Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Baby's First Character

So, I'm a student AIP, and for my final, I'm making my first character. I have to texture it, rig it, and even animate it. So ANY feedback you guys have is welcome and needed! Thank you kindly for your time. (Sorry for the weird way you have to view the images, I'm new and I'm kinda confused on everything. x.x I looked around the FAQ, but I think I may of just missed the picture part. But anyway, this is the base mesh, may make a few changes, but then I'll begin working one clothing.

Tl;dr: Please critique my first character?

tumblr_meledynl4L1rr1lhy.png

tumblr_melee7dPxn1rr1lhy.png

tumblr_melee4HNMZ1rr1lhy.png

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    how long do you have to work on this? I wouldn't work on clothing yet, the anatomy and proportion is suffering quite a bit. Step down in subdivision and work the proportions and main volumes out. Most of all pay attention to your references.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    The head seems too big. Also the shape of the head is weird. Look at a human skull. Because it looks like the reference you might be using has hair? which is fine. But it seems to be throwing you off.

The neck is also too thick from the side view.

I would work on studying anatomy and the muscles underlying the skin. It's important to know which muscles overlap and under lap each other.

+1 for what Dan said. With organic models it's important to GRADUALLY build up form. And then build up form on top of that form. You want the form to be defined as well. You don't want it to look like a blob.

Hope this helps! Keep on keeping on. Your first character already looks better than mine did. ;)
  • GSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, thanks guys! I'll definitely be applying those changes when I work on it today. And yeah, I definitely think the hair on my reference was throwing me off a bit, gonna definitely be looking at some myology and skeletal systems so i can really nail down those proportions. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post! (: