Home General Discussion

Source 2!

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
http://beefjack.com/news/gabe-newell-confirms-source-engine-2-and-half-life-3-development/

Hope it's true and the tools are updated as well, as we all know there could be an improvement in that area.

Maybe we'll see HL3 sometime soon?

Any thoughts on were they'd take the engine? Hope for a more unified lighting system and I can see them pushing their facial tech more.

Replies

• Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Five bucks says they're actually developing a sequel to Ricochet and this is just a massive troll.
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    if It was on a new engine I wouldn't care in the slightest.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    Well, looks like the Black Mesa team has got its work cut out for the HL2 remake.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Knowing Valve, it won't be called Source2, it will be called Quantum Source Engine, where people get to play with some really awesome Physics seesaw games.
  • CrazyMatt
    All I know is that it will be awesome, and QC's will be left behind for GOOD! :)
  • Farfarer
    Can't wait. Loved Source when it came out but developing for it was always a contrived, protracted process.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Wonder if it's gonna be in opengl now there pushing strong focus on linux.
  • Visceral
    Why would Gabe go out several times and announce NO HL3 or even Half Life 2: ep 3
    And then secretly work on it? Publicity stunt? To me it dosnt make sense i remember a quote from him, cant find it however but it states that they wont make a game if they dont have a story to tell just for the reason of a sequel. I totally agree with that even though im a massive fan of Half Life i would want to see a Half Life ep 3 (just to finish the story) but i dont need a HL3.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think he didn't say it was never in the works, just never admitted it. I think we see now why they didn't announce it, as they were working on the new engine.
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Is it bad that I hope ricochet 2 is actually ricochet 2?
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    think of it from there point of a view, they really got no benefit to confirm that they are working on it, even if they are.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    think of it from there point of a view, they really got no benefit to confirm that they are working on it, even if they are.
    Truer words have never been spoken, especially since Valve is it's own boss, and doesn't have (from what I assume) greedy private people in the background who use internet hype as a means of gauging who much money they will rake in.
  • Calabi
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    passerby wrote: »

Why is there no benefit?

Why is all this secrecy neccesary, these are games not weapons of mass destruction. I cant see any good reason for the secrecy except for that they like it that way.
  • JamesWild
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Truer words have never been spoken, especially since Valve is it's own boss, and doesn't have (from what I assume) greedy private people in the background who use internet hype as a means of gauging who much money they will rake in.

See, now I wonder about this. Presumably they have laywers and people managing payroll and so on. And some "ambassador" who talks to the many companies who sell their games through Steam.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild wrote: »
    See, now I wonder about this. Presumably they have laywers and people managing payroll and so on. And some "ambassador" who talks to the many companies who sell their games through Steam.
    True, but what I mean in my previous post is that Valve makes and scrap as they see fit their own projects, without using the internet as a means of scale to see if a project will succeed and how they must change it, or they don't come out (like some people do, and we all know who they are), touting their flagship as the next best thing since sliced bread and follow suite with drama in it.
    Why is there no benefit?

Why is all this secrecy neccesary, these are games not weapons of mass destruction. I cant see any good reason for the secrecy except for that they like it that way.
    I said this exact same line in the ddo thread, but you have to remember there is a large difference between keeping stuff secret and all while being annoying about and slapping people with all kinds of documents to keep them quite, vs. keeping stuff secret not because it's secret, but because honestly, there is no point to making it public.

Not telling people you're making game X makes sense because you don't want to keep people on a schedule, telling people you are about to make or release game X puts you on a table of 1-4 years of dev-time, after that people start calling your game vaporware, and it can get nasty down the line, especially with mutiple parties involved, from fans, to supporters to people in the team who want to move on.

On the other hand, having a studio force you to sign a document telling you will get no health benefits, you can't talk even with your gran-gran about the game, or that any artwork you make, you cannot be credited to it should you get fired later on the down the line (maybe 6 years later you can show the artwork you made), all while they will slap your hands if you sometimes talk about generic stuff (example; some studios think they actually invented Blurred Cubemaps).

Mind you, I'm a little drugged up by cough medicine, so take what I say with a hint of salt, but the end gist talk here is basically, studios don't threat games as super-secret projects, it's the way they threat their internal studio's in such a manner that forces this attitude out of people in general.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    has anybody considered that valve does this secrecy/fake-leak thing for fun? I think it would be fun. And yeah - i'm with Ace - Not letting on at what is being worked on allows them to work on whatever they see fit and take as long as is necessary to do it right - something that Valve is in a unique position to do, where most other companies have to behave in a more predictable fashion.
  • Pix
    Ricochet is actually joke code name for Half-Life 3, so my hopes up, few years onward though.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    While Valve certainly loves their ARGs they've publicly stated more than a few times that they will no longer talk about whats in development until they feel they have something to talk about. Which is often their response to HL3 questions.
    Now weather or not that's detrimental to the series at this point is certainly open for debate.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    the fact that it's still up for debate after this much time and with so little from Valve's end closes the debate imho. How many games are so anticipated without news of actual development for so long? I can't think of any. occasionally word will get out or a leak will spread, or a troll will prop up a story that get's x amount of people talking about x forgotten game and it's potential sequel for a month or two, but people have been complaining about a general lack of HL3 for years. and on a fairly regular basis.
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    Ace and reverendk hit my point on the nose, announcing dev on games just doesn't suit valves development style, people at valve work on the projects and teams they want to work on and are not assigned, and they take the when it;s done approach over tight deadlines, since they don't got a publisher riding there ass's

if the announce dev, than they got the public and gaming press rideing there asses asking 24/7 for when it will be done.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    If memory serves HL2 was the same story - rumors and debates until they dropped it on E3 and blew everybody's brain-pan. Why does anybody expect them to behave differently now?