Home General Discussion

Asians and art...

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
so we're talking in a hangout at the moment about why asians are so good at art. and i have a hypothesis i'd like to propose.

Due to the fact that the written language for most asian countries is artistic in basis (it's drawn more than written, as westerners would see it), and that in learning it great attention to detail and precision, and repetition. Asians in general would have a tendency toward creating fantastic works of art.

what i mean by this, is that because they grow up essentially drawing all day every day just to learn their language, and that in doing so they develop a great sense of gesture and linework. this might give them an edge when it comes to developing as an artist... because the "foundation" art skills that we as westerners learn as a secondary function from the age of about 8+, asians have learned as a primary skillset from pre-school.

so yeah... what are your thoughts?

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I don't know. Wouldn't it first make sense to actually prove the claim that "asians are so good at art"? ;)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    cptSwing wrote: »
    I don't know. Wouldn't it first make sense to actually prove the claim that "asians are so good at art"? ;)
    Agreed.

I think it's much more a matter of our western world view and the way that we seem to put the majority of the worlds population under some vast merged grouping.
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I don't agree after all most of the famous artists were European.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Snefer wrote: »
    large_what-is-this-i-dont-even-spiderman.jpg

^^This

Are you saying writing is a foundational art skill?
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Are you seriously saying all Asians who grew up writing Chinese are good at art? I doubt it. I assume you are talking about the good artists.
    In that case, I know exactly why the Asians who are good at art, are good at it. Because they worked for it.

Coincidentally that sentence works exactly the same for people of all races.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    asians just have good discipline. Nothing more to it. Most europeans/north americans will just go out drinking every night while they 'study' but if an asian wants to know how to do something theyll figure it out very fast.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you saying writing is a foundational art skill?

I don't think that he's saying that writing is a foundational art skill, but rather that drawing is, and as a result of many Asia-centric languages having visually strong alphabets and symbols usually learned through drawing they get a stronger and deeper connection to art.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    writing wont teach them color, perspective, anatomy, shadows etc
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    I have to agree with Yozora en frell. From all the ppl that i know and that i've learned to write hiragana and katakana i know they all just work really damn hard for it. Nothing is born. Just blood, sweat and tears.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    My perspective is such:

In the western-world, there is much more emphasis on the superficial. Instant gratification, 2-dimensionality and a faked truth. "It's fine if the majority thinks it's fine - and buys it"

In the east, the approach is a lot more solid. Ppl make sure what they do is honestly good, bottom-up, carrying meaning to their lives. Their actions reflect who they r, and failure or half-effort is not acceptable
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Every sentence you wrote that even comes close to being a sweeping subjective generalisation you can count as bullshit.

As Yoroza said, for the most part, good artists are good because they worked for it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    eh, shotgun, I mean this in a polite way, but I think you have a slightly warped perception of the West and the East. I would say that both of those statements are pretty erroneous, especially in the context of art.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    writing wont teach them color, perspective, anatomy, shadows etc
    Agreed, but the cultures would become vastly better at observing and drawing forms.

I should probably iterate that I don't think that Asians are better at making art, or that Asians for that matter have a inherent aptitude towards the production of art.. But neither does the Almighty Gir(Or at least not that Asian are inherently better at it).

What Gir said was that due to having a very visual alphabet, Asian children have to develop the skill of drawing at a very young age, and therefore Asian have so many great artist. He didn't for one second say that Asians are inherently better at making art, but rather that Asia has a culture and language that is beneficial for creating great artists.

I would agree if not for the fact that he seemed to make the fallacy of assuming that there are proportionally a greater amount of artists created in Asia in-comparison to any other continent as a result of having a visual alphabet.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that could turn out to be interesting...
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dangerous waters to tread, but... This is a good read if you want a bit more insight into this subject:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2012/11/12/164793058/struggle-for-smarts-how-eastern-and-western-cultures-tackle-learning

I have no doubt that anyone achieving any level of skill in art has done it through hard work and struggle.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun wrote: »
    My perspective is such:
    In the western-world, there is much more emphasis on the superficial. Instant gratification, 2-dimensionality and a faked truth. "It's fine if the majority thinks it's fine - and buys it"
    This is in far to many ways untrue and a bad reflection on Asian culture as well as Western culture. The attitude of faked truth seems to be much more adherent and natural in cultures with heavy corruption, which is sadly more "common" in some Asian countries in comparison to some North American countries(extreme example).

The problem with this thread is that it's far to broad and inconclusive. Asia is a huge continent in the same way that Africa is a huge continent. The tradition and culture of Cambodia varies greatly from the culture and tradition of Japan, and there seems to be far to many factors and components to what makes a country or a culture produce thriving artists! :)

I'm also starting to realize that discussing these types of broad assumptions and conceptions are a bit taboo. I am sorry if I've offended anyone and that has not been my intention.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Show me why I'm wrong

I think the east is a lot harder to generalize than the west. Let's say Japan vs US & A
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    How about you show us why you're right? You're making some pretty sweeping generalisations about the cultures of two halves of the world, I'd like to see you back it up.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wow, sorry i didn't realise this would brew up some controversy or that people would think of it as a sweeping generalisation that all asians are better at art than all westerners.

it was merely a hypothesis based on observation of computer games developed by the east vs the west.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's faulty logic to assume that a particular group of people are naturally good at something. Honestly, by the logic being offered in this thread, people that work in the game industry must be good at art because they work in the game industry. I'm sure some would say that there are some very untalented artists in the industry that got there by means other than artistic merit.

If you represented Asian people on a Venn diagram you would see a large circle labeled "Asians" and inside that would be a much smaller circle labeled "Great Artists". They are a subset of a group, not the group itself and a small subset at that, just like everywhere else. Asians, as a race, are no more inherently skilled at art than anyone else. This thread is entirely pointless.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Culture does influence art, and I would say Asian art tends to be more intricate and detailed, but I wouldn't say Asian games are the best looking, or they are the best concept artist, they just have a different look and style to them because of the different culture.
  • Jedi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedi polycounter lvl 12
    Terrible thread. Circular reasoning..... :/
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    There's absolutely shitty artists here as well.

The real kickass ones however manage to get job offers + US/EU visas. If they would hand out visas and jobs to just anyone you'd probably see more of the bad ones too ;)
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show me why I'm wrong
    I thought I just did.
    I think the east is a lot harder to generalize than the west. Let's say Japan vs US & A
    That's just what I'm objecting against, the fact that it's harder to generalize a certain group would be an indication that we shouldn't. I would agree that it's easier making statements against countries since most countries have different laws and also specific cultures, even though they sometimes have many very different cultures within one country.

The problem with continents is that they don't always share culture, even though it might look like they actually do, and thus falsifying the statement that Eastern culture would be more "true" in terms of solidity. But anyone travelling and living in different Asian countries know that it varies greatly, from culture to culture.

Thailand is a good example in the way that they do not automatically display this "trueness" as a nation, this is probably a result of having had a corrupt regime and authoritative figure, where the notion of what ever gets by could indeed substitute or be equal to the truth. The same could be said for many other countries in Asia, and the total opposite could be said about many other countries in Asia.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    new hypothesis:
    people in general will read into a statement and twist it into the worst, and often most racist/sexist meaning you could possibly derive from this.

they will then go on to attempt to make the original poster look like a racist.

that's not the intention here guys. i just wanted to know if other people thought that having a visual, artistic, drawn language, made any difference to the development of artistic ability later in life vs people who have a very unartistic, non-visual language.

nothing more, nothing less.

yeah for sure, asia has shitty artists, just like everywhere else in the world. and definitely their great artists worked hard at it, just like everywhere else in the world... but that's certainly not an answer to the actual question.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If anything, you perceive them as better at art because of your own faulty views.

There are four times as many Chinese as US-ians. There are twice as many Chinese as US-ians and Europeans. There are almost as many Chinese as there are people in North America, South America and Europe combined. You would never lump N-A, S-A and EU together as readily as you would say "the Chinese". And here in this thread you lump even more countries together.

This:
    screen-shot-2012-04-03-at-4-21-42-pm.png

This is why there are 'so many Asians good at art'. Simply because there are 'so many Asians'.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have to account for the population bias, too.

The East Asian countries (hell, China alone) account for a vastly larger percentage of the world population (and population density) than other countries. So, statistically - assuming an evenly spread percentage of the world population have a talent for art - a lot more of them would belong to those countries compared to others.

That probably also leads to more competition which raises the bar for recognition and what's classed as "good" artwork. Forcing everyone to work harder to reach that level.

edit: Gah, Snader ninja'd in before me. With graphs and everything!
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think the language and the way it is written makes them "better" artists, but if there is something I think it has to do with difference in culture, same with everything else really.

I was surprised when I moved to England 2 months ago at how polite English people are compared to Norwegians.(I don't like it, makes me uncomfortable) :P
    So culture changes a lot of things, Asians might be encouraged in other ways than Europeans.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    From meeting other artist here in Japan, they think Western artist are better; more detail, higher quality, more freedom to explore at work, pushing limits.

Grass is always greener...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think in all honesty some asian artists are insanely good but again this is subjective - its down to how much time the artist puts into their craft to improve, etc.

Interesting that you brought this up though as I was reading an interview in Edge a while back with a Japanese developer (can't remember which.) He was saying that Red Dead Redemption was one of the best games he ever played in terms of gameplay and visuals, which I thought was surprising as I never expect Japanese gamers to be blown away by western games... maybe I'm just being close minded :-S
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was surprised when I moved to England 2 months ago at how polite English people are compared to Norwegians.(I don't like it, makes me uncomfortable) :P
    Oh, that one's highly subjective as to where in England you end up :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Show me why I'm wrong

I can't speak for Japan but working jointly with China it was frustrating how everything had to be superficial, soap opera beautiful. So many cool monsters got axed because they were too ugly or scary. At one point Chinese designers wrote a zone that had Fairies & Unicorns as the mobs.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I can't speak for Japan but working jointly with China it was frustrating how everything had to be superficial, soap opera beautiful.

Chinese society is far behind the west when it comes to general acceptance of violence, nudity and anything that's got even the slightest "horror" theme. Zombies, undead, skeletons are big no no for many casual gamers, and also for the party censors.

I kid you not, people in my apartment have little mirrors on their apartment doors to keep "evil spirits" out. There's tons of superstition here, which people do take very serious! Regular people go to fortune readers or they believe in numerology, so they don't want to live on the 4th floor, they pay tons of money for a "lucky" phone number and so on. And mentioning undead or death in general is a big no no.
    Symbolism and visual images relating to death or monsters, such as in many games, are generally not acceptable, except of course for a younger middle class generation which grew up on western TV or games.

Then those super annoying Qing Dynasty soaps are BIG here. Everyone is beautiful and perfect. Many Chinese games end up looking like them with this fake Qing Dynasy fantasy theme and every character looking like from a Korean boy group... but hey, if it sells. They probably look at the west and think all we have are FPS where you run around as US GI.

Oh and don't get me started about the lame TV here... soaps, soaps, game shows and soaps. The only violence on TV are soaps where they shoot the Japanese - that's ok as long as there's a soapy back-story with evil Japanese villains and a brave Chinese soldier and a nurse...urgh
    At one point Chinese designers wrote a zone that had Fairies & Unicorns as the mobs.

That one ended up in Diablo ;)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I love the title of this thread. So easy to take out of context.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I hear they can do math good too.

I also hear they eat cats.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    Kwramm wrote: »
    There's absolutely shitty artists here as well.

The real kickass ones however manage to get job offers + US/EU visas. If they would hand out visas and jobs to just anyone you'd probably see more of the bad ones too ;)

this. I had a teacher from China. My only programming class, too. and MAN was he an amazing artist. Was never good enough to get into an art school in china as a kid, though (this would have been in the 60's i think). He showed us some work from when he was trying to and holy poop was it awesome...but he was competing for 50 slots in a population the size of California in an area the size of LA...so he decided to get into programming. which is how he got into the US.

so the western world is primarily exposed to people from the eastern world who've made themselves valuable enough to be used elsewhere. simple enough.

now i'm staying the crap out of this thread.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    pretty sure it has zero to do with race and ethnicity and all to do with consistent hard work from a very young age.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not so sure being good at hand-writing or having a more 'visual' written language really has much to do with artistic ability. Mainly because I know plenty of excellent artists with atrocious hand-writing!

The problem with the argument is that should we then, as latin script writers, not be innately better at mechanical or engineering drawings, having a written language whose best practice consists of straight lines, perfect circles and right angles? Or be better at abstracting visually by nature of our non-pictorial script?

The differences you see might just be unfamiliarity to their aesthetics, or similarly being more familiar and more jaded with 'good' western art, or socialised aspects such as an emphasis on work ethic, or just the sheer difference in population size.

Not sure you can ever get much more than speculation out of this...
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    i just wanted to know if other people thought that having a visual, artistic, drawn language, made any difference to the development of artistic ability later in life vs people who have a very unartistic, non-visual language.

nothing more, nothing less.

yeah for sure, asia has shitty artists, just like everywhere else in the world. and definitely their great artists worked hard at it, just like everywhere else in the world... but that's certainly not an answer to the actual question.

All the responses are answers to your question.

The question wasn't extremely offensive, it was just absurd. How does one measure "getting an edge"? And if it is measurable, how do you narrow it down to the style of writing and not consider all the other factors?
    You can only randomly guess and make massive sweeping generalisations, especially when the factor here is as general as how people write.

You could do a survey on all the artists in the world and discover that all the "best ones" like eating pizza or something, and then ask whether eating pizza has an effect on their artistic ability.
    And then you would get a similar reaction from me... because every part of the question just seems silly to me and that's it. How do you even determine who is "the best" in the first place?

But okay, let's hypothesise. Let's say yes, the writing style definitely gives people an edge in artistic ability.
    Now, there are great artists in every country of all races, all of which write in different languages, some may not even write at all.

What now? What exactly can we gather from this discussion? Unless we can definitively say that the majority of artists who've learnt to write in what you consider more "artistic" languages are better than the majority of other artists who write in what you consider "less artistic", the discussion isn't gonna go anywhere. And you can't make that claim without making stupid generalisations - or base the entire topic on your own personal preferences - in which case you might as well just make a topic saying "I like this particular style of art better than this other particular style, who's with me?".
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    i only read through a few of the comments here, so this has probably been said before...maybe

i think a lot of them are amazing at what they do is because they work for it, harder than many. Some of my old friends, and best friends are from different asian countries and 4 of them are in the medical field now (or in med school), one of which is a brother and sister. i assume it's because their parents want them to have a highly respectable career (like a doctor) and to make enough money where they don't have to struggle financially later in life and have enough to also be able to take care of them (the parents) later like many of them do.
    i hear being an artist is not really as respectable as a doctor (at least not to everyone), it's like coming home from school and telling your parents you want to be an artist and they give you *that* look like "sure sure, but then you have to get serious." my best friend who's a resident now did a lot of drawing and painting in our early teenage years, she was big into anime, and manga, and video games and her parents were okay with that as long as she pursued other means for a career and i think when you say no to your parents and that you *can* make a living from art, you really have to prove it and you really have to get amazing fast so you can be put into a position where you are being paid enough to prove to them that you aren't wasting your time. so a lot of dedication and studying and loving what you're doing.
    that's my take on it anyways :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    Most artists I know, including myself have really terrible handwriting haha

this is totaly getting off topic, but noone at the studio i work can read the handwriting of our lead artist. including himself...
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Snader wrote: »
    If anything, you perceive them as better at art because of your own faulty views.

There are four times as many Chinese as US-ians. There are twice as many Chinese as US-ians and Europeans. There are almost as many Chinese as there are people in North America, South America and Europe combined. You would never lump N-A, S-A and EU together as readily as you would say "the Chinese". And here in this thread you lump even more countries together.

This:
    screen-shot-2012-04-03-at-4-21-42-pm.png

This is why there are 'so many Asians good at art'. Simply because there are 'so many Asians'.
    This /thread.

It's a population thing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    This /thread.

It's a population thing.

actually I think it's more of a perception thing. Like Lamont said, someone in Japan is wondering why westerners are so much better at art :P
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Most artists I know, including myself have really terrible handwriting haha

*Realises his own hand writing skills suck*

*Gives up dream of working for Blizzard*

*Becomes 3D Tutor at Thames Valley University*
  • Mrskullface