Home General Discussion

Elite on kickstarter

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rolfness polycounter lvl 18
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous?ref=live

“Elite” has gone down in history as one of the most successful games of the 1980s. It was the first ‘open world’ game in which the player can freely roam a vast space. It was the first true 3D game too, and set many other benchmarks. Ian Bell and I set out to make a game for ourselves rather than for some imagined market. We were sick of games with three lives then a new life every 10,000 score; we wanted something new.

Mostly Harmless.

The original “Elite” fitted into around 22K of memory, out of a total of 32K on the BBC Micro Model B computer on which it was launched (8K was needed for the screen, 2K for the system). This is less than a single typical email today. In it were eight galaxies each with 256 star systems. Each planet in those systems had its own legal system, economy and so on. Clearly some magic had to happen to fit it into 22K, and that magic was procedural generation.

Competent

“Frontier” followed in 1993 on 16 bit computers, and pushed these procedural techniques further. In it I made a model of the whole of the Milky Way galaxy with all 100,000,000,000 or so star systems, and many more planets and moons, each of which you could visit. It is something I am really proud of, as it was as scientifically accurate as I could make it, and provided a great backdrop for a game. I loved the richness of the galaxy, but with the benefit of hindsight I think the way the ships flew detracted from the joyous immediacy of those in “Elite”.

Dangerous

Imagine what is now possible, squeezing the last drop of performance from modern computers in the way “Elite” and “Frontier” did in their days? It is not just a question of raw performance (though of course these elements will make it look gorgeous), but we can push the way the networking works too – something very few people had access to in the days of Frontier.

Frontier Developments, the company I founded in January 1994 (and whose first product was a version of the “Frontier” game for the CD32 console), is now a very well established game development company with 235 people in the UK and Canada, with its own technology and tools and a great team of game developers. We have a long track record of delivering high quality games on time and to budget, both published by ourselves and through big publishers like Microsoft, LucasArts, Atari, and Sony.

Elite: Dangerous is the game I have wanted Frontier to make for a very long time. The next game in the Elite series - an amazing space epic with stunning visuals, incredible gameplay and breath-taking scope, but this time you can play with your friends too. I want a game that feels more like the original “Elite” to fly, and with more rapid travel (to allow for the multi-player nature of the game) – so you travel quickly using local ‘hyperspace’ travel rather than by fast-forwarding time – but with the rich galaxy of Frontier – and more, so much more.

I’ll be frank - we have had a couple of false starts on this over the years, where progress wasn’t as good as I wanted. Also, understandably, other projects have been prioritised – projects with announced dates or other commitments. Up to now “Elite” has been worked upon by a small team as a ‘skunk-works’ activity in the background as availability permits. Nevertheless, we have been preparing; laying the technology and design foundations for when the time is right. And that time is now.

Replies

• Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    I was thinking "someone has to make a new elite" not so long ago :)
    Exciting !
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    To be honest, i think this is a joke. Wanting 2 mio $ and not showing anything at all.

Its almost like "hey i have this super idea, to make the best MMO ever, give me 100 mio $ its gonna be awesome, really!"
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    ^I'm with Neox on this.

He has history, however, it doesn't take much time or money to put together a prototype showing gameplay, or some aspects of what he wants to create, especially as he's a veteran. Or even some artwork, so show something visual.

Or present a timeline, and the features you want to implement, and have some kind of idea on the order you intend to implement, it gives more confidence than just presenting a grand idea.

And from I've heard, he's been trying to make this off and on in his free time for a while, and failed a number of times, or wasn't happy with the out come or something.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm in the "do whatever you want with my money!" situation, I would've wanted details and a pitch-video though.

There's a lack of procedural space-sims in the likes of elite which does warrant the gambling in this case, especially with elite 2 sporting a galaxy of space-to-planet seamlessness on a floppy, in 93'
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    this is clearly the worst kickstarter attempt i have seen since steam bandits.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    found the video :
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3xHj0plhDU"]elite classic beeb computer game - YouTube[/ame]

umm to be blatant ... Robert Space Industries is Lightyears more advance than this "elite" kickstarter.
    http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

the reason I love how RSI shows trailer/teaser and conceptart before telling ideas. to prove that he is not just an "idea guy" in kickstarter
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    whoah! that RSI game looks so promising.. I'll be all over that when it's out
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    xvampire wrote: »
    umm to be blatant ... Robert Space Industries is Lightyears more advance than this "elite" kickstarter.

It is, but again, starcitizen isn't intending to go down the elite route, it's going down the freelancer one.

So even with as good as it is looking it'll never scratch that procedural final frontier itch where you go from space to planet and jump around a galaxy-sized world (as far as I know)
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I wish this Kickstarter attempt was more promising. I LOVE ELITE. A modern port of Elite is Oolite. http://www.oolite.org/ It could use some new art, GUYS!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    FYI, 'Elite 4' has supposedly been in development on-and-off since around 2006. You have been warned.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    FYI, 'Elite 4' has supposedly been in development on-and-off since around 2006. You have been warned.

