Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

OH GOD! what'd i get myself into...

so firstly...

man this forum is very inspiring. The Polycount submissions to Dota 2 got me thinking...
"how hard could this possibly be?"

so turns out a lot harder then i thought.

why'll i am trudging along just fine so far.

I do have one, soul crushing, question.

I've been learning Zbrush to begin with as apposed to Maya or 3dstudio.

So i've started my modeling for a dota 2 armor in Zbrush

I've also messed with the retopology tools in Zbrush.

I'm hoping that i can create my detailed sculpt then just retopologize it back down into an acceptable poly count from within Zbrush then export and "rig" it all in maya.

this is my current workflow idea. I figure if i can export from maya to zbrush the base model why can't I export low poly and high poly models from Zbrush to Maya.

is that wrong?

Currently working on a helm for Drow and i've either been deforming simple box shapes into the right shapes or extracting base model geometry to create objects i can sculpt from.

I'm sure I'll have way many more, more technical, questions moving forward. but i'll try and Research those instead of just asking like i'm doing now.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Pictures please.

There's nothing "wrong" about your workflow, because my confusion is that A. What does your low poly look like? B. What exactly is your goal?
  • Spiffy664
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy664 polycounter lvl 6
    In the tool pallete there is an export button, export it as OBJ, import it into max / maya, do whatever you want from there.

You can realistically do a low poly workflow entirely in zbrush: highpoly sculpt, decimate / retopo / Qremesh etc down to an acceptable poly count, unwrap with UV master, polypaint it up if you want, export as OBJ, export the highpoly, bake your normal map using all averaged / soft normals. The only problem I have so far is I don't think zbrush can give an exported OBJ hard edges and soft edges. e.g. in maya you can select some edges to be hard, some to be soft, export that model, and when you bake your normal maps you will retain those hard edges where you want them.

All soft models do have an advatange in games though as you can have little to no UV seams and its pretty effecient.