Home Technical Talk

Enhance the normal map

Hamza
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Hamza polycounter lvl 5
hi
can i get some help here plz?:(
after 2 days of trying i got better result but still not perfect:poly122:, i have giving to undersatnd that to keep my hard edges i need to split the uvs where they meet,so thats what i did and definitely i got better result but still have some artifact whith fine details, as you can notice the small details added on the hard edges.
i'm stuck here plz help

2cditqv.jpg

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like rays are perhaps not casting out far enough?

In xNormal, for your low-poly settings, I always change it from 0.5 , 0.5 to 10 and 10. Not sure if that will make a difference for you, as it could be a ton of other things, but give it a try.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    also looks like there's little to no beveling on the highpoly which will give you almost no transfer of detail, and the uv map has more shells than required with quite a few jagged areas that would benefit from being straightened out
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    i tried to change the values no big difference, and the uv shells i read that it has to match your hard edges :/
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Hard edges interrupt triangle stripping and border verts get doubled, usually better to chamfer in these areas where it looks like you can keep the UV's relatively low-distortion when welded/kept contiguous.

hI1cc.png
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    MikeF wrote: »
    also looks like there's little to no beveling on the highpoly which will give you almost no transfer of detail, and the uv map has more shells than required with quite a few jagged areas that would benefit from being straightened out

It should, but you've got hard edges where you don't need any. As for the shitty bake, I'm pretty sure it's because your cage is wrong - did you give it some global extrusion by editing the cage in xN's viewport? You should have use cage ticked and Use Exported Normals selected on the lowpoly in xN.

I think you're not understanding why you need hard edges and where, and why you should put the UV seam where your hard edges are. Like I said in the other thread, read up on how vertices split and what this means.

For the pillar body, the most optimal setup will be to have the sides joined, meaning you will have 1 seam and therefor 1 hard edge. The other edges will be smooth. If you look back at my pillar bake you should be able to see how I've set it up.

As you can see in this pic, everywhere I have a UV boundary, that edge is hard. Everything else is smooth.

XUwEs.png
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    thank you for the explanation

as for the cage in Xnrml in 3d viewer i checked it and tweak it a bit, but think it looked fine

as for the hard edge i read that when you have hard edge you need splited uvs (old method) or you can put thepillar body in 1 smoothing group (thats what i prefer) but thatn i get the gradient color in the nrml map as in the model to fix that you need to add more edge but in your model i see it worked well without adding segments.

anyway ill try your methoud and ill let you know
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Also, try increasing the scale of your mesh in xnormal. Change both the low and high poly to a scale of like 5 (it's in the mesh settings in xnormal). That will sometimes fix issues like this.
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    ok so definitely i got better result here but still some tiny problem :p

im wondering what made thats artifacts (pointed in red) and why the model in marmoset looks weird i checked the trirangulation it looks fine

what i did is like bek said the body with 1 seams and 2 smothing grp

i dont know if chamfering the egde is a good idead ill end up with more vertex count

i know in 3dsmax there is a way to fix that bleeding between the base and the body with material ID, is there a way in Xnormal to fix it?

eims6f.jpg
  • Hamza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamza polycounter lvl 5
    ok i fixed the marmoset mech, i forgot to detach the top of the pillar from the rest of the uvs :p