Home Technical Talk

Marmoset Tools and the new dDo (unfamiliar with both, are they similar?)

justjake
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
justjake polycounter lvl 11
Hi there. I have seen Marmoset and the new dDo programs and they both seem to have a few similar features. These would be seeing various textures on an object in real time. Could anybody tell me if there is much more of a difference and if it is a "buy one or the other" case or just buy both?

Kind of eager to find out as Marmoset Toolbag is on sale. Would like to see an informed opinion and I can't find anybody talking about the differences.

Replies

• MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    They are not at all the same really, marmoset is a tool to preview and showcase your models/animation/textures and has some neat lighting features and material tweak options .

dDo is a diffuse/specular texture map generation tool and has the 3D preview as an extra to easily see and tweak your textures on your 3D model.

Yes they both have a 3D preview but that's pretty much where the similarity ends if you ask me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS wrote: »
    They are not at all the same really, marmoset is a tool to preview and showcase your models/animation/textures and has some neat lighting features and material tweak options .

dDo is a diffuse/specular texture map generation tool and has the 3D preview as an extra to easily see and tweak your textures on your 3D model.

Yes they both have a 3D preview but that's pretty much where the similarity ends if you ask me.

This is pretty much it, both apps will actually work very well together, dDo is more about content creation while marmoset is all about presentation. So you make your textures with PS and dDo, and set up more advanced presentation stuff in Marmoset, lighting, post effects, camera effects, etc.
  • justjake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    justjake polycounter lvl 11
    Brilliant, thank you for clearing that up for me.