Home General Discussion

Substance Designer 3 - 99$ Non-commercial use Licence

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Jerc interpolator
Hi all,

I've been a lurker on PC for a while and it happens that I also work for Allegorithmic, so I'm starting this thread to tell you all that Substance Designer 3 is now available for 99$ for Non-commercial use licenses.

I'll keep the thread updated with new features, tuts and content as they become available, and most probably some special discounts for polycounters :)
You can also use this topic for letting us know of any feedback, feature request, bug, rant, etc.

For those of you not familiar with the tool, Substance Designer is a node based texturing tool in which we try to gather as many texturing tasks as possible into one software: Image compositing, painting, baking, scripting, all in the same environment streamlined for game texturing.

The goal is to automate the most tedious tasks while keeping full control over what really matters, from AO baking to in-engine tweaking (substances can be modified within 3dsMax, Maya, Unity and more big players to come very soon).

We decided to release this NCU licence for all the students, hobbyists, and indies out there who can't afford a 600$ software. You'll still get access to all the features for use in personnal and portfolio pieces, prototyping or early dev work.

So as a first feature update, here is what the new library view will look like in the upcoming Christmas update :)

VrSkg.jpg

It allows you to monitor any folders on your computer or network, filter assets, store them in custom categories, perform a quick search through all of them, add favorites and toolbars, etc.

And finally some Substance Designer Made eye candy from our friend and fellow polycounter Jarred Everson!

PzrSH.jpg

EDIT: Ho and by the way, you can support us on Steam Greenlight

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    So its like dDo? How well do they compare? A video demo would be cool.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    there are plenty of videos out there, just click the steam greenlight link :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Got the news by email, and instantly grabbed it. Really glad you added the new license; previously, for $599, I was painstakingly evaluating the 30-day copy to figure out if I really truly wanted it for my personal projects.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    its super awesome! still torn between that and ddo. ._.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    ZacD wrote: »
    So its like dDo? How well do they compare? A video demo would be cool.

I would consider it more of a photoshop alternative for texturing. You should check out the videos on their site. It's a real powerful tool.
    divi wrote: »
    its super awesome! still torn between that and ddo. ._.
    It's not the same thing as ddo at all. It's more of a complete alternative to Photoshop, as far as texturing an asset goes.
  • Disaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disaster polycounter lvl 9
    This looks fantastic. Might pick up a license as a Christmas gift to myself.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Bigjohn is completely right.

To me, the philosophy behind ddo and ndo is to fill the gaps and weaknesses of Photoshop for texturing and it does it very well. Designer's philosophy is more about starting from the idea that Photoshop may not be the best tool for texturing in the first place, at least not for all the texturing work.

The main feature that makes it a lot more powerful than Photoshop workflow wise is the ability to modify the textures directly in an engine or 3d software without having to go back to Designer. The assets created with Designer never become static, even in-game, you can still modify the texture at runtime.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome! Really think SD is the way of the future for textures! Love this tool and think the non-commercial license will help it find more users (who will love it)!
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, looks super interesting!
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like the program has improved by leaps and bounds since the last time I looked at it, definitely getting this for myself.
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    I'm thinking of giving the trial a shot during Xmas break. Anything that speeds along the monotonous part of texturing and gives way to the actual creative part is something I'll always invest in. But how do you guys handle seams?

I was searching around and came across this guy's post on another forum. He voiced my concerns perfectly and I hope polycount doesn't mind me quoting from another board:

"This is an impressive tool, but has a major flaw IMHO. Unlike a procedural system that operates in 3D, Substance Designer works in 2D, generating textures that must be UV mapped on 3D models. This means that in many cases you'll get seams across UV borders and SD doesn't provide any tool to fix them.
    Having a non destructive system like this is amazing, but it becomes useless if I have to fix seams with a destructive solution such as projection painting.
    Imagine tweaking a few parameters and then regenerating hundreds of textures in one click. SD allows you to do this with its batch tool and its amazing... too bad you'll have to fix seams in every texture by hand, one by one, using a 3D painting tool such as BodyPaint, Zbrush, 3DCoat, Mari, etc..."
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indeed on the seams issue, as long as you work on a flat 2D texture for environment for example, everything will be seamless automatically, however as soon as you are working on a texture atlas or a prop with custom UVs, we are not doing better than Photoshop when handling seams... for now.
    We are working on the issue.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    certainly good to know that you're both aware of, and actively working on a solution to that problem!

