Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Virbank City Gym, UDK.

tanka
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
tanka polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

I've been slowly making my way through Pokemon Black 2, and I thought the Virbank City Gym was on of the coolest I'd seen in any of the games. I decided I'd have a go at recreating it in UDK.

I was originally going to base it off the gym in the game, but I've since decided to base it off the anime. I've watched the episode online and I've created a sheet of reference.

refimage.jpg

I'm going to try and create the whole scene using nDO, and avoid creating high poly meshes.

Wish me luck.

Replies

• nedwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck. The scene might be very empty without people in there.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    @Chillydog12345 I'm looking forward to playing around with the lighting. I'm also really looking forward to recreating that Koffing graffiti on the stage wall.

@nedwork I'm not too worried about losing the people. It might look a little empty, but it's such an awkward looking crowd to begin with. It should look fine without them.

I've been blocking out the scene in modo, I think I'm almost at a point where I can start to refine the scene.

blockout.jpg

And I'll post this just to get into the spirit of things. :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBL80C1vG9c"]Roxie's Gym Theme, P-O-K-E-M-ON (Pokemon Black 2 & White 2) - YouTube[/ame]
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Alright, I've been working on this scene for the past week or so, and I've run into some problems with the light baking. I'm a bit of a nub with lighting in UDK.

lighting-problem.jpg

Ignoring the fact I haven't put a second set of UVs on the support beams yet, and the crazy lens flare. I can't figure out why the lighting changes so drastically when I bake it.

I'm quite familiar with lights in Cryengine, so I'd chuck it in there and be done with it.. However that wouldn't teach me anything would it. :P
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    In UE3, if you don't have the lightmap channel, it samples the light at each vertex of the mesh and interpolates the result.

I'm guessing you don't have vertices along the black beams, so it samples the light at either end (i.e. inside the floor and ceiling) and then interpolates between black and black.
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    That's the problem with the beams.. I haven't added the second set of UVs to that item yet.

I'm referring to the room itself. The lighting that is baked doesn't reflect the original at all. It's alot brighter, and it has lost all the colour information. (the green on the walls is gone)
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Are the walls BSP? You might need to crank the lightmap resolution (double click on a surface) which IIRC is actually the units between the lightmap texels rather than a resolution figure.
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    tanka wrote: »
    That's the problem with the beams.. I haven't added the second set of UVs to that item yet.

I'm referring to the room itself. The lighting that is baked doesn't reflect the original at all. It's alot brighter, and it has lost all the colour information. (the green on the walls is gone)

Decrease bounce lighting somehow. There are multiple ways to do it, like in the light actor's properties.