Home General Discussion

Anyone familiar with Gameloft's hiring process?

I understand in general they give you a art test once they received your application, and then you get an interview if they like your test. But my question is how long does each step usually take, like how long does it take for them to respond to your initial application(or letting you know it's rejected at all)? Any current or ex employee would like to share their experiences. Thanks.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    I dont believe that there is a fixed ammount of time for that. Just do some art while you wait ;)
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    And more importantly keep on applying to other places while you wait.
    3dSoul wrote: »
    like how long does it take for them to respond to your initial application(or letting you know it's rejected at all)
    They probably won't have the time replying if you don't make the cut.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes it takes some time. This time of year is VERY slow for the hiring process FYI. They were really impressed with my art test in particular and it tooks them weeks to get back to me.
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    It would depend on the studio and how busy they are at the time.
    I don't think that there is any harm asking them.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    like how long does it take for them to respond to your initial application(or letting you know it's rejected at all)?

Most places don't respond at all if unsuccessful.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for work is like... trawling for crabs (no I don't mean down in the red light district), you take your boat out to a spot you think has a lot of crabs and you drop a few pots and then go to another spot and do the same thing. Later you come back and pick them up and see what you have. Normally you find some crazy ghost crab has eaten your bait and is giving you the finger, so you go back out and do it again.

Ok that was confusing but the thing is you keep working and keep on looking. It makes the "hey remember me email" that much more easier to write when you have something new to show them.

"Hey guys, just checking up on things, oh and CHECK OUT THIS AMAZING ART!!! (guitar riff) that I cranked out while I was crazy bored waiting for your offer to come through.That's right I did this in 30min, stop me now before I do it again!"

Ok be a bit more classy but you get the idea, go work on stuff, it helps.

If it all goes right you might have two places making offers. Then you put the offers in a cage and watch them fight to the death.

If it all goes wrong, the extra art you did, helps you move on and hopefully helped you improve your portfolio.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Heya. If you just send in your CV and folio, and they arent interested, I wouldnt expect a reply back from them. Sucks a bit, but its normal. Just move on and apply for other jobs.

If they are interested, expect a reply quite quickly, with a test etc.

If you complete the test and submit it, then I would definitely expect a reply back, but perhaps not for up to a month. If youve heard nothing after a month, email.

It changes from studio to studio I imagine, but Ive always found Gamelofts HR people are pretty good
  • 3dSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been 4 days and I haven't heard back from them yet, no art test or anything. I applied through their website so I don't know how to contact the hr officer handling this. Oh well, thanks for the advises everyone!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    4 days is barely any wait - I usually wait 2 weeks to checkup if I don't hear anything. The whole process from first contact, interview, art test -etc... has typically taken about a month from my experience.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    They put me through the process pretty quickly as I remember - I think they were pretty desperate to get new folks in at that point though.
  • loneraver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    My experience has been that if they don't think your art style matches you might not hear anything back at all.

Otherwise they'll send you an art test in about a week (in my case it was a few days after me sending my link/resume).

When they send you the art test it usually says in the email that it could take up to a month for them to review.

Hope that helps.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Gameloft's hiring process? They probably just copy someone elses hiring process. ;)
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Poke them once a week and you'll hear back for sure. Avoid mondays since people tend to be in a bad mood. But the recruiters here at montreal are really nice people, if that's the studio you're applying for.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Just want to point out that Acronox's post is absolutely right for this time of year. It's crazy slow during the holidays. I'd not expect much until after the start of January. Good luck!
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    fonfa wrote: »
    Poke them once a week and you'll hear back for sure. Avoid mondays since people tend to be in a bad mood. But the recruiters here at montreal are really nice people, if that's the studio you're applying for.

i don´t think this is good advice at all.
    most likely they wont respond if you don´t appeal to them, and if you keep anoying them you may end up in their spam folder, denying the success of any future attemps.
    just wait 2 weeks, if you don´t hear anything until then, ask ONCE what the status of your application is.
    no matter how nice HR people seem to be, they are relentless concerning applicants that don´t appeal to them.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should post your portfolio if you want feedback or something. I can definitely take a look later.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I didn't wait too long for receiving negative response from them,but I asked them for my application process and on the next day I got their reply,thankfully.But if you don't suck badly like me you'd get a response in a more prolonged time period but as far as I learned from others there's no such a thing like no response at all.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    It might take a while. Somebody from them approached me in 2008 and asked me to do a little art test. I am still waiting for their reply to my works.

