Home Technical Talk

Blender's objects & shading

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
4evra polycounter lvl 4
Hi there.
I ventured a bit into Blender from 3DSMAX,and i run into some strange interaction,so i could use some explaining from someone who's familiar with it.

Anyway,i get an object into Blender.
Here's it's wireframe:
wo3Tz.jpg

Now,if i switch view to solid,i get this:
bBdyo.jpg
This is mostly like 3dSmax's default viewport and render when his objects got no texture.

Now,if i switch it to textured,i get this:
0RRt8.jpg

Now,what confuses me is that blender doesnt "shades the 3d object(similar to solid view picture).3dmax would do that no matter if texture is present or not.

I thought it could be light problem,since 3dmax puts default light.I placed lamp,increased its energy but still i get no shadows or '3d effects' from objects.

As u can see,the stairs do give away that iluusion,i managed to do it with some sort of BAKE option in blender.Is that the method i should use to give all objects the 3d look?
Or do they just need some texture around them for blender to do it automatically?

And a folloup question:
UW uwrap is soo strange in blender,it gives no option of rearanging or easy organising.Is there a format which i could export from 3dmax,which would preserve the UW layout i did in MAX and transfer it to blender's UW?

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    UV mapping in blender is much better then in 3dsmax.3dsmax just recently got uv mapping tools as powerful as blenders.

Press "N" scroll down to display and change shading to "GLSL".
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    ivanzu wrote: »
    UV mapping in blender is much better then in 3dsmax.3dsmax just recently got uv mapping tools as powerful as blenders.

Press "N" scroll down to display and change shading to "GLSL".

and that will fix shading inside blender.
    But will it transfer to the game too?
    Since i get white there as well.
    I googled a bit,looks like some vertex painting messes that one up.

Does blender has some "pelt unwrap" thing? :)
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Unwrapping in Blender guide:

The keyboard controls are identical to the 3D viewport. CTRL-tab to switch selection mode, right click to select, G/R/S to move/rotate/scale, X/Y/Z/shift to lock to axes, ctrl to snap.

All of your auto stuff is in on the of the menus at the bottom of the 2D viewport.

However, the best way to unwrap stuff in Blender, by far, is to use the automatic unwrap tool:

In your 3D viewport, go into edge mode, and make seams by selecting edges, ctrl-E, mark seam.

Select all of the faces, hit U->unwap.

Boom. Done. It's like pelt but it's instant.

The game? What game? Blender Game Engine?
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Pro evolution soccer series.
    pes62012123001310342.jpg

Their comunity always seeks for those "stadium makers',however,those who already know how to do it are unwilling to share the how to knowledge.
    So i ventured into it to set things straight,i just need to come over the unwraping part in blender and then i can release some noob friendly tutorial for them.

So far its the blender making it hard on me,i got used to 3dsmax,the whole blender interface and everything is soo strange and unfriendly to me,its gonna take me a while to get used to it :)

Many thanks for the unwwrap directions,i'll post results or further question once i try and apply the tehnique :)
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    and that will fix shading inside blender.
    But will it transfer to the game too?
    Since i get white there as well.
    I googled a bit,looks like some vertex painting messes that one up.

Does blender has some "pelt unwrap" thing? :)
    UV Mapping
    Blender has one of the best UV mapping tools available - its uv mapping is based on the ABF++ algorithm, which is more advanced than pelt mapping (most older tools), and LSCM based mapping tool

It has better stuff then pelt mapping.

Features:
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.62/UV_Tools
    Tutorial:
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/

PS

You can go in the preferences and choose blender to use maya hotkeys which are similar to 3dsmax so it will be a bit easier.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you modding a PS1 game?
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    its the same thing for every series.
    This is pes6,the same process is for pes 13.

I picked pes 6 because it was ligter in size for DLing.

Invazu,i mentioned pelt bacause in most cases i use that one,cause it lays out UV faces one by another,without overlapping.
    In blender i get some overlaping,so its a pain in the ass to arrange those.
    James's instruction will make it better
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean like UVs->Pack Islands? (bottom menu)

I doubt 6 and 13 are anything alike.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    first of all: you seem to be using a horribly old version of blender: 2.49 or older. especially if you are preparing a tutorial, download the newest version from the blender homepage. it has a complete changed ui and is much easier to use (besides having a lot of added features). some people even say it is easier to use than max. just make sure you can export to the desired format to use the model in game.

i agree with ivanzu: GLSL lighting should give you shading on your meshes.

while uv-unwrapping the 'w' key is your friend (at least in the newer versions of blender, i dont know about the pre-2.5 versions) it gives you the tools to arrange your uvs in straight lines to clean up and for easier texturing.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its the same thing for every series.
    This is pes6,the same process is for pes 13.

I picked pes 6 because it was ligter in size for DLing.

Invazu,i mentioned pelt bacause in most cases i use that one,cause it lays out UV faces one by another,without overlapping.
    In blender i get some overlaping,so its a pain in the ass to arrange those.
    James's instruction will make it better

You have to use seams.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nicely spotted, I didn't notice he was running 2.4x
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Ye,i did use 2.65 earlier,heck,i even learned most of stuff in it on that version since its more noob friendly in interface terms.
    But this stadium editing requires 2.49b version,since the later versions of blender dont support some python scripts used for pes6 stadium formats.

