Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Personal Project for my Portfolio

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
JGreentheRookie polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys,

I decided to start a Office Environment.

I found this concept by Artyom Vlaskin and decided to give it a try.

The second thing I did is to plan which parts will be modular or independet pieces.

I finished my basic blockout of the Office and my my fourth step will be to model all
the assets in HighPoly and go on from there.:poly142:

Replies

• BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice, looking forward to more updates!
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the floor.

It has a 2048 Diffuse, Spec, Normal.
  • mazz423
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    It has a 2048 Diffuse, Spec, Normal.

Wait, huh? The floor should be the last thing to have a unique texture, just create a tiling texture for the tiles, and a second for the trim elements.

If you're wanting this to be a showcase of your skills i.e. a portfolio piece, you'll have to show that you know when it's appropriate to use tiling textures for something as opposed to unique ones. Just think of it as though you are creating an entire level instead of a small section, same rules should apply.

And a few other things to consider, The pillar in the middle of the room bares a striking resemblance to the walls, why not make the same texture work for both? You may want to go back to your plans and figure out what you're going to need to make and what can be reused.

Your blockout's looking pretty good so far, just think about where things can be optimized and use your textures and geometry sensibly.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice.

I will attack the issues as soon as I get some free time. ;)
  • JGreentheRookie
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the old_pc Prop. The mouse and the desktop will be added later.

Today I finished the Screen and the keyboard.

As of right now the Prop has a Diffuse, Specular, Normal and AO. :)
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    There's something weird about that Keyboard. I don't believe I've ever seen one like it...
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Its unique ;)

PS: its Not done yet , still Needs some letters.
    But its still unique ;)
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. It almost looks like someone turned a Coleco-Vision control paddle into a full-fledged keyboard.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    So u like it ?
  • DashXero
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, yeah. If someone turned a Coleco-Vision controller into a keyboard, that'd be totally rad.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the Highpoly Water_Dispenser:)
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    :)Finished the Water Dispenser

The Texture is 1024 and includes a Diffuse+Alpha, Spec,Gloss, AO and a Normal map.

Now its on to the next prop:)

Ps: is there another way to upload images or can u only upload them via manage attachments? I tried to embed them right after my post but it did not work.
  • Stvv
    Some very unique peaces, are you trying to be realistic or? According to the reference the top of the water dispenser should be bluey transparent. It's a very nice concept, and the concept is a bit realistic so you may want to be a bit more realistic with the textures, just a suggestion :)

The only way to do images besides what you are doing is upload them elsewhere and link them using img tag.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going for realistic but with a slight touch of Dishonored if you know what I mean.

Trying to find my own style:)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice props! I think you should work on the water container material so it looks kinda more reflective like plastic. But yeah, attachments are pretty inconvenient/annoying >_< So you just click on your image after you've uploaded it to an image hosting site, and . . .

This if you're using Photobucket:

IIA1M.jpg

This if you're using Imgur (better imo):

1EF1h.jpg
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    an aside: imgur has this "limit" on its public account, though I think it still allows the really old images to still "exist" right? You just can't see or search for them in your account, if I'm not reading their terms of service incorrectly.

Just noticed this today. :(
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the repost but I have to try this.

image_zps1ff439b2.jpg
  • dbz123
    Very nice so far. Will you high poly only the unique objects or the rest of the room like the pillar and counters? How do you distinquish which to do in an efficient way?
    I'm a little curious as I'm working on something similar myself :)
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    so, i guess I'm not sure why you're "trying to find your own style" with the props? To me it just looks like like being lazy and not going the extra step to make things look correct. The keyboard just looks rushed and not like you're challenging yourself enough. the material on all your stuff looks very concrete-ish as well. Play with the spec and get some more reference on what plastic should look like.

If you were to look into developing your own style I would imagine you should work on your own texturing style. thats just my 2 cents. If I were to spend time on this I would want to grow as an artist and venture out of my comfy zone.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    @Oobersli: LAZY does not equal JGreentheRookie :)

( my own style) I don't have a problem texturing it realistic.I just don't want to let it look too REALISTIC and too CARTOONY.
    And that's what I meant with style ( my own texture style).
    I mean why would I start a project like this and then be "lazy" I'm still a Rookie:poly121:

Anyways thanks for the crit will work on it:)

@dbz123: Everything except for the cartons/trash/cables will be modeled in highpoly:poly142:
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

Changed the Water Bottle, Diffuse and Spec overall (a little).

water_dispenser_8_zps481f833a.png
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Finaly I can start working on this project again. :)

Here is the beginning of the Wall section.

any critique welcome.

wooden_wall_zps1b17d2df.png
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Still WIP

any critique welcome

room_1_zps3c4fcfbd.png
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
  • PixelSuit
    Hey JG, is there a reason the wooden wall panels have gaps at the bottom? Seems a little strange and makes it very obvious you have tiled it across.

One thing to be careful of is keeping a sense of scale, for example your keyboard and computer screen look a little small (could be the camera angle). How do you go about ensuring your props are all to the correct scale with each other?

Which of these textures are place holder and which are finished? The wall texture seems to have some decals while the filing cabinets look like they are just plain grey.

It seems like the modeling is done to a sort of 'whitebox' or place holder level at the minute. Push your shapes and add details that make the model unique and your own. Anyone can model a table but how is yours different? That's the sort of thing that's going to push your portfolio and make a potential employer take notice. It doesn't all have to be done using geometry either, add some little details into the texture that will catch the eye and make it different, for example, some little worn and torn stickers the office worker might have stuck onto the filing cabinet. That is the sort of detail that doesn't cost anything in terms of polygons (as its added to the texture) but helps to catch the viewers eye and make them believe your image is a real environment which has been 'lived in'.

The only other thing I would mention is think of your environment as a real place, how do things work? Do things in the scene make sense? One small example would be, how are those wires near the ceiling attached to the walls? Might seem small but its that kind of thing that can instantly break the immersion of a viewer looking at your scene.

You have a really good start here and if you keep working at it you will have a great scene for your portfolio, keep up the work!
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    The Camera angle might be the Problem for the scaling to look weird. I measured each and every object in real life so that I have the right proportions.
    The grey boxes will be textured soon. And there will be a lot more detail in the scene at a later time.
    The wooden wall part has actually gaps in the concept art that I am looking at for reference.
    Like I said in an earlier post, most of the models will be done in high detail.
    Right now I'm experimenting with NDo2.
  • PixelSuit
    With regards to the gap in the wood texture, I would leave that out if I was you. This is a good example of a concept piece with nice smaller detail which can be difficult to reproduce in 3D. If you intend to have those wood planks tiling then you should leave the gap out otherwise it will be very obvious its a repeating pattern (as it is in the picture you posted). This is a time where you have to decide what's more important, a small detail like that or the ability to use smaller texture space and have the texture tile.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a few variations to the wooden wall part today. Right now its only 3 pieces but I'm gona add a fourth one too, so that I have a lot of variations.

Dont know if this sentence makes any sence but I'm really tired and need to go to bed.

---Looks at watch ohhh damn, it's already 3:33 am
    LOL

wood_wall_1_zpse01de904.png
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

Got a quick question.

Can u have a alpha cutout texture and a opacity texture ( turning opacity down in material editor) in the same material or not? if it works then how do I go about it? :)

help_zps01ae4c77.png
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    all depends on your alpha map.
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the wooden/concrete counter. I still need to finish the concrete part and the glass is not final yet.

The wooden window in the back has to be finished also.

counter_1_zps617585bd.png

counter_2_zps95e52dd9.png
  • JGreentheRookie
    Offline / Send Message