Not working on elite 4 has been what has kept the studio alive. It was stuck in development hell entirely due to publishers for realistic reasons not wanting to have anything to do with such a game.

We can throw the kick-starter fraud line around all day, but every studio gets a chance to either win the crowd or spoil their reputation forever, and £20 for a chance to get a new elite is a tiny price to pay compared to the reputation the studio will have to gamble with.

That goes for every big name kickstarter project.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the problem is, that they are not only gambling with heir reputation, but with the whole crowdfunding idea. all it will take to let all this funding fall apart are some of those big fishes failing their claims. also i do think, if you want someones money you should better show him what you want to do, instead of just daydreaming what would be cool. I think it is also about giving, not only about taking free money.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I'm with Neox.

Btw, i didn't know this "elite" game. I'm not that old LOL
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im same as eld and Im kinda surprised by the detractors, if anybody were to remake it I would want Braben to do it not anyone else, perhaps the kickstarter pitch could be better presented but Im willing to give it a chance.

Ive backed enough to participate in the Dev forum.. will be lurking there to see how things shape up..

almost £300k ..
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Neox wrote: »
    the problem is, that they are not only gambling with heir reputation, but with the whole crowdfunding idea. all it will take to let all this funding fall apart are some of those big fishes failing their claims. also i do think, if you want someones money you should better show him what you want to do, instead of just daydreaming what would be cool. I think it is also about giving, not only about taking free money.

That is true, but remember when looking back that the big double-fine adventure was basically a video and no game or even idea of what it was going to be about, DF has also been in the position of having made party games to keep alive with no publisher wanting to touch their adventure games or psychonauts sequel.

Kickstarter is not so easily killed as you would believe, there are enough successful projects on there to make even a failed big one seem like nothing, and to me the cost of a backing is the same in a 2 million or 30 thousand budget project.

The Ouya, for example, could cause the kickstarter apocalypse if your theory is right.

Again, The first thing I reacted on was the lack of a video, but the price for a person is quite small for a chance of a new elite, which again had another direction than many o the new spacetrade games.

Their reputation is really all that is at stake, most backers wont really stop backing projects if one fails amongst the others that succeeded.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i understand, but with double fine i at leastvhad the feeling "pkay now i kinda know the team, know what they want to do and are capable of" there are others why i never understood the campaign worked, like project eternity. i understand why others worked but some are just a mystery including elite. We backed dozens of projects already, not gonna back this one until i know a bit more, see that something is happening here, besides grabbing free money. I would really love it to work out, and see a new elite but right now i' still in doubt, as all i can see is just nice words

definitely a personal thing i guess ^^
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    obsidian at least had the decency to have a video, which puts them at the position where double-fine was at: people can decide depending on what they think of the company and previous titles.

I think it's the belief that kickstarter has to net you a GOOD game, I haven't been under any illusion that obsidian will create a 10/10 rpg, but I know they'll be able to create an rpg, bad or not.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTBvpd3_Vqk"]Elite: Dangerous - procedural generation - YouTube[/ame]

3rd update with vid on procedural generation
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Now this puts focus on why this is a different beast from star citizen.

<3 procedural generation!
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Fuck. Those clouds. :O
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's ugly. Infinity looked quite a lot better than this back in 2008 (whatever happened to that project :(? )
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I really hope that they don't only procedural generate a galaxy, but something to go in it too, something akin to the way dwarf fortress creates and destroys civilizations.

So we can visit a star system and find its controlled by a hostile species, or maybe a cartel has expanded throughout another system. rather than what we found in frontier, where a few hundred systems had life, then nothing at all in the rest of the galaxy. Im sure you get what i mean.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Space engine is a nice example of what could be done for the actual play area
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I have a feeling they rushed to Kickstarter once they saw Star Citizen...a single video and a bunch of concept pieces feels really undercooked and kind of disrespectful of their own brand.

The way they sold Star Citizen to the public suggests the developers are really passionate about their game, where as Elite is all... "Hey guys, well yeah we like this game we made and want to make it again."

Captain inspiration he is not.... :|

Good luck to them though.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Malus wrote: »
    I have a feeling they rushed to Kickstarter once they saw Star Citizen...a single video and a bunch of concept pieces feels really undercooked and kind of disrespectful of their own brand.

Again though: star citizen is more comparable to freelancer, it's not going to have space to planet interaction or an entire galaxy, and it doesn't have to, it's not trying to be elite.

They're two different branches on the same tree.

Having stuff like gas-giants with an atmosphere shows that they're intending to go even further down the route that elite 2 started with.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    eld wrote: »
    Again though: star citizen is more comparable to freelancer, it's not going to have space to planet interaction or an entire galaxy, and it doesn't have to, it's not trying to be elite.

They're two different branches on the same tree.

Having stuff like gas-giants with an atmosphere shows that they're intending to go even further down the route that elite 2 started with.

