Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP female head

Hey everyone, I am currently working on this head, female in 3ds max. This is the first time i have gotten this far in any head sculpt. I fear I am over thinking the model too much, but the eyes have me a bit puzzled, as well as the mouth. I started with a sphere and built off of that, as a reference I was using a stylized female model from the Digital tutor course I took, but started changing things like the stylized eyes to something less cartoonish.

I don't know if i am really getting the eyes right, in the render the eyes look....meh. Atleast to me. I have added a proflie and a front view below as well as an image of the screen shot of the model in max. i would welcome any feedback on what or how I can change this up, or polish the model up. I appreciate everyone who takes a look at this and any wisdom you imaprt. Thanks again.

Joel/Ryndur

newfaceside.jpg

newfacefront.jpg

newworkinprogress.jpg

Thanks again for your time.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You might want to look at some topology examples on the polycount wiki, because the pole on the side of her head is not something you want to have.
  • Ryndur
    Thanks for the feedback Bardler, I appreciate it. I have been reviewing examples on Topology since last night and will start reworking the model again today. :D
  • OverMarvelous
    When you are learning use reference. Compare this to a photo and see where your mistakes are. They will be obvious. :) ALWAYS USE REFERENCE!

Also use less triangles. Not from a performance point of view, but from a silohette point of view. It is easier to make changes to a mesh with lower tri's.
  • Ryndur
    Thanks overMarvelous for the feedback. :) I have restarted the model again, since posting my last message. I hope that I can get the topology better. In the first attempt I had a reference I was working with, I removed them from the screen shot before taking it, I should have left it in. :D I am staying away from the use of a sphere this time and going with more use of planes and copying them around the model. I hope this will also help reduce the Triangles as well.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    If you haven't checked it out, i would get yourself a hot beverage and read through this. Troy, in my opinion, is "the guy" or making females on these forums - and he pretty much brain dumps his method and reasoning here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98113
  • Ryndur
    Gav - thanks so much for the link, I am reading it today, and so far I am really excited about the knowledge. I really appreciate your letting me know about this!
  • sdmitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    I would suggest starting with a base model first, like the one from Mudbox or other such things and then taking that into Max and changing it. That way it already gives you a good, basic shape with correct topology. :)
  • Ryndur
    @Sdmitchell - thank you for the tip. I will definately check into this option! :D I appreciate it very much.

@Gav - still very much reading through the thread you gave me as well as the links to other artists who were participating on projects with Haz. I really like his abilty to lay out things and reasoning on why he choses his paths to follow.

Thanks again guys,
    Joel/Ryndur