Home General Discussion

asked to send more work after application?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
hulo all! i applied to a freelance position and they asked me if they could put up my work (from my portfolio) and put it on there website . As theyre concepting some ideas for a film.

i thought the position was some freelance 3d gig but this email has confuzzled me. Do they want pre-made stuff from artists that relates to their concept? why not create concepts specifically for their vision?

Any ideas? They sent an email requiring more of my project work, but im not sure?

Replies

• marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Why don't you email them back and ask ... ?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I think that's the job. Pre-viz for a movie. And where they put it is their business after they pay you.

But it's weird that they wouldn't commission a regular concept artist. Maybe they just don't really know how this whole thing works.

I second marks, just ask them.

edit: oh wait, from your portfolio? that's crazy weird. yeah definitely ask them what's up with that.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well live and learn, hopefully they don't jack your ideas.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I would not do it. I was in a similar situation. I did some freelance for a company and later they emailed me asking if they can put my portfolio work on their website. I later found out they basically wanted to use my portfolio to get work themselves since their small startup didn't have a whole lot going yet. I told them no, that was my personal work. And they were free to put up any future freelance work I did for them. And oddly enough, they eventually became my biggest freelance client.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    SSquir33 wrote: »
    hulo all! i applied to a freelance position and they asked me if they could put up my work (from my portfolio) and put it on there website .

I can't think of an ethically sound reason why they would want to do that.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    hulo all! i applied to a freelance position and they asked me if they could put up my work (from my portfolio) and put it on there website .

Was that work done while under employment with them? No? Then of course not, they sound like a very shady barely operating establishment if they're pulling that kind of silliness.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    When companies are looking for contract houses, they are usually sent a package showing off the best art from all the available artists. Similarly, they put some of this work up on their website.

I assume this is what they want your pieces for.

I would suggest you give them nothing until pay is discussed.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, I'd say charge them for non-exclusive rights to show your portfolio and a contract outlining how your portfolio pieces can be displayed.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    i applied to a freelance position and they asked me if they could put up my work (from my portfolio) and put it on there website

that is a red flag!

they may be trying to land funding for their project by showing off your work.
    most likely they will never contact you again after they get their funding.

i have had this happen to me few time where a company showed off my work(with promise of work if project got greenlit) to potential investors to land funding and then used other cheap artists to do the actual work.
  • 3DKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    say yes, but in return, since you are now representing their company, ask to have some share of ownership of the said company! in contract :)

that should put a stop to that ;)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah def ask for money to use your images...
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    yeah def ask for money to use your images...

"Money?! We are giving you an opportunity to showcase your work to potential employees. See it as free advert."

;)
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    McGreed wrote: »
    "Money?! We are giving you an opportunity to showcase your work to potential employees. See it as free advert."

;)

Fitting how your name is McGreed ;)
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Hehe, well considering that the name came to when I was playing the game "Pirate Gold", I thought I have polished right up, no looting or stealing....much...this week... Either way, get to work, insect! Arrrrrggg :)
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    aha. well for closure what happened was . i stated my work was under the Creative commons act. So yeh they can use it, but with some clauses (not to make money off it, or edit it or tweak it , and to always refer my name/website)

im not a professional as of yet, so im happy with the free advertising haha. oh, the naive student mentally.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    aha. well for closure what happened was . i stated my work was under the Creative commons act. So yeh they can use it, but with some clauses (not to make money off it, or edit it or tweak it , and to always refer my name/website)

im not a professional as of yet, so im happy with the free advertising haha. oh, the naive student mentally.

Try paying your bills with free advertising. The only value for you is if they put money in your hand.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE"]Harlan Ellison -- Pay the Writer - YouTube[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    free advertising isn't what you think: they are using your art, for free, to advertise their services. It's basically a lie to convince young artists to do work for free.