Home General Discussion

Where should I study video graphics? Info about universities

Hello there, How are you guys!?

I am so much interested in VFX ( Visual Effects ) and other stuff related to video graphics, such as compositing, matting, and motion graphics.

Am here because I want to ask some questions about studying VFX as a Bachelor's Degree in university.

Questions:
1- If I want to study VFX as a Major ( Bachelor's Degree ), what should I search for regarding the Bachelor's name? ( I mean what is the name of the university programme that I should apply to? ) for example: ( Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - Major: Programming ) or ( Bachelor of Business in Business Administration )

I know that it is Bachelor of Arts, but which section exactly ( fine arts, interior design, architectural design, etc. )

Keep in mind that I do not want to study printed-graphics; I am interested in VIDEO GRAPHICS.

2- Any well-recognized university or college in Europe which specializes in VFX? (maybe in The Netherlands or Denmark)

3- Should I be skilled in video graphics software like After Effects for example before applying to a university? Do universities teach you how to use the software from A to Z if you are not familiar with it?

That's all what I want to ask! ... Any answer will be very much appreciated.

Please reply as soon as you can :)

Thank you!

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

If only there was some kind of thread that covers education for games and related fields... that would be useful. So useful that I'd sticky it!

But that day'll never come.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Welcome to polycount..! :poly136:
    Yeah, there is a dedicated sticky for these threads:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108342
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    1) I don't think there's a VFX specific programme. VFX depend a lot on the type of stuff you do - realtime vs pre-rendered, your engine and the type of VFX. Some programmes have courses which are more useful in VFX than others. (e.g. 2D compositing, scripting or 3D engine (unreal) courses are probably useful) Check out the sticky thread for schools, then look at programmes, then come back and ask more question if you're not clear what the courses are about.

2) There's a couple of good schools in Scandinavia. Don't know about Netherlands. There's also film and 3d/games schools in Germany and Austria. Check the stickied thread for more info.

3) Not necessarily but some familiarity with computers and art software will help. Most places have intro courses. BUT if the stuff they teach at the intro course is really totally new to you then you will have to do a lot of extra learning by yourself! Just knowing the basics won't help you land a job.
    Many schools also require samples of art you created (i.e. a portfolio). These can be traditional though. If you didn't take any formal art classes before (like me) then this may restrict your choices of schools.

As others suggested, there's a stickied thread on top of this forum - read it! :)
    good luck!
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    In the netherlands there are some schools but the only "wothwile" ba you'd get at the KHU (utrecht). It's for this reason (and the fact that for game art i just don't feel they are good enough because schools in NL just spend so much time on junk that doesn't even relate or matter to the core of what you want to learn at all) that i'm learning at home using online schooling/training. I'd rather spend my 8hrs+ a day really working on modelling and texturing etc. then keeping track of my dutch grammer lessens and math (though mine is good enough already) and what other stuff they want to drop in there to waste more time.

So unless you like something that the HKU has to offer i'd say skip NL. But that's just my opinion. And IF there would be an actually good school in NL that i missed and that teaches game art, i'm always up for taking a look at it.
  • KLehrer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I read the sticky thread which has tons of thoughts by the members of this forum. But I'd suggest any decide for themselves, it's their own lives after all.

Personally I've studied in Germany and I enrolled just to get the degree but I was quite surprised with the quality of the education. They were pretty up to date with all the things that were happening in the industry.

Many universities offer free education too, and some other universities are much cheaper than in other countries. You can learn more about the German education system if you want to.

The universities will only give you some perspective on what can certain techniques be used. Also you'll meet many other people and create a good network for the future. It definitely helps to go to university, but you'll have to be the one to study and read. I do understand why many people in this field skip universities but in my opinion is worth it. But I wouldn't recommend going into debt to study, in that case you'll do more harm to yourself than good.

Do consider Germany. If you have any questions feel free to ask.