Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Potion Caravan - wip

Vysuki
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
Flushing out a low poly caravan that is pulled from site to site selling potions.

The chest on the back is just a placeholder for now as I'm wanting to make that a seperate model too and aren't quite sure how I want it to look.

Any crits are welcomed. :D

WGXtI.jpg

Replies

• sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool I like it. Curious as to what style you'll do.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    looks solid. IMO i would take any of your straight edges an bend them slightly. push the proportions around to add more whimsy.
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers for the replies.

@Sipher3325 still debating between completely painted approach or going for some more sculpted details.

@Dan! do you mean something like this?: (quick rough, linework needs to be adjusted slightly)

iOpDt.jpg
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Not saying you should go this way, but more exaggerated shapes would fit the model.
    Also feels as if the wheels are a tad too small.

wagon_concepts.jpg
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    @ScribbleHead Thanks for posting this example, its making me think about the overall shape a bit (especially the hand rails).

It's funny you should mention the wheels, I originally made them quite a bit bigger but shrunk them down as I thought perhaps I had over done it.
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really cool good work, I'm hoping to see some nice warm emissives glowing from the window and the lantern at the back (which is a really nice touch, btw)
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Vysuki wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies.

@Sipher3325 still debating between completely painted approach or going for some more sculpted details.

@Dan! do you mean something like this?: (quick rough, linework needs to be adjusted slightly)

iOpDt.jpg

yep:)
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good! My only crit/concern is this: What makes this a potion caravan as opposed to just a caravan?

Do you plan to have a sign on it? Or maybe some kind of giant, novelty potion jar/beaker/flask on the roof of the vehicle? Or maybe some fresh potions strung to the outside for cooling/aging? Maybe a couple of essential herbs could grow from a planter on the vehicle or something?

There's a lot that could be done to further sell that it's a caravan selling potions...
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Been away the weekend so haven't had anytime to continue, fresh cup of tea and cracking on with it:

@DashXero: I wasn't sure whether to take this into the cartoon look or the more realistic fantasy look which is why I hadn't opted for anything too over the top yet, initial idea was to have the wooden plaque on the side to indicate potions and maybe a flask painted on the diffuse.

Initial idea was that this was a shack the trader wheeled to mage tournament events where he'd sell potions at the revive points.
    He used to deal in illegal potions which is why he wanted an inconspicuous shack but after a freak accident (where he dropped a box of potions which caused some horrid side effects in him) he swore to only trade in legal potions.
    I imagined the scene where this is parked up, a small camp fire, the trader with his giant chest of potions open ready to trade.

Playing with the idea of making the chest a living one caused in the accident. The only good thing to come of it as it doesn't like opening for anyone but him.

Though I'm liking the idea of having a sign hanging out from the top of the door way with a potion jar there, could be novelty or maybe a real one with a glowing potion inside. That might help break the symmetry up too
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Work/Family/festivities overload and free time to continue I decided to approach the idea of adding a jar with a glowing element inside.

I also am trying to texture this in a semi realistic way with the stretched proportions. Akin to some of the old fantasy style paintings you'd see where they paint realism but everything has that warped feel to it.

As a result I've prepped the mesh and sculpted in the rope and am attempting realistic wood but I'm not quite sure if it's working right so any opinions on if it looks ok or if anyone knows a better approach to doing it would be great!

9QIUT.jpg
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Got some time to continue this. Changed the shape of the wheels and the windows and sculpted in the detail. The base colours have been added just to get a feel for it as I was sculpting.

Any crits welcomed, meanwhile I'll work on the chest and sleep sack which I'll add afterwards.

Rrl7i1m.jpg
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Found some more time, worked on this a little more, the chest if still being worked on but took a break and worked on the textures for the wagon. Added some lights to get a feel for how it'll look in the scene. (Dusk lit scene on the right was the plan)

Still need to add a mud/dirt/moss pass, fix a couple of normal map issues and paint up the sign.

Thinking of adding some worn paint to the roof too.

Currently around 4.1k polys

temmp_by_vysuki-d5vp797.jpg
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Looks great! The illuminated flask on the sign is a nice touch.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Such a lovely little caravan! The bottle in the sign is awesome! Such a nice idea!
  • Vysuki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vysuki polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers above^

Haven't had much free time, new baby in the household so sleepless nights an all :D

Anywho, I've reworked a couple of times on the chest, not happy with it, going to redesign it again so to take a break from that I've added a dirt pass to the roof and attempted to add moss.

I've looked at references and even that flat moss on comes in a variety of colours and seems to vary from being in cracks to just on the surface. I tried to add more at the ends of the tiles since I think thats where water tension would keep the moisture. I didn't add it too much inbetween the tiles due to the lack of sunlight.

But looking at it's making me question it. Does it look right anyone?

mossquestion_by_vysuki-d5waak8.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think the moss looks great! It's only a bit funny that it's just on the bottom 2 rows - perhaps have some moss on a shingle or two of the third row? Also, did you bake out some ao for this? I think that would really help this to pop :D I really love this cart ^_^