Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Self-Referenced Head Model

Hello all,

As part of degree coursework I have created a head model that is based off of my own real life head. This is the first model of this kind - i.e. not hard surface - that I've made and would appreciate some feedback.

It also showcases the first model I have made that has included zBrush in its pipeline as well as polypaint texturing methods using zAppLink and reference images.

Feedback given in this thread may also be used in a conclusive report that benefits the practical work here, please state if you'd rather not have your replies included in the report in your posts.

Thank you for any of your feedback!

P.S. - I had a very bad chest infection when the reference images were taken, ignore them :poly142:

Reference Images

IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

Pre-Project zBrush Work
(This was done just to try and get a feel for zBrush before having to apply the program to my important project)

Progress1.png

Progress2.png

Progress3.png

Replies

• Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Renders in 3DS Max

3DSMax_Render_Front_zpsa64b69a2.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Front451_zps1f7b2efd.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Front452_zps0be9975a.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Side1_zps5e86b7cd.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Side2_zps576ad6c3.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Back452_zpsd05608d7.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Back451_zpsfcf57dac.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Back_zps339c1e24.jpg

3DS Max Wireframes

3DSMax_Front_Wireframe_zpsf7f20b7b.jpg

3DSMax_Front451_Wireframe_zpse462156b.jpg

3DSMax_Front452_Wireframe_zpsaca3772e.jpg

3DSMax_Side1_Wireframe_zpsc1bbec17.jpg

3DSMax_Side2_Wireframe_zps70bead06.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Back451_zpsfcf57dac.jpg

3DSMax_Render_Back452_zpsd05608d7.jpg

3DSMax_Back_Wireframe_zps87114090.jpg

• Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zBrush Screengrabs

zBrush_Front_zps994af107.jpg

zBrush_Front451_zpscd6cf8ab.jpg

zBrush_Front452_zpsc6baa44b.jpg

zBrush_Side1_zps020343b4.jpg

zBrush_Side2_zps37394c86.jpg

zBrush_Back451_zpsdf39ac17.jpg

zBrush_Back452_zpsc936f51f.jpg

zBrush_Back_zpse3bc96b7.jpg

• neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    For a first go at the human head, while the proportions are off, the topology isn't half bad. Rather than making a skull to just throw away, use it under the mesh in Zbrush to help with getting proportions right. In fact, I would first concentrate on getting a good skull model made.

Anterior%20Skull%20copy.jpg

Notice the differences between your version and an actual skull. FIND REFERENCE. Not just one view either. I cannot stress this enough. If you have the money, get a second monitor so that your reference can always be visible. Or print it out and tack it to the wall above your computer. Modeling or drawing without reference is asking for mistakes, at least until you've had several thousand hours of practice.

As for specific critiques on your model:
    1) Cheekbones are too low
    2) Eyes are too far out
    3) No eyelids. Look at the area around your eyes. It is quite fleshy and mounds out around the eyes.
    4) The outer edges of the nostrils are too thin. Thicken those up.
    5) Mouth is pointed

Try taking your model and looking at it from the top. I think you'll find that the upper face is rather flat and that the mouth comes to a point sticking out under the nose. Once you've gotten the major landmarks a face from the orthographic views, you should start rotating it around and looking at it from different angles to see if it stands up from all angles.

Sorry if this all sounds rather harsh. I was right there with you not too long ago, and I'm still learning. These are all things that have helped me greatly. Remember, tough criticism is a checklist for becoming better. A pat on the back doesn't push you forward near as much as you can push yourself! Good luck, and I hope to see more from you in the future!
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first head model and my most recent one. I did the first one in May, and the most recent one I did the last week in November. You can do it! Just keep pushing yourself!

yUdFj.jpg

x85l6.png
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please do not feel like you are sounding too harsh on me, because unless you're telling me "It's rubbish." then moving on, everything you tell me is incredibly valuable. Thank you very much for the responses and the critique it will all be noted and used for future projects. I would very much dislike anyone to ever not give me valuable critique for fear of 'hurting my feelings' - as an artist, not being able to improve hurts my feelings! :(:p

zBrush is a lot of fun and I may have another go at making a skull. You mentioned using reference images for the skull sculpt and I did in fact use them, I may have found oddly propportioned references or I may have failed to follow them very well. I will post them here and let you be the judge.

Thank you for the words of motivation neverwander, they are more helpful than you might assume! :) Both head models are very nice indeed in my opinion. Great job!

Here are the reference images I used for the skull sculpt:

http://pinterest.com/jerorly/human-skull/

Note the distinct lack of bottom jaw on my model. I had no idea how I should of gone about extending into a bottom jaw. I really need more practice with how zBrush works.

Thank you both again!
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I see what threw you off for the skull. Skull 5 is a drawing, and it looks like they made a few mistakes on it. I would recommend trying to find multiple views of the same skull. That way you get consistency across all views
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    besides working on your anatomy, you should consider being more efficient with image presentation.

2qlc07n.jpg