Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hawken Art Dump

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
I finally started updating my portfolio now that Hawken is in open beta. Not too much to show off yet, but hopefully more to come. :)

FRED_HP_2.jpg
Brass_LP_1.jpg
Brass_HP_2.jpg
Brass_wires_1.jpg
Kerby_HP_2.jpg
Kerby_LP_1.jpg
kerby_wires_1.jpg
Kerby_HP_1.jpg
Cupcake_HP_2.jpg
Cupcake_HP_1.jpg
Cupcake_LP_2.jpg
FRED_HP_1.jpg
FRED_wires_1.jpg

FRED_LP_1.jpg

More of the same on my portfolio.

UPDATES! Added drones and thrusters:
I would add the images here but I ran out of space in this post :(

Replies

• PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    I Love You?.... really good work man you guys made something totally outstandindg
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    haha damn these are SO fun looking! Damn good job!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow, really great stuff. Can I ask about your workflow? Is everything for each model hardmodeled and baked, or do you keep a catalogue of parts and mix-match? Texture sizes and polycount?

Really cool work, has a great feel to it.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    ysalex wrote: »
    Wow, really great stuff. Can I ask about your workflow? Is everything for each model hardmodeled and baked, or do you keep a catalogue of parts and mix-match?

nice to see more Hawken art.

are these highpoly mech built from scratch or recycled from old previous mechs mix of both ?
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone!
    ysalex wrote: »
    Can I ask about your workflow? Is everything for each model hardmodeled and baked, or do you keep a catalogue of parts and mix-match? Texture sizes and polycount?

All the mechs are modeled high poly and then baked down. We have a kitbash library that speeds the process up a lot though. I think it's around 1000 meshes now! Generally the big shapes are custom modeled, but a lot of the smaller stuff is grabbed from the library with maybe a few tweaks. But I'm pretty anal about sticking to a concept, so I usually custom model most of it. I say what the heck, that's how the library gets bigger! 8)

The mechs are separated into 3 sections: Lower legs, Upper legs/pelvis, and torso (the shielded mechs have 4 sections). Everything ends up at 1024 except the torso, which is 2048. I usually texture at double size though, and then downsize. Mechs are 15-20k triangles total. If you look closely at the wireframe images, I've left the triangle counts in the top left corner. Weapons and thrusters add a few thousand as well so they usually end up in the low 20ks.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Really neat mechs. I especially like the box one with the single wiper (Fred), I'll probably drive that around when Hawken hits mac.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    always a treat, thanks!
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for sharing your work and your workflow treats HitmonInfinity ^_^
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    add this to that wiki list!!!!

I really wanna make mechs now! :)
  • meshiah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meshiah polycounter lvl 17
    well done good sir, hows beta progress?
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
    Crazy awesome work here, that boxy mech has me all smiles!
  • nukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nukes polycounter lvl 4
    i like that tv with legs and guns lol:poly136:
    Ace stuff:thumbup:
  • Grorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the way Hawken design reminds me of front mission game. really nice models btw.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    Like Hawken played the alpha, and models are awesome great job, look at the chicken on the 6th i think haha nice touch :)
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Sick mechs! The execution of modeling/texture work is fantastic. I personally feel the designs are pretty ugly and hard to understand what is what. But still they are executed very nicely.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Stellar stuff, man! On average, what resolution were you guys using for the texture sheets?
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Beautiful work!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys!
    hawken wrote: »
    Really neat mechs. I especially like the box one with the single wiper (Fred), I'll probably drive that around when Hawken hits mac.

He's my fav too! He's actually the starter mech you get right away. He's intended to look a little quirky/less amazing haha.
    meshiah wrote: »
    well done good sir, hows beta progress?

Sup dude! Beta is moving right along. Still working out some kinks of course, but it's been a lot of fun!
    Like Hawken played the alpha, and models are awesome great job, look at the chicken on the 6th i think haha nice touch :)

Haha, you can thank Khang Le for that one. I made sure to put it in the texture! :D
    Autocon wrote: »
    Sick mechs! The execution of modeling/texture work is fantastic. I personally feel the designs are pretty ugly and hard to understand what is what. But still they are executed very nicely.

Thanks man. Yeah, our designs have been a bit polarizing. Personally, I can't get enough, but I know a lot of people aren't fans. I can't give anything away obviously, but I can tell you that we are definitely listening!
    Zepic wrote: »
    Stellar stuff, man! On average, what resolution were you guys using for the texture sheets?

1024 on lower legs, upper legs and pelvis, arms, and shields. 2048 for the torsos. I texture at x2 resolution though, so all these images are using bigger sizes than in the game.
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    i'm fan of these designs ... great stuff!
  • Sal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sal
    Love texturing
  • KonstantinL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonstantinL polycounter lvl 6
    wow great job! Truly inspiring work. Love the models, the design, and the textures! Now hows the animation and rigging??
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1024 on lower legs, upper legs and pelvis, arms, and shields. 2048 for the torsos. I texture at x2 resolution though, so all these images are using bigger sizes than in the game.

