Home General Discussion

Quick hypothetical... contract vs permanent position

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
say you've been contracted to work on-site somewhere for x-months. you're paid a daily rate, and you get your hours signed off and paid on a weekly basis.

but then you're offered a full time position in another studio, and they want you to start tomorrow, even though you've told them that you're under contract at another place. they basically tell you "start tomorrow or we'll find someone else".

what would you do? do you pass up a full time gig in order to maintain your integrity? could you approach your current client and explain the situation to them? could you even ask them along the lines of "i've been offered a permanent job, is there any possibility that this contract could become full time so i can stay here?", or would you just say "hey, sorry i've got something better, bye!"

just curious to see where people sit.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Has anyone ever been told "start tomorrow or we'll find someone else"? Starting a new job is a big life change and I'd expect at minimum 2 weeks to prepare.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I would stay with the former employer.... if they have that attitude already, you can expect the worse and that carrying into the work environment. Meaning.... Get all this stuff done in 2 days or we find someone else ;)

How people treat you in the interview, and the interest they show is a big part of what the studio or workplace offers. If they don't treat you with some respect and understanding, then you are off better somewhere else.

I will say that Contract is good as long as you keep making your resume grow and you network... i prefer full time.. but i have done both at some point.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    While I don't know how the term contract or workers rights are defined in England, I would think of it this way. As other people mentioned, any job should expect at least a 2 week notice to be given to your previous employer. Typically, if a job were to expect this of me I would be wary of what other things they might expect on unreasonable timeframes.

Also, as far as integrity goes, you probably don't want a reputation of dropping jobs as soon as something better is offered. It's one thing to be given an opportunity and giving a reasonable notice. It's another to quit on the drop of a hat.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    This "start tomorrow or we'll find someone else" raises a huge red flag to me. A full-time position is a huge thing and needs to be properly planned. If they're in such a hurry, it means bad planning on their side. They should've taken care of this a long time ago! I find this kind of pressure disrespectful and if you let them treat you like that, more will come, that's for sure.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    fonfa wrote: »
    This "start tomorrow or we'll find someone else" raises a huge red flag to me.

If it's Naughty Dog or Valve calling (maybe 343 too if they still keep their kickass lineup of artists when you get there :)).....

And they offer relocation assistance

Plus a signing bonus...

If it's just a meh studio, I'll need more convincing than a cheap pressure tactic.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    ^none of those studios would ever do that bullshit.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you approach your current client and explain the situation to them?

yes
    could you even ask them along the lines of "i've been offered a permanent job, is there any possibility that this contract could become full time so i can stay here?"
    You certainly could, if given the option between having you on permanently or losing you, they might consider it. Depends on your value/relationship to/with the company.
    or would you just say "hey, sorry i've got something better, bye!"
    No, I would explain the situation and politely request to end the contract prematurely. I wouldn't run off in the night, that's some serious bridge-burning stuff there.

Most decent studios/people will understand the appeal of full time employment, and if its not something they can match they will likely be willing to work something out. So, just talk to them. You might be surprised how reasonable people can be.

Just be careful how you approach it. Don't go into it demanding things. Just explain the situation. You want to avoid pissing off your current employer, having them demand you finish the current contract and then not giving you any further work, while you lose out on the other gig. That's worst case, but really don't be an ass about it and it should be fine.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    I'd take the full time job, unless you know you have a good shot at landing full time at the current contract job.

Contract gigs in California usually mean, "at will", so you can drop the job on a moments notice no sweat. Or your employer can drop you. It's a little different once your full time, so the utmost goal in my opinion would be getting to full time somewhere.

A jump from contract to full time often means more $$ and benefits too. Do want? I sure did!

hope this helps. It may not mean shit since this is all my California knowledge, haha.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    depends..fulltime gigs seem nice and cozy..till you start working crunch bullshit and that salary works out to be less than your contract because they compensate overtime with snacks and trips to the frito bin...

I was in this situation recently ....I had a boatload of contract stuff...was offered a full-time position..I went for the fulltime gig....I talked to the people I was contracting with..and we worked everything out..I ended up giving them free stuff because I felt bad about having to ditch for full-time position..I dont regret that..they got some free stuff and I got out of my obligation to them..it all ended up biting me in the ass..the project I was working on was pretty much washed out before I got there..and then I got floated to a project that didn't need me..and then got tasked to do non-game bullshit they had me crunching on ( plus I drug my family half way across the country for it)..and then they laid me off with zero severance..with a 12 month lease to pay out ...the only redeeming thing was I got to work with some pretty swell folks...but anyway... tread lightly..
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    It depends, I wouldn't be able to make a decision based on those few factors.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been told "start tomorrow or we'll find someone else"? Starting a new job is a big life change and I'd expect at minimum 2 weeks to prepare.

It was already stated, but I want to strengthen the point that no studio worth your time would do that to you. If I would ever be told that I would laugh at them and hang up the phone.

It would be very disrespectful to be "asked" that.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    If it's Naughty Dog or Valve calling (maybe 343 too if they still keep their kickass lineup of artists when you get there :)).....

And they offer relocation assistance

Plus a signing bonus...

If it's just a meh studio, I'll need more convincing than a cheap pressure tactic.

^none of those studios would ever do that bullshit.

This.

You deserve more than that.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Haiasi wrote: »
    It was already stated, but I want to strengthen the point that no studio worth your time would do that to you. If I would ever be told that I would laugh at them and hang up the phone.

It would be very disrespectful to be "asked" that.

^ I'd look up the persons name, the companies name, to see if their has been any previous statements of abuse from previous workers anywhere. Or just ask on PolyCount about said person/studio ect.

Best of luck I can see how this is a tough decision for anyone in this current time, abuse FT, no abuse no FT.. decisions decisions.

But echo what Haiasi says as well as everyone else about not letting these tards treat you like that, they need you that's why they came to you. They will find some poor soul though who doesn't have self respect, then it is their problem.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I have no idea how your contract is written (and I'm not a lawyer), but couldn't you get in trouble for not following your contract's termination clause(s)?

Usually, I'd say dance with the girl what brought you. Unless the other girl asking is super hot and has promised to pay for dinner and put out. "Start tomorrow or we'll find someone else" doesn't sound like a promise to pay for dinner or put out.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    DashXero wrote: »
    "Start tomorrow or we'll find someone else" doesn't sound like a promise to pay for dinner or put out.

That's why when you get to their place, you threaten to beat them unless they give you what you want. :thumbup: