Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly Impact Driver

Hey guys I'm working on a high poly model of a Makita Impact Driver for one of my 3D classes and was wondering if I could get some feedback!

Here's the reference image:
Makita-LXDT06-Brushless-Impact-Driver.jpg

Here's my model so far:
impactorhighpolyrenders.jpg

Any feedback is always appreciated! thanks!

Replies

• Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    It seems like you have a fair bit of pinching in places.
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like your trying to model most of the whole thing as one piece, which is making it harder than it needs to be.
    There's natural seams and stuff where it could be sepparated to make it a lot easier to get the smoothed shapes right.
    Also don't forget about using floaters for small details like screws and stuff! That also makes it easier to get the big smooth shapes intact :)

In case you're not familiar with floaters, here's an image that explains it quite well!

floater.jpg
  • Colemanq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh, I never thought of using the high poly version like that, thanks for the tip Callesw! I think I might try to implement that in this model on some of those smaller details.

thanks for the feedback!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem! There's a lot of little tricks out there :) Keep up the good work!
  • Colemanq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

just throwing up another quick progress shot for this asset, thanks for the feedback!

impactorpage1.jpg

gonna start moving onto the low-poly version now, any feedback is still appreciated!
  • Colemanq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, just tossing up a progress update on my prop so far!

I've moved on past the low-poly and have started baking my normals with a first pass at a texture, but here's a quick few renders of my high-poly and low-poly.

impactorpage2.jpg

Any feedback is always appreciated! =)
  • BIGSOG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try to put a little more work in capturing the reference on your high poly, especially the grip and the top of you high poly lack detail. Good process so far though.
  • Colemanq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice BIGSOG, and if I had more time I would definitely try to implement that, but unfortunately I'm on a relatively tight timetable. I've addressed some of the grip detailing in my diffuse, I'll try and get a little more of those details in the upper area.

Here's what I have at the moment:
    impactorudkpage1_zpsff1ca861.jpg