Home General Discussion

Using 2 Monitors of Different Resolutions?

Hello guys now on a good and deserved vacation and I am going to spend some of that time going back to the old pencil and paper :)
A good offer (i think) came to me this day. A 21.5" FULL HD LCD Acer Monitor at the price of 1,500 MX (115 USD). A strong force is telling me to buy that thing immediatly but first I wanted to kindly ask for your opinion.
I have a 15" 1366*768 notebook, powerful enough to work smoothly with software like Maya, Photoshop CS6. The main concern I have is the eye strain or eye problems that using 2 Monitors of different resolutions could carry, is there a way of working that could prevent this? I would use the 21.5 as my main monitor, modeling would be orgasmic compared to my actual display :poly124:. Could Use it for some animation while the another as a huge graph editor. Some illustration and painting. Is there really a way to callibrate both? Any similar experiences you would like to share. Well thanks in advance. And cheers.

Replies

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Heya,

I have two different monitor sizes at diff aspect ratios too, 16:9 and 16:10, and it's annoying at first but you get used to it. I did anyway. The extra room is handy for other windows etc, but you won't be able to drag from the top of the largest monitor across to the smaller one for example as there's some dead zone to make up the difference (ie the top of the smallest is at about 85% of the biggest on mine).

Can't comment on eye strain or other issues like that.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    the resolution difference ain't as annoying as any color differences or differences in panel quality. Otherwise no problems with such a setup.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    I actually use 2 different monitors. A 22 and a 24 inch (yeah yeah not that much of a difference but still). I actually have no issues with my gpu dragging stuff over from one to the other. It automatically resizes everything. I do have to say that getting my new monitor (only like 2 weeks now) made a lot of things easier. I model, draw etc on my 24 inch (ips screen) and have reference images etc. on my other screen. Also in stuff like 3ds max i have the material editor for example on my other screen and the render settings etc. Same with PS and other software. This leaves my big screen all availeble pure for the art and the sencond screen for the controls. No problem with eye strain here. It did take some getting used to and my new screen is so much brighter (old tn vs. new led ips) but you'll get used to it and you never look at more then one screen at a time anyway.
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :O that was pretty quick jejeje :P 50% plus of getting that monitor now :). The real issue comes when managing the colors, being one LED and the other LCD. Applying some mathematics to the case... any special setup that you recommend? like any distances or inclinations that would translate in less neck pain etc. I was thinking of putting my notebook at my left with some Y rotation towards me at a near distance, the 21.5 at my very front but further away. IDK jeje
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    That's how i have it set up basicly as well. I don't even use a desk anymore but a converted dinning table. System case on the far right. main work screen in front of me and the off screen to my left next to my main at a 30degrees angle. maybe even 45. they are about 10cm apart at the borders so my eyes don't get drawn to much to one or the other when i'm trying to focus on something.

Just keep in mind the space you need for keyboard and mouse and maybe tablet with how you place your setup. Especially if you are going to use the notebook. Or maybe look for one of those notebook stands that elevate them a bit. Might also put the screen on a better hight compared to your new one. And maybe create some more space for your "tools".
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well i´d recoommend you place them as closely together as possible, so you don´t always have to rotate your head to switch the monitor.
    to counter the colorcalibration problem i simply do all the color based stuff only on my main monitor.
    this kinda sucks if you do 2D work and want to open a reference on the other screen, but its still better then having only one small screen.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, I even place my secondary monitor slightly behind my other one, so the border/frame is overlapping, making the distance between the screen smaller ;)
    And my screens are two different sizes, so one of them is smaller in height, but it works okay. The problem is when I want to span my program over two screens, I'm forced to not have it maximized in the bottom of my larger screen.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Kwramm wrote: »
    the resolution difference ain't as annoying as any color differences or differences in panel quality. Otherwise no problems with such a setup.

This! I've got a 24" 16:9 and a 19" 4:3, the res difference is fine but the colour change is huge.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    I'd argue having as many different as possible screens colour wise is good. If I can make it look good on both my ancient but pretty accurate 17in TFT and my newer but NTSC safe black crushing 22in TV, good chance it'll look good anywhere.

Not to say I've managed that yet but you get my point :p

Max has lots of multimonitoring bugs, such as improperly handling any monitors left of the primary monitor. (colour picker goes nuts, some camera controls don't work) so using max might cause you problems.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    This! I've got a 24" 16:9 and a 19" 4:3, the res difference is fine but the colour change is huge.

yeah, my main is a dell ips and secondary is a crappy asus tn panel :) Huge difference.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I used to do this. When I used CRT monitors, I also simultaneously output to a 480i CRT TV for checking the color cyan in my artwork.
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using a TV as a working monitor? that's completely new to me. IDK why but i find reading so exhausting in TV displays.
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Max has lots of multimonitoring bugs, such as improperly handling any monitors left of the primary monitor. (colour picker goes nuts, some camera controls don't work) so using max might cause you problems.
    The software in which I do all the 3d stuff is Maya 2013 and 2012. I do my animating and modeling work with them. Since I changed to 2013 and of Notebook I have experienced some rare bugs with Maya's interface and some tools, But I don't know if it is because of the version (stupid enough to move to 2013:\) or if my video card is causing all the problems: Ati Radeon I hope Maya doesn't have this kind of issues with 2 monitors.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    KrazyTaco wrote: »
    Using a TV as a working monitor? that's completely new to me. IDK why but i find reading so exhausting in TV displays.

The software in which I do all the 3d stuff is Maya 2013 and 2012. I do my animating and modeling work with them. Since I changed to 2013 and of Notebook I have experienced some rare bugs with Maya's interface and some tools, But I don't know if it is because of the version (stupid enough to move to 2013:\) or if my video card is causing all the problems: Ati Radeon I hope Maya doesn't have this kind of issues with 2 monitors.
    Modern TVs use identical panels to desktop monitors, just in a different box with different IO. Laptops too.

The Max bugs are caused by the developers assuming a mouse location can never be negative and using unsigned math. Sloppy.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Resolution isn't a huge deal. Pixel pitch is, though. For example my main monitor is a 27 inch 1920x1200, and my secondary is a 17 inch 1280x1024. Which is a huge difference in resolution, but the pixels are roughly the same size (84 and 96 ppi) and thus it's pretty okay.

In fact I like that the secondary one is smaller, so I can still throw my mouse up into the corners of my main screen without having to be pixel perfect. I hate that in most dualscreen setups the two desktops are gapless, so I've set my small screen up so it has a ~4cm border on top and bottom, so I can still use the 'hot corners' so to speak.

However if my secondary monitor were to be a 17 inch full-HD screen, the pixel size would be drastically different, and the scale change would be pretty damn annoying, I think.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I've used two monitors of two different resolutions and screen types for awhile, even back when I used a 32" 1920x1080 with my 1366x768 laptop. Now I use a 32"(1920x1200) and 22"(1680x1050). I can't comment on eye strain, just because my second monitor is nothing more than a place for me to move windows to, like UDK's Material Editor or my music player. The resolution isn't too big of a problem either, but my tablet sensitivity went through the roof when the 6x8 space was mapped to 3600x1200. But, since I only work from my main 32" monitor, I just have my tablet mapped to that one.