthed somewhat.

Are you working from 3-view diagrams and a dimensionally accurate jig, or trying to eyeball it?

(Here's the model I built for IL-2 Sturmovik, almost 10 years ago now...)

p-40%20texxed.jpg
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I see what you're saying. From what I can tell a lot of my photo reference is from the N, but the blueprint I used was the F. I can see a few differences, But aside from the cockpit, there wasn't enough noticeable variation in the models to give me a whole lot of trouble.
  • caffeineadic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caffeineadic polycounter lvl 6
    I haven't tried this before, but - you could duplicate your model and start creating panel lines (floating geometry) with the duplicate. Duplicate your original model as much as you need to create proper float geometry you need. Duplicating the model will keep the body lines in correct position. Then you can bake this floating geometry onto your planes UV's.
  • superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That. Sounds. Awesome. Thank you, I had not thought of that, but I think that would really work.