I think you missed my point.

If you compare the method of inspiring people to fund the 2 projects -- Star Citizen is doing it bloody well, Elite is lack lustre...bordering on amateur.
    All I see is a brand being trotted out with little to no proof of concept.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Malus wrote: »
    I think you missed my point.

If you compare the method of inspiring people to fund the 2 projects -- Star Citizen is doing it bloody well, Elite is lack lustre...bordering on amateur.
    All I see is a brand being trotted out with little to no proof of concept.

Starcitizen has been beating every other major project on that though, doublefine adventure, wasteland2, project eternity, all these are projects with nothing to show until after the kickstarters finished. Just videos and grand words.

It's been the most complete pitch-video with an actual game to show with it, this is rare in kickstarters, and it's not even a must with kickstarters when we see the trend.

The Elite 4 kickstarter got off to a terrible start as even I mentioned, with NO video and just text, one was added later though and updates have been promising, so I really don't see this one as being any worse or better than other kickstarters, they want to do that space-game no one is doing and that's the space-game I want.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    A new video is up :) at 2.35, Take my money!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbqyRzRXkRs&amp;feature=related&quot;]Elite Dangerous - Kickstarter Trailer HD - YouTube[/ame]
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    That's the first video they released.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've pledged to both SC and Elite, I do agree that the Elite kick starter campaign is very amateur, I've been hoping since I saw the kickstarter that they would get thir act together but its getting more and more apparent that they just decided to plop it on kickstarter without much planning or after thought. Still i hope that they will step up and give the kickstarter campaign the polish it deserves. They only need to look at SC to see what works...
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still no real game footage, that video is just some concept art and a little about some 3d work :/
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know its pathetic to be honest, Im close to pulling my pledge at this moment, the only updates we get are the creator answering questions in the comments. No structure whatsoever.. very disappointing..
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Now i actually like the idea. I just love anything space and sci-fi related. Though i did get this wierd feeling after that last vid. and seeing the screens behind him + concepart of EvE meets Black Prophecy and it got a baby. Like it's those two games sorta combined and replaced the stations with planets. Is this just me or are there others that feel this way? If they would show something real in the future and i mean some pre-alpha stage gameplay or whatever but something that shows how the production is going and a bit of the quality level i'd consider backing.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this a five minute video of a camera rotating through the same asteroids following another ship? 0_o
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I know,in thier defence they have stated that they are building thier own engine, so its somewhat working with multiplayer, and the kickstarter is to develop the game not finish it so to have something like this is good to see. The other question I had was I wonder if the asteroid field is procedurally generated..
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think the video demonstrates multiplayer at all - however the asteroid field is probably procedurally generated.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    ambershee wrote: »
    I don't think the video demonstrates multiplayer at all - however the asteroid field is probably procedurally generated.

I can tell your as impressed as I am...

I really want to like this but they're really fluffing it.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKD1ap5hsI&quot;]DevelopmentDiary The Galaxy and How it Evolves over Time04 - YouTube[/ame]

The guy is a doofus.. terrible marketing..

the KS hit 50%..

I love the comments page.. its got this ecosystem of mostly british spacesim geeks... so amusing..
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gMbLjUjs1w[/ame]

another video 700k on KS now.. 24 days to go ....
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i dunno... i just don't seem to be able to get excited about this. i really want to, but i just... can't =/
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    @almighty_gir, probably because they haven't shown anything amazing. Show me the galaxy you can play in, generate one. Do something, but a big ship firing on a small one, fighting one person amongst asteroids, not too impressive.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you know i think that's probably it, man.

i played, Frontier: Elite, for so long in my childhood... i played it on a DOS/Windows 3.2 based pc.

but nothing that i've seen so far comes close to showing what they used to have... i don't really care about state of the art graphics or anything, that's not what the game is about (to me), but they're absolutely not capitalizing on the advertisment of what should be their biggest selling point.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    900,000 plus.. should hit the target.. they are updating more often now too..
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Meh, doesn't look very exciting at all. Generic sci-fi space game... :/
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I'm super excited about this. The only caveat, for me, is I'm not too happy with bigger names using Kickstarter. But that's another thread.

You guys all know that they're not showing a finished game, here. This is obviously a very narrow vertical slice of a tech demo they're putting together at the very start of the project, both for the proving of their initial ideas, as well as being something to entice potential pledgers.

Not sure if everyone here is aware of the legacy of Elite (Generic sci-fi space game? It's the sci-fi space game. The original), but if you added multiplayer to the X series of space games, I think that's pretty close to what this'll be, with more open-worldy (universy) stuff.

The idea of that game gives me a joystick in my pants, if you know what I'm sayin'.
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agree, theres alot of negative nellies around with this project and I have to admit Ive been one of them at times, the start of the KS campaign was bloody awful.

I loved X and I cant wait for this, I only played Frontier briefly all those years ago and for ages it was one of those games that I always wanted to sit down and play properly.. I hope they dont cock it up so I can play the new one.