will be purchasing this when my girlfriend isn't looking :D
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i just bought it on the last day when it was on halloween sale... :(
    thought i wouldnt make a better deal in the future.
    its still worth the money, though. :)

i do hope to see an increase in users and maybe some more posts about sd3 now, here on pc!:)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Sorry to hear that xXm0RpH3usXx, I'll contact you by email so we can work something out :-)
  • womball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw this today at cgtalk. Looks really cool. The brushes and layers looks very useful for 3d work. I'm surprised you can't just stamp out the seams on the model itself. Are their videos of complete characters done with this?

Also nodes can be unwieldy and confusing. Are their decent tutorials on how to use them for it?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    you can't fix the seams in photoshop?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    @womball: There are several character video tutorials over here, one with an organic character, covering the basics of Designer, the second with a sci-fi cyborg going a bit more in depth.

Also these 2 YouTube playlists, here and there, will guide you through all the available nodes and the painting tools.
    you can't fix the seams in Photoshop?

If you use the stamp tool to fix the seams in Photoshop, you can also do it directly in Designer using the built-in stamp/brush tools.

If you really want to use Photoshop, you can simply copy the content of any node from Designer to the clipboard and paste it in Photoshop for retakes and fine-tuning.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool - been meaning to try this for a while, now there's no excuse anymore :)

Is there any non-video tutorial and/or documentation anywhere ? I find that the more technical something is, the better it works in text as opposed to video. Especially when it comes to quickly jumping to a certain piece of information.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There is an embedded help file and we will have a complete online documentation with the next update, just right after the holidays if the world didn't end.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha cool !
    Well so far I found this :
    http://download.allegorithmic.com/tutorials/substance/english/substance_designer_1.1-user_guide.pdf

I think eventually it would be great to see detailled transcripts of the video tutorials. It would allow users to easily search through them for specific items.

The following is a very good formatting example - crystal clear and easy to print out.
    http://www.simonfuchs.net/folio/tut01_getting_started.htm
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This tutorial is what you need if you want to quickly set up a simple material in Designer.

We try to have as many tutorials as possible , but Designer has a very broad range of applications, so it's difficult to cover everything, I'm taking notes that we need more written basic tutorials, hopefully we can release some of those in a short time-frame.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Glad to see this posted on Polycount with such a low price tag! Saw the tool in action was amazed by the results you can get in so little time. Can't wait to see what you guys are gonna come up with in the future :)
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    I think the seams thing is more of a limitation of working in 2D space with UVs in general. I mean, if you textured an asset using nothing but Photoshop, you'd get seams just the same. My solution has always been cleaning up the specific layer in a 3D painting app, and bringing it back to PS. You can do the same with substance.

It's much less than ideal. But an actual solution would require some kind of 3D painting at any case. I hope they'll add that to Substance.

Actually, there still isn't a full 3D painting solution out there. The closest I've seen is 3D-Coat, and Mari looks promising in their theoretical next version which will have layers. But those are both quite primitive still. If substance can jump on that, it could get a solid lead on that aspect of things.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    the viewport should handle around 400 000 tris without too much lag. The model showing black is either an issue with the obj format (sometimes it seems the texture coordinates don't go through, we need to investigate this, and I recommend using FBX instead.