How many, textures per mech is used 3, or more ?
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    I like the boxy "TV" very much :) It has some industrial "old school" flair but it looks futuristic too! Very nice combination :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow great job! Truly inspiring work. Love the models, the design, and the textures! Now hows the animation and rigging??
    How are they rigged and animated? I'm not as familiar with that process, but I can elaborate a bit. There are three mech classes: Light, Medium, Heavy. All the mechs in one class share a rig. It has to be this way because of the customization we allow. Rigging is fairly simple since the rig is already built; it's just a matter of doing a quick skinning.
    How many, textures per mech is used 3, or more ?
    Light Mech has 3: Lower Legs, Upper Legs, Torso
    Medium Mech has 4: Lower Legs, Upper Legs, Torso, Arms
    Heavy Mech has 4: Lower Legs, Upper Legs, Torso, Shields
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    The Window wiper is is my favorite detail. Nice work!
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity ty for answer, i always mess up my texture sometimes i still think that i m modeling for Q2 engine :) Where 256x256 was a big one
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    always happy to see more hawken art !! awesome work man!
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    these are aweomse. that little one at the end must feel a bit inadequite against all those huling war mechs, poor little guy!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally adding more Hawken stuff! Lucky for me, I'm pretty much the "drones and thrusters" guy. Each month we release one of each. We've got some more really cool ones on the way that I unfortunately can't show yet, but I'll update once they are released! Some modeling was provided on a few of these by other artists such as Jon Lee, Long Hoang, and Andrea Nguyen.

A1.jpg
    C2.jpg
    C1.jpg
    E_D_B.jpg
    splita.jpg
    splitC.jpg
    1_2.jpg
    3_4.jpg
    7_8.jpg
    0_5_6.jpg
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    Nice new stuff Cameron, I recognize some of those details and decals haha, looking good
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    That Nvidia piece is SICK man! Awesome work here. Looking forward to more.
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome stuff cant wait for new updates on Hawken the Technioian patch is geting old xD and when are the 4 legged mechs coming? xD
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great stuff. The designs are very funky, I think that is a good thing in terms of style. You can tell hawken mechs from a mile away.

All the stuff in there looks like it would be a blast to make.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo wrote: »
    Nice new stuff Cameron, I recognize some of those details and decals haha, looking good

Haha... i may have raided some of your psds. :( Currently gathering my own though! CG textures needs to get some more stuff lol.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha, yah, honestly.. Really cool to see how you reused the little parts, makes it all consistent too, nice job integrating it all, I love the custom paint job ones
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo wrote: »
    Hahaha, yah, honestly.. Really cool to see how you reused the little parts, makes it all consistent too, nice job integrating it all, I love the custom paint job ones

Thanks man! Yeah, I did the first batch (pretty much what you see here) all in one go so they began to get very repetitive. I pretty much had an easy mode formula in my PSD structure lol. For these newer ones I'm trying to take a bit more time to keep things fresh. More on that later.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome cant wait!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Nice job, I really enjoy the texture work.
    Nice use of color and dirt, looking forward to seeing more :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Looking really sweet! :D Love the style of this game so much ^^
  • Mrpopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    Beautiful stuff! makes me want to try my hand at making a mech.

Would there be any chance of posting some texture sheets? :P
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Modeling looks really good, and the textures really sell it in the engine, very nice.
    Like the offline renders aswell, good lighting.

I just cant really get along with the shapes of the mechs. They are so unaesthetic in my opinion. I mean they are so out of balance visually. (not physically) There are so many weights which need hard adjustment to make it optically balanced. Proportions are really off imo.

If there are really huge arms with big weapons missing, then I could maybe understand, but like that its just really odd.
    And that one mech looks like a television with armstumps ? I mean come on. Would you identify as player with that one ? + this is the first mech you have ingame
    The model and texture sure are really good and detailed, but who designed that basic form?

It feels like your concept artist wanted to bring as much shape variation in as possible in a whole without looking at the benefit of the individual. This sure makes sense, but not for subjects meant to be the
    player identification.

Please correct me if im missing something, I dont wanna be too much of an ass here ;)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, Shrike. You're not an ass :) In fact, a lot of people agree with you. Our look is the brainchild of Khang Le, our creative director. Khang really wanted a unique and fresh look for our mechs and machinery. The idea is that the tech was scraped together with whatever they had lying around. It's supposed to be junky and a little fugly. Maschinen Krieger was also a huge inspiration. Having said that, mechanically our stuff obviously doesn't make much sense. We have admittedly lame excuses in our lore to explain these flaws... but it's mainly just because we liked what we liked. Personally, I love the style and I wish we would push it even further. But we're quickly learning that as a F2P title, the fans know best, and most of them would prefer more "traditionally" appealing designs. So expect to see that influence down the road.

As for Fred, the TV with stumps... he is intentionally supposed to be pretty retarded looking. It's the recruit mech everyone starts with, so we wanted him to be less appealing than the rest to promote spending $$$$. No shame! He is actually pretty polarizing. People love him or hate him. It should be no surprise that he's one of my favorites. :D

And yeah, all the stumps are attachments for weapons, which are pretty large.

Maybe we can win you over with some future designs! :)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the Hawken love, everyone!
    Azkur wrote: »
    Awesome stuff cant wait for new updates on Hawken the Technioian patch is geting old xD

Hehe, patience my friend! We've got some big updates in the works, stay tuned for info! Unfortunately that's about all I can say. :poly122:
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    awesome work! O_O
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work.

I really love that yellow drone/gun thing. It reminds me of old school Digimon where every missile had a face on it.
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work dude!
  • PIraT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PIraT polycounter lvl 8
    Design, textures... lovely!

Great stuff, i hope to see much more soon ^^
  • PanAtoman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PanAtoman polycounter lvl 7
    so cool.. I'm a first fan of this style. Great meh models and perfect texturing.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work, looks solid.
    These metal plates texture looks real good
    Kerby_LP_6.jpg
    I'm trying to get same feel for the metal plate for my vehicle, would you like to help me. Mine looks thin plate while your look hard one..
    Don't wanna take over your thread, But Please suggest me for the metal texture place at Volvo Sugge TP21 [WIP]