Home General Discussion

good excercise for zbrush?

Hey, I have been modeling for quite some time with maya, and now i want to learn zbrush. I have a really good sense of 3d and making models. In zbrush i know basics of navigation and basics of what the brushes do. What would be a good model to start off with thats not too complex purely inside of zbrush? If anyone can make some suggestions it will be appretiated. you can also post about any good models which were good exercises.

Thanks

Replies

• mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    try and make a head or bust from a cube or dynamesh. check out the eat3d zbrush tutorials for a run down of everything
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    or yuo could build a nice base mesh in max then zbrush the details :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speed sculpting. Start with a simple sphere or ztool base and see what you can get done in am hour. I did this for about a month (1 a day) and found my progress improved drastically. it's a great way to get familiar with the tools and workflow while also improving your skills. Plus anything you like you can always come back to later.
  • jin76
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the suggestions, i think i am gona just model random stuff for an hour everyday, I tried it today, and ended up with somewhat of a decent looking bull.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Use reference, study anatomy (both animal and human), and practice. It's a good idea to challenge yourself with a concept from somebody who has an already solid design to see if you can match it. Don't bite off more than you can chew though. Start off simple and move onto more complex concepts when you get more comfortable with various techniques and the software.

But seriously, anatomy dude. If you don't you'll seriously regret it later. Doing 2D drawings of anatomy can help you out just as much as sculpting the forms.
  • GrevSev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrevSev polycounter lvl 9
    An easy...exercise I like to do is sculpt facial features on each side of a Dynameshed primitive it works best with a cube as it has 6 sided to work independently on and With each side being flat you need to do a bit more tweaking to get it looking right in space.

Eyes
    Lips
    Noes
    Mouth
    Ears. Study all the forms!

ex.
    29az86q.png

Never "Study" or do an "Exercise" Without refrence

Charactere wise, Anatomy studys should be your exercise partner till your hands stop working
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Nice tip Grev. I will be trying that.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Whats a good recommendation of quick 1 hour things to sculpt if your not doing characters to increase your zbrush skills that isnt just rocks and bricks?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grev

That's fantastic. I'm totally going to steal that cube idea...
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Small Sci-fi doodle bots. Literally little critters or machine parts ect.

Tis what i'm planning when i get my own copy.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Autocon wrote: »
    Whats a good recommendation of quick 1 hour things to sculpt if your not doing characters to increase your zbrush skills that isnt just rocks and bricks?

Probably attempt to get faster at hard surface tools within ZBrush by doing old architecture and props and other misc hard surface stuff.

I've seen a couple people do amazing hard surface stuff in a quarter of the time it would take me to actually poly model it, it might come in handy for an environment artist knowing the harder-to-learn tools in ZBrush. I know I'm always trying to learn how to best use the often strange tools Pixologic implements.

For me it's just a piece of mind to know the various techniques/tools to where I can look at an image of a potentially difficult or tedious prop to model in Maya and go "yeah, I could probably just make that fairly easy in ZBrush". There are occasions where I have to hop into Maya but I try to keep it limited to challenge myself to come up with new ways to do stuff in ZBrush.

I do pretty much all my hard surface in ZBrush these days. If I really need a piece to be precise I just retopo over the surface that I sculpted.