The other issue you could be facing is that the light may be inside of the model if it's too big. You can move the light away from the model using Shift and dragging with the right mouse button.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    IF you have an obj that crashes every time, could you send it over ? We still need to track down why some obj work perfectly fine while some other appear black or cause a crash.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just wanted to say thanks for adding an affordable non-commercial version of this. Ive been using MapZone for about 4 years now and have been wanting to get SD since it came out.

you guys rock.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hi all,

We just released [size=+2]Substance Designer 3.2[/size]

Here is what you can expect from this (free) update:

- New Library View
    - Refined Explorer View
    - Improved performances
    - Reduced global memory consumption
    - Removed the Gallery View
    - Added a New Substance Wizard
    - Added an online documentation
    - Added a statistics module
    - Boot time reduced to 2 seconds !
    - Many bug fixes

Our friend Wes McDermott aka The3DNinja recorded a nice video to introduce the new Library view, I recommend watching this if you want to get up to speed with the new asset management system in a few minutes.

[vv]56963582[/vv]
  • duke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duke polycounter lvl 13
    Does SD render text yet?

Edit: oooooh a statistics module. Ok now I want to upgrade from 2.0 - will wait for another sale!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Text is not supported yet but flattened PSDs are, so you can still use Photoshop for that and use your PSD as an input in designer.

The statistics module is a user stats gathering tool helping us see what is used and how in Designer to help us drive future improvements.

We are also working on a profiler though, that will allow you to fine-tune the performance of your substances.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    For all of you Substance and/or UDK users I bring good news!

Runtime Substance support is the main highlight of the latest UDK drop.

Go grab it now and do marvelous art. :)

Here is an example of how you can use Substance in UDK to speed up texture management and iteration:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VbJKKD3IzU"]Substance Utilities for UDK - YouTube[/ame]
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    SD in UDK? This is too awesome!
  • Sculptaur
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is there a list of how processor heavy each node is?
    something to help optimize our graphs?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There will be a profiler in the next update slated for a GDC release (end of March).
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Killer update! Nice job guys :)
  • Wolvawab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little sneak peek for SD3.5: live link between Photoshop and Substance Designer.
    http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,94.30.html
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    [size=+2]Substance Designer 3.5 is live :)[/size]

What's new:
    • PSD import
    • Live link with Photoshop
    • Hardware Tesselation support in the 3D view
    • Multi-material support
    • Performance profiler
    • Huge computation performance boost

Grab this new free upgrade HERE
  • kenjiharu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Substance Designer 3 is now available on Steam. Congrats!:)
    There`s the question. Commercial license for whom (for freelancers, indies or just for big companies)?
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Just a small question for the steam version : is that the latest version up to date? What about the updates ?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, it's the latest version and updates will be released for the Steam and non-Steam version at the same time.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    any chance there will be competitions or giveaways for this? i hate to sound "cheap" but $590 is a lot for a freelancer to drop on any tool, and a LOT of thought has to be given to that kind of purchase.

the only other thing (outside of what i would consider to be a core app, like zbrush or max for example) that costs this much is hair farm, which i only purchased after an extended trial (very kind of them) and much deliberation.

i completely understand and agree with the price point for commercial licences from a studio stand point, but for a freelancer i think it's one of those "i'd love it but..." purchases.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You might want to wait until this afternoon and check CGSociety ;)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Hmm well actually, you may have to wait a little more, until next Monday. CGSociety will host a big contest and SD will be free for 90 days for contestants. A good way of trying the tool on a real project.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Jerc wrote: »
    Hmm well actually, you may have to wait a little more, until next Monday. CGSociety will host a big contest and SD will be free for 90 days for contestants. A good way of trying the tool on a real project.

cool! Im really curious about using this on unity3D on ios mobile devices, I have read that you have to keep your substances relatively simple on mobile and it has to recalculate the materials on every frame is that true? surely that kills performance a bit?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    It does not recalculate every frame, just once, but mobile CPUs being what it is, it can still be slow and lower end devices.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    looks like an awesome tool - thanks alot!
    Is there an CE3 integration planned ?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Starting today, there is a new game oriented CGChallenge over at CGSociety with a FREAKING HUGE prize pool.
    Those interested can use Substance Designer for free for 90 days.

About the CE3 integration, we are wiiling to, go bug Crytek :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Steam sales are on and Substance Designer is at [size=+2]50% off[/size] right now!
    That's [size=+2]50 bucks[/size] for the personal version, won't get any cheaper than that :)
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    Woot! thanks :) I'll give it a go at home and hopefully try to get some licences at work :)