Home Technical Talk

How to approach spec map for texturing in zbrush?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
I am working on a large creature model which I will be mostly polypaiting in zbrush, and a few small things in photoshop. However I have no idea how to approach the spec map in that case. I have a lot of materials I have to define so I was wondering how most people would approach the spec map with this workflow.

Edit, up until now I have been doing pretty much everything in photoshop and creating the spec map along with my diffuse as I add on different layers. So I am kind of confused on how to go about doing it with poly painting.

Replies

• Butthair
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Butthair polycounter lvl 11
    If I understand you correctly, you want to create a spec map that looks correct for a creature? Depending on the surface, whether it's glossy, matte, sub surface, transparent, etc.

For example, fur is commonly dull or diffuse. Something like a lizard man would be shinier and need extra manipulation from the diffuse or a custom made specular.

You have your choices of zbrush and photoshoppe and any other programs, it's up to you. It might be easier to hand paint one or just desaturate and tweak the diffuse/color.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    The layers in Zbrush 4 and up now support polypaint, so you can just create a layer specifically for your polypainting diffuse, spec etc. Not as flexible as photoshop, but gives you something similar atleast.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The layers in Zbrush 4 and up now support polypaint, so you can just create a layer specifically for your polypainting diffuse, spec etc. Not as flexible as photoshop, but gives you something similar atleast.

Ohhh did not know that. I think that would probably work. Although I have never hand panted a spec map before so it should be a fun experiment lol.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    You could do it in photoshop by isolating each area and blocking in values from black to white. Then you could overlay your whole diffuse texture(Given that it has texture properties) and grayscale it then play with it's levels. Invert particular ones where needed. This way you can adjust the strength of each piece in your UVmap by just changing the tone you blocked in.