Home General Discussion

PS3 Games for girls.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Hey Christmas is fast approaching, and like always i'm still shopping last minute.

The 'Aeryn Sun' to my 'John Chrichton' want a video game, just wondering what your female friends / Daughters / Partners like to play?

She only has a PS3, and a hand full of games, Skyrim and Little Big Planet.
I bought her Bioshock but its been collecting dust. I was thinking Viva Pinata would be awesome, but sadly Xbox exclusive.

Replies

• HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    My gf actually likes the rachet and clank style games. Cartoony with fun and humor in the story. And if she likes skyrim then maybe dark souls? or is that going overboard :p or the witcher 2. ac3 just to name a few in that "style".
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    If I had a PS3, I'd be all about Journey. The Ratchet and Clank series looks good too. Rather than thinking 'what games do women like?' maybe you'd be better off describing what games she likes already so people can make recommendations based on that? Us womenfolk aren't that different when it comes to our taste in games, you know.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Maybe Journey?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Definitely Journey. Possiby 3D Dot Game Heroes, Ratchet&Clank? Katamari? Perhaps some interesting indie downloadables?

I'm assuming from the wording of your post she doesn't really like shooters and racers?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    The Journey collectors edition, it comes with flower which is awesome.

Ico too.

Chicks dig puzzle games.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My gf and I had a great time playing Trine 1 & 2
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Good multiplayer games on the PS3:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xRSWQUIfxo"]Tokyo Jungle Review - IGN Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1gpyeh6kOc"]IGN Reviews - Rayman Origins Video Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThpdJ_73uxo"]Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed - Review - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my girlfriend is really into tomb raider style games, and is currently playing through the uncharted series.
  • cgartland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgartland polycounter lvl 4
    I was a pretty big fan of Alice: Madness returns, action platformer with crazy art style.

Definitely not for the younger crowd though
  • rogueNoodle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend Heavy Rain, even though it's a little older now. My girlfriend and I both really enjoyed that one, and she's not a huge gamer at all. I think the "interactive movie" feel of it is what attracted her to it. She also liked the Lego games, but usually only if we were playing them together - Lego Indiana Jones 2 in particular...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I think you're better off trying to figure out what kind of games _she_ likes as checking what peoples relatives or respectives of the female gender enjoys doesn't give much.

If she has played and enjoyed skyrim I'd suggest fallout 3 and new vegas though.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    little big planet karting is fun
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My gf loves Sonic Adventure 2 HD. You should check it out.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Argh! typed a huge reply for polycount to turn around and say no comment for you!

Thanks for the suggestion guys, some killer ones i wouldn't have thought of.
    She doesn't have that many games, so its hard to gather what type and style she likes.
    But i can gather she doesn't like games that require to much concentration and skill to play, she loved Skyrim for the fact she could just wander around and do as she pleased.

Little Big Planet Karting i might have to investigate, cause she loved little big planet 2, and i'm sure she would like to play a game with me from time to time.

Baj, She would love Tokyo Jungle fo sho, she loves animals and has a Pomeranian her self, as the trailer said you can play as one, not sure if she would like the animal violence though :(

Just looked up Journey, defiantly would be up her alley thanks heaps guys!

<3
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    all of the LEGO games
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    My wife loved Heavy Rain, she still talks about it today. For some reason, it really left a mark. She also really liked LA Noire.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm going to assume she doesn't play alot of games, and wants to get into them at a relatively easy progression curve?

Games which might fit (pun intended):

The Lego Series (LOTR is the strongest one so far).
    Ratchet and Clank
    Journey
    Katamari Forever
    Trine series
    ICO and SOTC (although their controls may be lacking since they're kinda clunky).
    Rayman Origins
    Tomb Raider Guardian of the Light
    Heavy Rain (although the story could turn her off).
    Little Big Planet series
    Skyrim (on the easier settings, it can literally be played with one hand).
    Sonic Generations
    Left 4 Dead (many girls actually like the coop play for support).
    Dragons Crown (actually fun, but the sexualized artstyle may put her off).
    Borderlands series
    Time Crisis 4
    Shank
    Portal 2
    Catherine (it's not a girly game at all by the way if she can get over the animu style).
    Castle Crashers
    LA Noire

These are the easier games to get into without insane difficulty spikes (like say Dead Island or accuracy required out of COD games), also girls tend to prefer to play coop games in which you can actively help them get better before they solo something (this is assuming she doesn't play alot of games).

You can upgrade her to AC3, Demon Souls, etc pretty quickly if she lam-blasts through games like Portal 2 without your help.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I really don't agree with that list, that's just a list of games that you (as a man) really liked and found the learning curve easy, that doesn't necessary makes them good games for women. You're implying that women only like easy games, when women can endure hard challenges as easily as men do. They just don't ENJOY the same genres man do.

Here's an example, Do you know of a single women that likes chess? I'm not saying they can't be as good at it as men, because they obviously can be, they just... don't like it.
    Maybe you know one or two, just like you probably only know a women or two that enjoys the same video games we do, but they're exceptions.

Typically, women don't enjoy the restrains of being stuck in a virtual space as much as men do. That's it, difficulty as nothing to do with it. The point here is feeling JOY when playing games.

At least the girls I know enjoy puzzle bazed games, (the so called casual games) and/or games with a interesting story that doesn't involve moving around in a 3D virtual world too much. (That's why I said Heavy Rain)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You're reading too much into something that I never said, would have been better if I said "this individual of no sex or gender here most likely doesn't play alot of games, so here are some recommendations"?