Honestly I didn't mind all that much since, a day later, I found out the representative was from India or something, and I was still attending school in the Netherlands. Otherwise I would have sent a follow-up email a few weeks later.
  • 3dSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I will wait 2 weeks before contacting them. Although I don't even know who to contact. I applied through their website. Thanks everyone.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I understand in general they give you a art test once they received your application, and then you get an interview if they like your test. But my question is how long does each step usually take, like how long does it take for them to respond to your initial application(or letting you know it's rejected at all)? Any current or ex employee would like to share their experiences. Thanks.

When you apply for the game loft, usually first they will send you an email telling you that their are currently reviewing your qualifications (like any other process of job application.) You receive a call from them for further questions regarding your qualifications (that is considered the first interview,) then they give you a test relevant to the position you applied for. Then they either send you an email notifying you that they will not be proceeding with your application, or they will call you in for the second interview, and I think there are two more.

So in short, brace yourself for 1 phone interview, 1 test, and three live interviews, should they decide to hire you.
  • Arcanox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three live interviews? Seems like a bit much?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    That was not my experience, 1 phone and 3 in-person, could be the studio though...

I had an atypically fast response to my art test (3 days), a phone interview with the recruiter a few days later, a phone interview with the art manager the next week, got flown across the continent for an in-person interview after 2 weeks of waiting (they had to talk to HQ), and then was presented with an offer the next week.

And, now, I've been there over a year, in Montreal.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The phone interview and art test were sufficient for them to offer me a position (which I didn't wind up taking because, hey, giant robot monkey). I was going through a recruiter who I'd worked with for several positions in the past. Maybe that had some impact, although that seems somewhat unlikely.

That was for the Aukland studio, which is probably a bit smaller and being New Zealanders, maybe a bit more relaxed about things than those uptight Canadians. Or something.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arcanox wrote: »
    Three live interviews? Seems like a bit much?

It really dumbs down to how you sell yourself to them. If your phone interview went amazing and your art test was epic, they may not even bother proceeding any further inquiries and hire you right on spot.

It was a game programmer's position but from what I was told, this was their hiring process for any position. Interviews are fine if its man to man. If its you vs 2 board of directors and a recruiter, then you are fucked side ways.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a fairly poor opinion of them based on them sending out art tests en masse before even speaking with anyone (and I suspect without even checking their cv) and then failing to get back to anyone. This was through a recuiter, but she claimed she was instructed by Gameloft to send the test to anyone she could find. luckily I was smart enough to refuse the art test based on how freely they sent out a two week art test (character & environment). A few weeks later the recruiter was complaining about not hearing back from Gameloft on any of the applications.
    This could be a case of miscommunication, but I've run into a few other recruiters handing out Gameloft art tests like candy, so who knows...
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Goeddy wrote: »
    i don´t think this is good advice at all.
    most likely they wont respond if you don´t appeal to them, and if you keep anoying them you may end up in their spam folder, denying the success of any future attemps.
    just wait 2 weeks, if you don´t hear anything until then, ask ONCE what the status of your application is.
    no matter how nice HR people seem to be, they are relentless concerning applicants that don´t appeal to them.

According to my experience, like 90% will answer on the second email. You might get a negative answer like "sorry, not a good match", but better than no answer at all. If people want you to stop emailing them, they'll say so. There's nothing wrong in asking your application status. Asking politely is WAY different than stalking and annoying people with no work to back it up.

If you're afraid of being annoying, you might just end up being too passive and losing a job opportunity to someone who's more proactive.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seriously, wait two weeks. Being annoying is not a good thing, and will in fact get you ignored. If we're considering someone and they hassle us before even two weeks have passed, that does not reflect well on said person.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    According to my experience, like 90% will answer on the second email. You might get a negative answer like "sorry, not a good match", but better than no answer at all. If people want you to stop emailing them, they'll say so. There's nothing wrong in asking your application status. Asking politely is WAY different than stalking and annoying people with no work to back it up.

