Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[ArenaNet Internship 2013] - Character

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage
I tried this last year with less-than-stellar results, for this time around I've decided to do the same character (the female one) to see how I've improved.

CharacterTest2011_2.jpg

CuXCR.jpg

LgeBu.jpg

I have most things blocked out, and I'm going to be moving on to detailing soon. If I have time I might try and get her weapon in for the final presentation.
Any crits or feed back would be great.

Replies

• Kaiser D
    Great start! but you could get it closer to the concept by slimming her figure down a bit more. The legs could use more length.

Keep going! I'll join you in a few days by doing the environment test, and good luck!
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    This is a character that is in guild wars 2. If you are not digging up reference from the game and finding that armor/getting proportional cues from the assets that were made for the game, you are doing it wrong. =)

That said, KEEP GOING.
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Ooh, I havent seen that concept art before. Totally want to give that male armor a shot!

I do agree that the proportions could be improved.. Right now she's looking a little squashed while in the concept art she looks like she has a tall, lithe figure. The armor looks like it's coming along nicely, but I would work on the body and face a bit more to bring them closer to the concept before continuing work on the armor.

Good luck! Keep working at it :)
  • {scumworks}
    stoofoo wrote: »
    This is a character that is in guild wars 2. If you are not digging up reference from the game and finding that armor/getting proportional cues from the assets that were made for the game, you are doing it wrong. =)

That said, KEEP GOING.

Not that I want you todo the work for me, but you wouldnt happen to know the name of the character or armorset? I had been searching for hours before giving up and just freestyling the unknown parts.

On topic. As said, shes def very bulky compared to the concept. Still, its not bad man =P.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for all of the encouragement and critiques about the anatomy, they where spot on:

dBXo6.gif
    It's looking much better now. I also now realize why all of the GW2 characters are so thin without any armor on, it's to keep the stylized figure and prevent them from bulking up too much with armor on.

CEUoY.jpg

Also for those interested the female armor is the Norn Cultral Light Armor Tier 3, the game calls it the Lupine Set.

Norn-Female-Cultural-Tier-3-Light-Lupine.jpg

I noticed it doesn't follow the concept in some areas, probably mostly due to budget constraints. It gave me some ideas of things I could do, especially for the back and skirt piece, but I don't want to copy it exactly. I'm trying to see what kind of things I can give my own unique spin on and still work within the constraints given.
  • nyx702
    The edits make it look so much better! The face is looking sexy. One small note: the nostrils feel a little bulbous. Maybe try smoothing down the upper part?

I am not sure if this is in your plans or not but IMHO the layered shin armor could be separately modeled pieces. They look ok now but with the surrounding pieces being separate I feel like there is a bit of disconnect in the sculpting. Again, just IMO.
  • {scumworks}
    Thanks man, I had no idear it was the norn set (she doesnt look very nornish).

Its looking much better with the new proportions. As said the nose could use some more refinement, and also the lips.

-.cheers
  • ablaine
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    She's looking better! I still think you could go a little further with it, adding more feminine S-curves to her body, and the forearms might be a little bit long right now. For the face, I would gather a bunch of reference images of lips, eyes, noses, etc, and just focus on those parts one by one until she looks more feminine. But good work--keep it up! :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks for the crits and suggestions, some other people pointed out some more minor proportion problems as well, so I'm going to tweak the proportions a bit more before I continue working more on the armor. My goal is to try and get the high poly done by this weekend (hoping to have anatomy down pat tomorrow armor and details over the weekend) then I can spend the rest of next week finishing it up by the deadline on the 20th.

Thanks again, every bit helps!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    XN5fA.jpg

Fixed more of the proportion issues that where pointed out like the nose, a bit of the lips, the forearms where shortened and the legs where thinned out just a little bit more. All of the elements are in, I'll still take critiques but I can't spend too much more time on the high poly if I want to make it on time.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    idmee.jpg

It's been a little while and I haven't given up on this, finished the low poly with normals at 7,500 tris.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    PhkYF.jpg

Textures so far, and since I have a bit of a hard time getting textures please critique away, I'll post flats if it will help more. Currently using XoluilShader II for the render.
  • nyx702
    Nice! I like the color choices. I like what you are doing with the leather too.

The metal seems somewhat darker than the concept. Maybe try it a little lighter?

I also feel like the red hues on her nose looks a little bit like she has a cold.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    It's the final week: Ready, Set, GO! poly142.gif

Thanks for the crit, it helped! I did a lot of little tweaks to the texture, I also rigged her over the weekend and gave her a quick pose
    17bC3.jpg

I also made the weapon in the concept that i want to use for the final beauty shot I have planned.
    KqhYo.jpg
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Final Renders!

AJackson_ANet2013_Beauty.jpg

AJackson_ANet2013_Turns.jpg

AJackson_ANet2013_Breakdowns.jpg

AJackson_ANet2013_High.jpg
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Just saw your crosspost in the WAYWO, and I was wondering - why are the chains all flat planes? Certainly it's not overly expensive to give them some thickness - you could make something like like a hip roof, mirror it, and for only 12 triangles per link (about 350-400 tris for the whole char) give the chains some actual volume.

Currently it's kind of bothering me that in almost every render you're looking on the side of some plane, which means that you see 3 disconnected floating links.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I have a tri budget of 7,500 tris, I see what your saying and I agree but when I'm currently at 7,448 tris I really don't have that much to spare. I haven't turned it in yet so I can still fix them. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Ah. Yeah, if you think it's too late to try, I won't blame you. Sorry I posted that so late in the process, I don't always read all the forum threads. =P

However if you want to give it a shot still, I think you should have a look at the smaller demonfaces. They seem to have considerably more triangles than the center belt buckle, even though they're quite a bit smaller. You'd have to remove... 57 triangles per face to have enough budget for 12-triangle chain links. Which is going to be tricky since you only have about 80~90 triangles per face it seems.
  • PDC
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Nice one, Alexandra. I really like the little hair ornament on the back of her head
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I fixed the links so none of the straight edges are facing the camera and thanks for pointing the small faces on the belt-chain-thing, I now feel like such a dumbass for not noticing how dense they where.
    I'm not sure how I could make 12 tri chain links, I made some torus(es?) and the lowest I could get is 24 tris with 4 segments and 3 sides, unless I missing something... I've already turned it in, but never to late to learn something that could help me in the long run.

Thanks PDC!
  • greyskill
    Hey, I just saw your discussion about the chains and I thought it might be helpful if I threw my 2 cents in.
    I did an entry too and I decided that the chains should have 3d geometry.
    The only way that I could figure out how to do it is like you were saying, you can only get them down to 24 triangles.
    I think that snader was thinking 12 polygons, which would translate into 24 triangles.

So, by deciding to make the chains 3d you take a huge triangle count blow, and really need to prioritize detail.
    So by my calculations, it is 24 per chain, plus 18 for the partial chain attached to the weight at the bottom, times 7 links, times 4 chains equals 744 triangles.
    So, that is a large number of tris to dedicate to the chains, but I think it was worth it.

Here is a shot of my version of the art test with the 3d chains.

WireFrame.png

But good work, and good luck! It is nice to see other people who tried there hand at this!

I really should make a thread here for this to get some feedback so I can learn from this as well! =)