Home Technical Talk

qremesher impressions?

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
first impressions from me is that it seems very slow and unpredicatble. what do other people think. is it better than 3d coat ?

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I only use it for quick and dirty operations if I am messing around in zbrush, but I find 3D Coat's tools way more powerful. In 3D Coat you can do the Auto Topo operation, load the result into the topo tools, and edit and clean up whatever you need. The Auto Topo does the grunt work for you, and you make it look a little nicer.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think it's a good feature. I let it handle the bulk of the work, and then clean things up manually in the more involved areas.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Using the curve guides and using it for high poly sculpts, it's quite a useful little tool, at least in my opinion.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree that it's unpredictable. You can undo the operation and run it again and get different results.

That said... it's pretty dang useful to quickly generate some lower subDs from a Dynamesh. Even if it's thrown away.

I was doing some experiments with guides. I dont know if anyone is interested but here are some results. Hands and faces come out pretty messy. Those are probably best left to manual retopo anyways. Looks like he has a bush but its a mask :P

qmesher.jpg
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nyx702 - how many polys did you aim for and how far did you crank up the curve stiffness

looks good btw
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    I basically use it as a much more polished form of dynamesh, so not for the final topology, but overall much cleaner and much less destructive than dynamesh. I like it a lot, I usually just do the quick 'same' or 'half' poly settings and reproject as I subdivide.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    how many polys did you aim for and how far did you crank up the curve stiffness

looks good btw

Ah yes. That is important.

No automask. Stiffness set to 2. I believe I used a poly target of 2.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    thanks for that nyx702, will take a look tomorrow