Home General Discussion

Negative feedback

Replies

• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Ignore it? I don't know what kind of person would call someone a pedo over something like this. Just ignore them.
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I approach it no different then I would in proffessional environment. Like it or not the industry is based in a corperate world. The art of criting someone's work is hard. Even more so when its in text. Opinions are made from both sides intentinal or not. To be totally fair reading feedback sometimes I take it totally out of context. I did that with XYZ, its of no fault of anyone. It happens. When you create content there tend to be reasons for doing so. Those reasons arn't always known. My self for example I tend to do alot of small studies, either trying to find a new way to work or whatever. Mixed in with that there are pieces that I'd spend a fair amount of time on. On a thread or blog its kind of hard to know whats what. I think alot of it is contextual. When I give feedback its to try to help someone out and I think thats what we all do. At the end of the day its about trying to get better. I would just keep in mind how it might come across. With that said. Sometimes people get ass sore, honestly in a proffesional setting I think crits are a bit easier to understand in person. Just my thoughts though
  • TNO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO
    @ Bigjohn
    @ MetalMan123

a serious thank you for the informations . :)

but for a good critic in general - no matter the cultural differences (in my country this is like a serious death note) -shouldn´t be swear words integrated - right?
  • MetalMan123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My last post before I get my dwarf ass to the gym. But I will say that iteration is what makes us great. If I'm apply to a company for freelance I show maybe 5 or 6 things. Most of the stuff I do is essentially a sketch but in 3d and probablly a million more swear words during the process then a sketch on paper. Its important to build not discurage or attack. Harsh feedback is good and sometimes needed but growing and build someone so their next piece or scene or render or script or whatever the hell they are doing is better then the last, well to me thats the most important. Luckly though I have had the benifit of having my sack speedbagged more times then I can count by this site. I'd be lieing if said I never got pissed or bitched about it. I would also be lieing if I never got better either. The take away I guess is be mindful of what you say build em up if you can, and don't forget no matter how good the artist is now they all started at the same spot, Knowing dick all about this stuff. We learn and we grow. The trick is to not stop learning and growing.

Btw get your slayer holiday christmas sweater
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNO wrote: »
    about Negative Feedback
    does someone know how a proper reaction should be if the artist self gets attacked and not the (sometimes really) poor made art?

for example describing someone as a child molester or "pedo" falls in my opinion totally in the category of serious trolling.
    what would be the proper reaction to such harmful lies?
    Click report and let the moderators sort them out? It's not totally lord of the flies around here...
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    When the hell did that happen?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    let me guess, DOTA2 contest "feedback"
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Pretty much this, how exactly is one to saaaay, Critique in fashion that doesn't offend either party when they're saaay, making a model of Fionna from Adventure Time in a Realistic manner.

Yeah... That thread was exactly the kind of situation Autocon and JaqueChoi described on the first page. People's ideas and opinions for the project didn't line up with my goals. They weren't wrong at all, but everyone was basically suggesting I switch my project... Which I did definitely consider. With how badly it turned out, they could have been fully right, but I still wouldn't have wanted to do it any differently.

Hopefully people don't see that and think I am not receptive to critiques. I love getting critiques that makes me realize I've been doing something blindly wrong and crits that are just simple fixes to improve my project. I think looking through some old threads I've made adjustments based on people's feedback a lot, that one thread/project was just a mess which was a learning experience in itself.