Seriously dude, the only reason I mention 'girl' is because she's a girl, and OP even posted the type of games she plays (she doesn't play alot of games in the first place, she played Skyrim casually, she liked games which are visually striking, etc) in post 15.

These are clear indications that this 'person' isn't an experienced gamer that will play everything and anything, it doesn't matter if man or woman, you're going to introduce them to easy games so they can learn the rulesets on those genre of games, and most likely play games like L4D to which allows people to help each other, as that eases the learning curved to someone who doesn't play alot of games before throwing them in solo-hard games like Dark Souls which make you hate gaming.

At that point it's up to them to start learning on their own and what genre of games they might have a higher affinity towards.

Also, you're using a double-logic fallacy here, you say you don't agree with my list, and yet are putting in place your own rules and restrictions on what someone can like and calling mine void in return. That's like saying Fat people are geniuses, but Skinny people are superficial without stopping to think that each person is different, and just maybe it's the opposite way round in some cases.

Stereotyping is not fun, and that's exactly what I tried avoiding to do in my previous post, hence why I mentioned either games that could be construed as easy to play, simple to learn-hard to master, or coop based for someone who doesn't dedicate 5 bookmarks to gaming sites.

I have seen more 'people' (and yes, 'girls' are included in this) enjoy L4D or Borderlands with their partners then people who enjoyed a game like Journey or Heavy Rain which are one-offs and not even that open.

Ugh, sorry for the derail Fwap. In the mean-time, another game she could try is the Walking Dead from TT? Although the story is kinda tight and linear in some places, and certain implications of certain actions can be abit too much to stomach for some people.
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    My fiance started getting more into gaming with Fallout 3. Its pretty cheap with all the DLC so that would be a good buy.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    she could literally like anything, I dont envy you haha. I thought my lady would be into all the games you would think girls would love but nope. Shes all about the bioshock, dead space and batmans. She loved tomb raider, journey and peggle though aswell.

Theres great fun to be had with borderlands 2 split screen, it really does have a girlfriend mode haha!!!
  • frontop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Sonic Adventure 2 HD.

Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    My girlfriend only plays Barbie games and Cooking Mama.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    My wife doesn't play games :(
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    My boyfriend just plays Mario Kart 64 and Techmo Football.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    You just can't stereotype based on gender. The last games my other half played that I know of were Lollipop Chainsaw, Halo Anniversary and Borderlands 2.

She admittedly does also play Cooking Mama and the Sims, but still.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Fomori wrote: »
    My wife doesn't play games :(
    Same here, and sometimes I wish she did, so she'd understand why I enjoy them. On the flip side, I don't have to fight for use of my systems ;)

I DO have 2 teenage daughters mentioned, and like Ambershee said, gender stereotyping for games is stupid. My oldest gets annoyed, when she plays online, and guys don't believe she's a female. She likes Left 4 Dead, Bioshock, and Assassins Creed. Both of my daughters will play anything from Pokemon, to Gears of War. There are no specific games that make their estrogen excited. It just depends on what your girlfriend likes. Maybe that's what you need to understand most, before choosing games for her.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • indiePub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I play a mix of things, but I really loved Plants vs Zombies, as well as Racthet and Clank, and games like Ico/Shadow of the Colossus. Really want to get Flower and Journey, they look fantastic.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    My girlfriend only plays Barbie games and Cooking Mama.

i like cooking mama. ergo, I'm a lady!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like cooking mama. ergo, I'm a lady!

I'm sorry you had to find out this way
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry guys didn't mean to start a stereo type thing. I just knew by throwing the world girl in there people would know what i mean, cute games, easy to grasp ect.

I totally forgot she plays the sims, but i won't be buying her any expansions, i get jealous enough when she makes woo woo with a sim thats not me. and fuck know who's child that is.

I gave her my DS with all my games on it from Pokemans to Zelda I don't think she touched it once. I think if something doesnt grab her in the first 5 minutes its game over - puntastic - I got her to play Fifa 13 with me, but all she did was score own goals and get yellow carded. so she is banned.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Once she gets more adjusted to gaming, her tastes will probably expand. It took a while to get my daughters to venture into other games, now they play a large variety (as I mentioned earlier).

Another game my daughters really got hooked into, were the guitar hero/rock band games.
  • Rob Macko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    My girlfriend loves PixelJunk Eden, and Marvel Pinball. Those are especially cool because we can both play together. She's also a general fan of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, I'll have to look into that Sonic Adventure 2 HD that I saw mentioned several times.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She mostly sticks to the Wii, she really likes playing the lego games. But on the PS3 she sticks to the Uncharted series and LA Noire, both of these are a bit out of character for her but I think she's played them more than I have. She is really into just about anything Mario related. She is more of a mobile gamer, 3Ds and iOS games so that rules out the PS3 most of the time for her.

My daughter is a lego freak, she loves Lego Indiana Jones (it has more female characters to choose from).
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Seriously though my girlfriend doesn't play many games but really got into The Sims 3 recently. Good shiz.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You said she has Skyrim, is it collecting dust or did she enjoy it? She might like Fallout 3, with all the DLC there are butt loads of gameplay... maybe too much.

As far as my girlfriend, she enjoyed Neverwinter Nights but disliked all the combat. It would be nice to see more games that give more social paths that let you avoid combat - or even a game like LA Noire without all the shootouts & chases shoehorned in
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    she's playing it at the moment, just stealing carrots and shit. what ever faints her goat. but yeah loves Skyrim, funny you mentioned fallout Justin, i got her to give it a bearl today, understandingly she wan't a fan she said it was too similar to Skyrim for it to stand out of the crowd.