Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Racing Driver

redbranch
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
redbranch polycounter lvl 18
I wanted to create a realistic, but heroic looking Racing Driver character. Combining hard edge elements and organic/clothing in one model. I've tried to make all the equipment and clothing as accurate as possible, but I pushed his overall proportions a little to give him a bit more of a heroic form.
All sculpted and textured in Mudbox, bar the Helmet and Hans device - which were subd modelled in Max.
I decimated the hi res meshes in Zbrush and then rendered them with VRay in Max. He's over 5 million tris in all.

driver_vray_01_final.jpg

Replies

• waldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome! The only things that bothered me was how he's holding the helmet, it feels really light. Maybe he could grip it harder or have a little different handpose to get the weight of the helmet right.

Also, depending on how his socks are, his pants maybe should curl up over the shoes more. But if he has socks that holds the lower part of the pants up it looks right.

Really cool character!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Check the size of the helmet compared to his head, right now it looks a little small. My snell helmet is a really cheap model and it is huge compared to the size of my head.
  • redbranch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks chaps.
    Waldo: The helmet is held lightly with the fingers curled under the chip pad and held against the leg too.
    The bottom of the race suit is elasticated at the ankles.

Alec: The helmet fits on his head I assure you. I think the FOV makes it look smaller.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome! Very realistic, great attention to detail. Do you have any more plans for this, or is it just for the beauty shot?
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I would change would be his eyes. They look a bit to grey and misty. I think to make them pop better, just use the old typical blue or brown eyes.

Aside from that and I would agree with how he is holding it looks slightly off only from a picture point of view (race helmets are incredibly light nowadays) the model looks great.

Awesome job :).
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Great work, great attention to details and very crisp all around
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    redbranch wrote: »
    Thanks chaps.
    Waldo: The helmet is held lightly with the fingers curled under the chip pad and held against the leg too.
    The bottom of the race suit is elasticated at the ankles.

Alec: The helmet fits on his head I assure you. I think the FOV makes it look smaller.

I wasn't saying that in regards to if it fits over his head or not. Right now it doesn't look like a racing helmet. If I take a measuring tape and wrap it around the eye line of my medium sized helmet I get a 36" circumference.
  • redbranch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    I wasn't saying that in regards to if it fits over his head or not. Right now it doesn't look like a racing helmet. If I take a measuring tape and wrap it around the eye line of my medium sized helmet I get a 36" circumference.

Ok Alec. I wasn't having dig or anything. I appreciate all feedback.
    It's an Arai GP6-RC which I had loaned to me while I built it so I'm just saying I'm confident it's the right size.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have a render of the back I'll post up soon. No other plans at the moment for him, but I can use the hi res elements to bake gaming assets from at work.
  • redbranch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some close ups of the details:

driver_vray_01_head_detail.jpg

driver_vray_01_shoes_detail.jpg

driver_vray_01_glove_detail.jpg

driver_vray_01_helmet_detail.jpg
  • redbranch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Further work on the eyes:
    driver_vray_01_final.jpg
  • St.Sabath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Great work overall,if i had to crit something its the helmet.although i dig a black helmet,this image could really pop with custom graphics and colors on the helmet,giving the viewer another focalpoint in the image.
    At the moment the helmet kinda dissapears in the image,the only thing that makes it stand out is the IBL/Env map on the object.I would take the Helmet to a seperate scene,and work on a nice colorswatch and custom graphics for the helmet..

just my 2 cents..
  • redbranch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a rear view of my racing driver model. I need to add some carbon fiber detail to the Hans device and helmet at some point, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

driver_vray_02_final.jpg