Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Female

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
vavavoom polycounter lvl 11
I thought i had given up on this.., but i got some free time in the new year and i finally picked it up again, determined to finish. really determined. It was bugging me.

The goal now became to create a generic model which can be used to create other characters relatively easily from.

The hairs still based on my original goal of making chu li, but i'm not worried about that now, im sure i can change that. i might create the chun li clothes later and make the model i originally set out to.

spent ages studying others models and wires to try and make good topology/shape.

its supposed to be aimed at real time games, rigged and animated (although i doubt i'll ever learn how to..)

all in ortho view.
725auo.jpg

xcb2o.jpg

2jcwwmw.jpg

different breast sizes:
k54wpf.jpg

Wider/slimmer hips:
qsva07.jpg

references:

2yuk2te.jpg

The body proportions are based on the juri ref pic
bi9ylw.jpg

hood needs finishing, eyelashes, inside of mouth/teeth, and of course it still isn't textured. hair should be changed to match ref pic i guess (since it changed from my original ref).

few areas where theres a touch of clipping, but maybe wont be a problem as the mesh under the clothes should be deleted?

When the hair and hoods done its probably time to put this one away and move on to something else.

Replies

• vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some dr.martens im working on..
    gonna make my character more interesting hopefully..
    and some converse..
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vpd91l.jpg

i'm guessing laces can just be a alpha map plane?
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Hey! The model is coming along nicely, great job. A few things that stand out to me that you might consider. Personally, I think the legs (especially the calves) are a bit thick when you compare it to the face. The butt seems a bit odd, I would find a good reference with multiple views that you can follow closely.

overall, It seems a bit disjointed, some areas look sexy while others not so much. Your body references are probably the cause, the left image is far more feminine than the right. If that is what youÂ’re going for then the only thing IÂ’d like to see adjusted is the butt.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Leinad.

Could you explain more about what you mean about the butt looking off?

I wonder if the viewport perspective gives this appearance? or maybe my smoothing groups aren't so good?

I followed the ref body line;
    dx0l6g.jpg

34fy3va.jpg

i was pretty happy with it finally. in fact, i was actually thinking to make the thighs/calves bigger later on (when i go back to my original goal of making it into chu li.. oneday).

maybe ill get back to it, but next on the to do list is make a new hairstyle and finish the hood. maybe see about making the hooded top a bit baggier and experiment with trying to add some creases..

i like big butts and i cannot lie..
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Your modelÂ’s proportions somewhat remind me of HazardousÂ’s Chun Li. I think his/her thread would be an awesome place for you to go and check out if you havenÂ’t yet.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82243

The butt is mainly awkward when viewed from the back view. It seems like the glutes are being contracted. I’d rather see the butt shaped like a “OO”, it looks fine from other views.

If that's what you're going for then nothing wrong with that, as long as it's intentional :) Keep up the good work.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. i think i know what you mean, you mean like shes tensing her buttocks?

the (left) is supposed to have a very 'tight' butt for an athletic look, and the (right) more apple shaped.

also, maybe the smoothing group isn't that great, maybe it doesn't define the shape well? heres with no smoothing groups:

2h6t47c.jpg

i wanted to achieve a nice tight butt, i'm happy with it, i'm gonna stick with it :)
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blocking out the hood:
    2vmhdn9.jpg
    2rwb41u.jpg
    probably i'll have to model it twice, hood up/hood down. thought its better to model it up first to get the topology then it can be collapsed down i guess.

fixed edges on sneakers & boots:
    349e1rq.jpg
    r7j8mu.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    took a short break from the character to try an make a seagull.

reference:
    de1i10.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ..done..

612 polys / 348 verts, which is triangles?
    xqho9g.jpg

..except for these faces on the wings, i don't know how they should be done??
    they are single planes which will be alpha mapped i guess,
    should they have double sided faces, is it possible?

2mfiyhl.jpg

any advice appreciated..
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey vavavoom, I've been lurking on this thread for a while now, might as well comment! :p

Making double sided materials is actually pretty easy; in 3ds Max (which I think you're using, but I'm not totally sure) there's a check box under "Shader Basic Parameters" which allows you to make any material 2-Sided. In UDK, there's also an option/check box which works the same way, but I can't remember it off the top of my head.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Stoop_Kid.

My first foray into texturing...

dxo8ys.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plenty of problems...

2cenhhv.jpg

the back half of the wing is a single plane, the idea was to alpha map it..
    but i guess i'm going about it all wrong..

zk4i1u.jpg

im wondering if the plane which is to be alpha mapped should be a on separate UVW map?

is it that the standard method to have any alpha UVW maps separate?
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    after hours of searching and experimenting, i got the alpha maps problem sorted.

now just this 1 problem to overcome..

fb9g5u.jpg

when smoothing group is applied, it makes this horrible black shadow on the underside wing. it doesn't appear on the top (im guessing bcoz the faces are pointing up, if i flip them, it just 'flips' the problem to the top side).

ive tried using different smoothing groups and also just 1 group for the whole model.

all vertices are welded.

it doesnt seem to like the single plane join...
    anyone else encounter this/know how to solve it?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Great start!

Just one thing, watch the arm length, on your average earthling our wrists hang in line with the bottom of our butts.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Muzz. so make the arms longer or shorter? i cant judge it well..
    but it should be an easy fix right away sir :)

i took a break from the character to make the seagull, now im kinda stuck into fixing this problem with the wing...

69mhb5.jpg

i wanted to get a grip on texturing this simpler seagull model before i try tackling the character texture. but it's harder work than i expected..

searched hours on the internet for similar problem/solution, couldn't find any solution..:'(
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got it, thanks very much for showing me :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    What about this for wings ?

WingSide.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks PyrZern.

won't that cause problems with animating/movement?

and, i tried what you suggested, here's the result...

top/bottom:
    34j2hhl.jpg

i couldn't find any posts online with the same issue and how it can be fixed..
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    never did find a solution to the seagull problem..
    ..if anyone got any advice on that, still hoping to finish that model and would really appreciate it!

work got busy, so only had a little time to play. so i made some heels and tall boots.

30sdklj.jpg

307w86t.jpg

118px7s.jpg

2yl4v0n.jpg
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reason you're having trouble with the gull wing is because you're trying to use non-manifold geometry. The better solution is to detach the 2D plane from the wing completely and attach it as floating geometry, even have it intersect with the 3D portion of the wing a bit so no holes show up in animation. So long as you weight it properly, it will animate just fine. If you're never going to see the gull from the side, however, just make the entire wing 2D.
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Overlord. I gave it a try, and here's the result. is it the default 3dsmax renderer that is the problem?

..i guess having the wing as just a single flat plane would be easier but i was kinda hoping to have it as a close up in part of a scene... one day, so was hoping to keep the shape.

searched for any tutorials on making any kind of bird to see how others had approached it but couldn't find any.

it's all the same 1 smoothing group.
    15her1i.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    something like this;

f3vsid.jpg
  • vavavoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess i am creating modular parts for characters, a collection of various footwear.

2d9p9jd.jpg

12333w2.jpg

t6cm8h.jpg

adi25z.jpg

now i got a small collection of footwear ready, i'm gonna head back to finishing off the hooded top i should have finished a while back.

...and keep plugging away at fixes for the seagull :)