Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3d Head Model: Ma Face

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
Been working on a base mesh to take into zbrush of my head for a week or two now and think the topology is about ready, theres a few uneven densities around the ears where they have been connected on but apart from that i think it flows fairly well and has a reasonable likeness to me ( my reference)

Reference:

facerefRulers_zps93eb24ec.jpg
Model No Hair planes:
Wireframe1copy.jpg

Model With Hair planes:
Wireframewithhair1copy.jpg
SHinydarkrenderfront.jpg
C&C Welcome,

Many thanks,
Anthricus

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Your topology flow seems alright, but try retaking your reference photo. Try to use a zoom lense from far away, to minimize perspective distortion. Idealy, you'll be able to clearly see your ears, and it should make your nose smaller and face more square. This way you can model with a low POV or even in non-perspective.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    I've been thinking of this for a long time myself. Im probably going to do it sooner or later, but its nice to see others also taking this task on :D

youre doing great so far as far as i can see..
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Like ysalex said I think you might have some lens warping going on.

This is the difference you will see with using a proper lens.
    clip_image0036.jpg

You can see the right picture is much more natural while the left one is warping around the face similar to your pictures. If you don't have access to a fancy camera then try taking your pictures from further back and using the highest zoom the camera has, not digital zoom though.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like im going to have to find a freind with a nice camera and bribe them into letting me use it :D
    Is there anyway of getting around the distortion? ( photo manipulation ?)
    the camera i used was digital and unfortunately is the only one i have available too me at the moment ,

Im going to try and use photos to texture so i probably need a few decent shots with a nicer camera , il ask my friends who are on a film course if they can hire one out for me

Thanks for the crits guys,
    Keep them coming there much appreciated!
    Anthricus
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    As they said. Stand far away and zoom in as much as possible. The further in you zoom the less distortion you get.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only optical zoom will work though right? i think my camera has that and it has a fairly decent level of detail on it too il try later tonight after work :D
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few more references tried fixing the skews with lens correction tools as i couldnt find any exernal cameras too use , started sculpting and done some self analysis
    C&C welcome guys
    SculptAnalysis1-1.jpg
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    further developments and analysis too , changed material as its kinda hard to see the shading properly in the red wax material,
    C & C welcome

SculptAnalysis2.jpg

Bit of work around the ears to be made and trying to inset the bridge of the nose a bit further too :D
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    15novemsculptprog.jpg
    Bit of further progress on the head now i think its looking fairly realistic cant really see anywhere to improove it but its probably because ive been looking at it for so long :P

Need to put some alpha skin pores and lip cracks on it but not sure what else it needs!

C&C welcome
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpt24thnov.jpg

About there on the sculpt i think,
    Ive got some pores on a seperate layer that i will turn on and show later but i think its looking fairly lifelike now :)

C&C welcome
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    You're really missing the depth of your face.
  • fish4brains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're doing great, I'm seeing a few little things though - I think the eye socket area needs to be pushed back a little more and/or the brow ridge needs to protrude more just to make that depth of the eye socket more pronounced. I also think that the brow ridges may need to be a little more arched to match the shape of your eyebrows on the reference. From a perspective view the corners of your lips look a little fuller on your sculpt than on your reference.

If you have a little mirror that you can put on your desk while you sculpt then you might find it useful to use this as a guide (but remember it's a mirror image of your face and you'll need to mentally flip what you see).

Keep up the good work :)
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to fix the sculpt and now textured in zapplink and taken to engine ! :) thanks for all the crits guys
    zbrushTexProgresscopy.jpg

UDK (lighting neeeds to be fixed a bit
    Highres_Screenshot_00000-1.jpg
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    Press 'P' to put your viewport in perspective mode. If you've been sculpting in Orthographic mode this whole time, that might be why your sculpt is lacking depth.
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All in perspective looking much better guys dont know how i got his far through without doing that haha :P cheers KyleJensen
    Sculpt34.jpg

34sculpttex2.jpg
  • Anthricus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Submitted images coming up guys didnt manage to get any SSS on it but thats always something to play around with in the future. C&C welcome!!
    Highres_Screenshot_00000-3.jpg