Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stuck on what to do next: Mesh Optimization

Hi guys,

I have decided I need to set some goals, and focus on creating some finished pieces for my portfolio. So I have been working on the following sculpt. I am still pretty new to character modeling and am working on overcoming the technical challenges of creating game ready characters.

I am currently stuck on what to do next. I have made quite a bit of progress but I don’t know what to do in the areas where the mesh overlaps or is double sided and you really cannot see the faces on the back side. If this character were to go in game there would be quite a bit of overlapping geometry and I’m pretty sure this is not a good thing. I know meshes need to be optimized if they were to go in game but I really don’t know how to go about this. Do I retopo the whole character and subtools into one solid mesh? If so how do I do this? I understand the retopo tools in ZBrush and Topogun but I don’t know how to retopo multiple obejects/subtools and project them onto one single mesh. If someone could please explain the next steps I need to take or send me a link to a tutorial that does. I’d really appreciate it.

I am working on sculpting this concept by Jaime Jones:
bDQMV.jpg
Bush Toad Variant B from Guild Wars: Eyes of the North

This is the schedule I am trying to stick to: It will probably take me longer but as long as I finish this character in a pretty reasonable amount of time I will be happy.
pM6R4.jpg

r42Wu.jpg

I then sent the mesh back to ZBrush and began refining the form and detailing the character.
TCdVg.jpg

This is where I am stuck:
N92r6.jpg

Replies

• neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    In this case anything that is hugging the body such as the straps and gloves, I would just treat that as an extrusion from the skin. I suggest that you keep the armor plates and loin cloth as separate objects. For rigging purposes it is ideal not to have overlapping geometry where there is going to be deformation.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you neilberard for your advice. I went ahead and sculpted the bands/straps into the body of the character instead of having them as separate objects. I'l keep this in mind for any future sculpts.

Here is what the sculpt looks like now. I have started to add some color using poly paint. I am still working on the loin cloth and armor bits and have not made much progress on them yet so they are hidden in this screen shot.

PXOxC.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    Oh no, I was referring to the low-poly when you bake out the model, for the hi poly it's fine to just stack objects together as separate pieces.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok, I misunderstood... that makes more sense. No harm done. Lesson learned. :)
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I haven't gotten to baking out the model yet. I ended up giving him some more mass in in the chest and tried to make the character less "frog" and more "toad" like so it would match the original concept a bit more. I am pretty pleased with the results but there are a few areas that I am still adjusting.

474lY.jpg
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After working a bit more on the form I decided to remove the straps that I had sculpted into the character’s body and make them their own sub tools again because I really want to learn how to handle multiple high poly sub tools and the process of projecting/baking out the detail onto a low poly mesh. I am very confused and I feel like I am doing this incorrectly. I used ZBrush to retopo the model and then extruded the straps and cut the UVs in Maya. I then tried to project the details from the straps and the body to the new base mesh in ZBrush. The results of the projection were rather disappointing. The first two attempts I ended up with results that looked like this:

Zx9Q3.jpg

The next attempt turned out better but there is still a significant amount of clean-up work that needed to be done. I worked my way through each subdivision level smoothing/polishing out the spikey ugly bits but I think it was faster just to sculpt the straps into the skin so I am really confused at this point. I do not feel this is the most efficient way of creating this character so I am guessing I am doing something wrong.

I really am confused on how to handle these straps? Right now I am going from the strap subtools + the main body down to one low poly mesh. Should this low poly mesh be broken down into multiple objects as well? So the straps are their own objects and the body is made of one object. Then project the straps and the body separately? I have not tried this yet. I only thought of it now. Thus far I have tried merging the body and straps subtools and then projecting that onto the lowpoly mesh….the results were not very good. I also tried projecting the body detail first and then the straps and projecting at each subdivision level again the results were not very good.

This Is what the low poly character looks like with the UVs:

dkl2y.jpg
  • Twister3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Twister3 polycounter lvl 12
    I would treat the straps and the armor as a seperate tool with their own uv map because that allows you to have a bigger resolution independent of the body. The edges between the body and the straps will always look sharp and you won't have mipmap problems. Also that makes it far easier to bake and you will have no problem with projection artifacts at the borders between body and clothing.
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I finally got the maps created and applied to the low poly mesh. Here is what it looks like. I am calling this one complete for the time being but I think I will revisit it in the future and fix a few things (the armor bits don't quite look like metal, the spec map could use some work as well and I am sure I can find a some other areas I would like to improve). Thanks for your help Twister3 and neilberard.

snA2f.jpg
  • teggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been quite a long time since I last posted an updated on this project. I called it quits after creating the low poly version. At the time I did not have the technical know-how to take the piece much further and I was so frustrated and irritated that I decided to move on to something else. I have learned a lot since I then so I went back and redid the piece. I kept the high poly body and pretty much re-worked everything else. Here is the latest version:

BT_lowpoly_teggs.jpg

BT_wireframes_teggs.jpg

BT_wireframe_textures_teggs.jpg