However,newer versions support the scripts for pes 13,which are different in terms of navigating and using them.

But,the process is the same.Stadium has to be split in exact parts with exact naming.Then scripts use those parts and change them to fit into pes.Doesnt matter actually,i don't wanna spam the thread with some pes moding mumbo jumbo(unless some1 is interested).

Could be that most of problems i've got is due to old blender version.buti cant switch to newer one.

@ivans, blender guesses the seam's places and puts them automatically if none is present,like in max?

Does 3ds export format from max preserves texturing and UWs?
    I could do the texutring and unwraping in 3dmax,then just import into blender then
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ivanzu, blender guesses the seam's places and puts them automatically if none is present,like in max?

Yes if you use smart UV map but if you just use UVunwrap then it just places a single seam some where on the mesh.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Yes if you use smart UV map but if you just use UVunwrap then it just places a single seam some where on the mesh.

Now,that explains a lot :)
    My assumption was wrong.
    Thats why the unwrap went wrong all the time
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are only supposed to use UVunwrap function when you already have seams placed on the mesh if you don't then its useless.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i don't want to sound presumptuous, but what exactly is the point in making a tutorial for a 6 years old game that requires you to use a completely outdated verision of blender if the newer version of the game lets you use the much more comfortable version of blender?

try to read up on the blender homepage which model formats you can import to blender with uvs. its less a problem of 3ds max than one of the support of blenders import scripts.
    you would have to redo the materials i guess, but that is only for viewing in the viewport and not for the game itself, right?

honestly, i doubt that blender 2.49 places uv seams automatically. even if it does i would advise you to place them yourself for greater control.
    if you unwrap a mesh in blender 2.6, there is a function to automatically match all island's scale and to pack them on the 0,1 space. maybe there is something like this in 2.49, too.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky wrote: »
    honestly, i doubt that blender 2.49 places uv seams automatically.

It does just they are not visible you cant uv map without seams everything uses seams.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    i don't want to sound presumptuous, but what exactly is the point in making a tutorial for a 6 years old game that requires you to use a completely outdated verision of blender if the newer version of the game lets you use the much more comfortable version of blender?

Well,i'll explain precisely.

Between blender and Pes6 there is a tool which converts SEF(a blender format) to BIN(a pes format).Its called SIE(stadium importer/exporter).
    Blender doesnt has the SEF export feature by default,its added by python scripts.
    Those python scripts work only till version 2.49b,after that one,u can add the script,but u wont get a SEF export option in export menu.
    Since pes6 modding is still an active one,thats why they are condemned to use the old blender.The guy who made the script went to pes 12,13,so he didnt make the SEF script work on newer blender versions.

Instead,he made another script,for new PES games,which doesnt give a export SEF feature but instantly converts a files into BIN.
    One would expect for it to work on pes6 files,but it doesnt.Pes 6 and newer PES games differenciate a bit in the BIN file constenst.

What i'm covering with the tut will be:
    -creating stadium in 3d program of choice
    -importing it into blender
    -doing proper part naming and parenting required by scripts
    -using scripts to export it

Now,that process is the same for old and a new script.Its just that the new script delivers different BINs,only usable by newer PES,while older script delivers old style BIN.
    So,tutorial is universal,even though the final process of BIN creating isnt.

I'll check the 3dmax support,i've managed to get some UV's and get into the aranging process,but still,3dmax will be much faster.

Thanks everybody for these quick replies.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure the script isn't just disabled? File->User Preferences->Addons->Search for it->Enable
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    No,it inst there at all.Even if i go addon file and search for it,and add it,it still doesnt show.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i wouldn't bother trying to uv unwrap or edit models in blender 2.49 in this case. i would just look for a way to import finished models with seams, uvs and everything to 2.49 and export them from there. the steps that you really have to do in 2.49 might be a little tedious to do, though (assuming for example that you have already split your mesh at hard edges resulting in duplicated vertices)
    this way you can use any modelling app that you have a working export/import routine for with blender 2.49. .obj is quite widely supported, i believe.

maybe this: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts helps...
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    i wouldn't bother trying to uv unwrap or edit models in blender 2.49 in this case. i would just look for a way to import finished models with seams, uvs and everything to 2.49 and export them from there. the steps that you really have to do in 2.49 might be a little tedious to do, though (assuming for example that you have already split your mesh at hard edges resulting in duplicated vertices)
    this way you can use any modelling app that you have a working export/import routine for with blender 2.49. .obj is quite widely supported, i believe.

maybe this: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.4/Py/Scripts helps...

I did a test with importing exporting earlier,i made 2 cubes in 3dmax,on 1 i did a 'standard' unwrap where all 6 sides are one on top of each other,and on the 2nd cube i did a T-shape unwrap.

3ds and obj both preserved the specific unwraps the boxes had inside 3DSmax once imported into blender.

So yea,that means i can use blender only for final export,and do most of work in 3dsmax.
    I'll try to keep it at least even thought,its a nice opportunity for me to learn some of the Blender.

Cheers :)
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good to hear that it worked. however, make sure that every aspect you need does work beforehand. as far as i know, the importer for 3ds is a result of reverse engineering, as the file format is not open source. because of that some features might not be supported...