Home Technical Talk

How to set best occlusion in xnormal?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I have found nor many tuts and are either old or nt corresponding precisely to the actual xnormal interface , so could someone tell me how to correctly setup the occlusion in order to get an even one? most of the times I get just a washed out white texture rather than a detailed occlusion map :/ ...

thanks for any answer...

Replies

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    LINK

From xNormal site. Some cool info there.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    that's the old info I was talking about , it doesn't reflect the actual interface .
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah,to be honest i gave up on xnormals AO,though i have to say,i use it for generating pretty much all the maps,Except the AO.
    I find i have much more control using maya Transfer maps,with a custom dome GI setup script.
    I dont know if there are people here that use the Occlusion in Xnormal,it would be nice to see a workflow on this.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA wrote: »
    that's the old info I was talking about , it doesn't reflect the actual interface .

Some stuff may help you though. Main xNormals advantage for me is speed. Just set low ray count and resolution. Change things and test. People usually use curvature/cavity map with ao for 'detailed' occlusion.
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    can u post a picture of ur settings?

Iuse the cavity map makign for later but I wanted to have a better general AO that I never was able to get so far ...
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't have any specific settings. I go from default and tweak it a bit. I usually change it a bit in photoshop. I try not to have 100% blacks. I also use curvature map from xNormal (usually got problems with setting good Curvature :D).

I hope someone will be able to give you more specific info.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there,
    Last time I wrote it down I was using this :

Rays : 256
    Distribution : Uniform
    Bias : 0.000010
    Spread Angle : 175
    Limit ray distance : off
    Attenuation : 1 ; 0 ; 0
    Jitter, Ignore backface hits, Allow 100% occlusion : off

Now this was a little while ago so things might have changed since then... I'd have to double check.
    Also remember to post the results of your best efforts and your own values when posting such a question, as it always makes it easier for everybody to follow.
  • NAIMA
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    There's info on all xnormal settings in the manual as well
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    man seriously just set the map size small, and experiemnt with a ton of test bakes, till you got something you like.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    passerby wrote: »
    man seriously just set the map size small, and experiemnt with a ton of test bakes, till you got something you like.
    This.

To be honest, I have spent maybe something like 15 minutes one time to test all the parameters on one of my characters. From this I was able to find what was working well or not. (Printscreen each time you change a setting, then compare from this).

Sometimes people should try before asking help. :poly116:
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    passerby wrote: »

^this or use your modeling application, though time will vary.

Froyok:
    It's easier to just get others to do the work for us then we can clone them instead and look as leet.:poly136:
  • NAIMA
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    $!nz wrote: »
    ^this or use your modeling application, though time will vary.

Froyok:
    It's easier to just get others to do the work for us then we can clone them instead and look as leet.:poly136:
    No ! Is easier if people have already done the work and are willing to share their experience, this improves everyonelse life and is what is based upon human evolution ... if everyone had to reinvent the wheel to get a car we woudl still be in stoneage.
  • Ravenok
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    The best thing to do is to just set things to low quality baking, and test different numbers...

What works for me:
    Increase model size (hi and low) to 3-5 (unless your model is very large/you want it to bake in the size it was made)
    256 rays, rarely more
    Distribution - uniform
    Bias 0.08
    Angle can be anywhere between 160 to 179, really depends on the model. I always change this value.
    Attenuation will be default: 1/0/0. Though if you get banding in your bakes, changing the 2 "zeros" very very slightly might give you nicer results, I found.

Turn off 100% occlusion as well.

What will mainly control your occlusion result is the attenuation values. Changing them, even very slightly, will make a lot of difference on the result.

I'm no tech guru when it comes to why these things get me the best results, there are way too many software we come across these days for me to remember how each one calculates rays... but experimentation, which is the best way to get results, has lead me to these stats.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    No ! Is easier if people have already done the work and are willing to share their experience, this improves everyonelse life and is what is based upon human evolution ... if everyone had to reinvent the wheel to get a car we woudl still be in stoneage.

You are right, why learn how to eat when your mother can do it for you ?
    I'm kidding, learning a bit of independence doesn't mean learning all by yourself.
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11

no... it means everyone would have their own car.
  • Sharvo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Hmmm, just experiment yourself you might find something useful to give back to the community. People are always developing new ways to do things take your example of the wheel and car yes the fundamentals havent changed, but the way we make them has.

Just step outside your comfort, those people that got there results had to trial and error, it didnt come straight away yes its frustrating when things dont go according to plan, but that then makes me want to solve it and understand why i am not getting it correct.

In your first post you could have at least shown an image of what you get with the settings you use, then people may be able to steer you in the right direction.
  • Scruples
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Froyok wrote: »
    You are right, why learn how to eat when your mother can do it for you ?
    I'm kidding, learning a bit of independence doesn't mean learning all by yourself.

Doesn't work that way, you can't punch someone on the face and go "Aha!, kidding!". It's immature and to be fair, parents do teach their children how to eat, so do animals. So while I agree with what you are saying, it could be less crude.
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18

I was being sarcastic but it has sparked conversation:thumbup:.:poly136:
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Well the reason you want to test the attributes yourself, is then you have a understanding of what each setting does.
    So when you want another look from your AO bake, you don't have to start another thread asking for it.
  • EarthQuake

Things like mesh detail, texture resolution, etc may effect the end result, so there really isn't any shortcut to simply testing it yourself. Though I usually use a high ray number like 1024 to avoid banding artifacts. Depending on how slow/fast yout computer is you'll want to try various values.

no free lunch etc
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i have found the object scale changes the AO in xnormal alot, if your map looks washed out, try a much smaller scale on your high and low, so by default it is 1, so if it looks washed out try .01, if your AO looks too dark try a scale higher, like 10 or 100.