If you're afraid of being annoying, you might just end up being too passive and losing a job opportunity to someone who's more proactive.

understatement my friend :D

if you have the skills it takes, the one time you ask is simply to remind them of your application in case it got lost in the masses when you send it.

they know you want to work for them when you send the application. after that its only having the required skills, or not having them.
    and by skills we are talking soft- and hard skills.

thats atleast my oppinion on applications.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I guess we agree then that it's just a matter of balance, making yourself noticed but not too much, right?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    True. I've known enough HRs to confidently say that some of them just do a sloppy job. You forget to weld a few verts, they forget to follow up on emails. Same thing. And both could go easily unnoticed. It's not like most positions are super urgent and not like Art Directors remember to ask HRs about that portfolio they've seen. Apart from hiring people they actually have a game to make and a studio to run.

So I'd say nothing bad in following-up if you have confidence in your skills. Don't be afraid to be pushy.
    On the other hand if you know it's was a long shot, then it would probably be more productive for you to move on right away and do more art.
  • 3dSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but if I were to contact them after 2 weeks about my application status, how do I know their emails. I applied through the gameloft website so there was no contact info. Is it too intrusive to contact the hr people of the same studio I applied for through linkedin. What's the proper way to approach them about this? Thanks.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess we agree then that it's just a matter of balance, making yourself noticed and appealing

Fix't

Technically, selling yourself to the Employer.
    Sorry to bring this thread up again, but if I were to contact them after 2 weeks about my application status, how do I know their emails. I applied through the gameloft website so there was no contact info. Is it too intrusive to contact the hr people of the same studio I applied for through linkedin. What's the proper way to approach them about this? Thanks.

It is best to leave it for them to get back to you, if you have an email confirmation or the address which they used to send you the art test you can respond to that again to check up on them.

I would strongly suggest you to wait until they analyze your art test and get back to you on it. In the mean time, you should apply to other places as well and do possible art tests. I hear Arena.net have uploaded the art test and is still hiring. Perhaps you should look in to that.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Well for the last "successful" application I had (in July), I got an email a few days after my intital application with an art test for 3 days, which I completed and I got myself an interview and didn't hear back. So after two weeks I rang the HR and was told that they were still deciding..... Still haven't heard back lol so I imagine I didn't get it, which was a shame cause I was pretty psyched for it.

I was just at least like some sort of response, even a mass "you failed" template email would be alright by me. At least I'd know then.

But best of luck to you 3dSoul.
  • 3dSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still no reply...the submittal status still says "received submission" on the gameloft job site.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    It's been 13 days since this thread was started. I would just move on at this point to be honest. You can't get caught up on one studio, aside from emailing a follow up email, the hiring process is out of your control. So just do what you are able to affect which is your own development as an artist. Just keep getting better and keep applying. You can always re-apply after 6 to 12 months later anyways
  • 3dSoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I was really looking forward to the art test to be honest. I really wanted this one, sucks I didn't even get a reply, oh well. Thanks everyone.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    If you're really interested in doing the art test just do a Google search. There has been more then a few people (read, tons of people) to do their test. You may not find all the specific requirements, but you will get a general idea of the test.

I'd also encourage you to get in touch with the recruiter, and apply directly though him/her. Applying through an online system will just put you in an electronic bank with hundreds of other applicants.

Anyway, don't get discourage. Make some new art and apply again! Good luck :):):)
  • 3dSoul
  • santtiagohoyos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    santtiagohoyos triangle
    I aplyed and like 2 days later i was sent an email saying that they had received the application at HR and that they reviewed it and they would like to send me a selection test. of-course i emailed back saying yes i will take the test, however i researched and i believe it means some kind of personality type test that is supposed to tell companies your personality and how you react under stress and is suposed to give them an idea if you are a good fit to their team. i was wondering if anyone had the same response. I replied back yesterday saying i would take the test and know its soon but i am kind of anxious to know if that means they are just conducting some kind of research and they dont even liked my work but are required to take that test, or if it means they like your work and the test is a standard thing after they liked your work in order to continue with the recruitment prosses?