Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DOTA2] - Pudge - "Ro'sies keeper" set.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
FINISHED!!

orqhld.jpg

Evening all,

I've decided to create a new thread for the revised character (with additional story).

You can find my old thread here:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107326

Initial thumbnails

2sagqjc.jpg

Speaking to one of the concept artists at work, he suggested that instead of thinking of the kit as a means of protecting himself against other heroes, think of it as protecting himself from a creature he himself is guarding (such as a vicious beast).

After taking this into consideration, I decided to take this approach and create a lore surrounding this idea. In this scenario, Pudge is the guardian of this dragon (who he has "fondly" called Ro'sie"). The armour and weapons aren't just used to attack and strip his victims of meat, they are used as a defence against Ro'sie so that he can get close to her without being torn apart. I felt that due to the semi-comical look of the character, this light hearted approach (the relationship between Pudge and his dragon) would be a better approach then trying to force his existing lore into something that might not be as interesting to approach. Here is the current sculpt.

2s112ts.jpg

I will be taking a look into the weapons tomorrow, I already have some ideas (the 5th hook silhouette playing a major part in them :))

A special thank you to the concept guys at work (John McCambridge, Neil Richards and Yann Blomquist) as well as Darren Bartley (fightpunch) for helping me push this character past its original design and into this new interpretation.

Replies

• agentfx
    damn baj you're knocking this $%^* out! It's good to be a character modeler ;) I like that you took the design further away from just executioner. Looking good. (Altho I still want you to make the samurai set also :D )
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    sezy, go go texture time screw that, edit:bull (oopsy) helmet for the win! :)
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Just some weapon silhouette exploration before I take a crack at them. Using this as an outlet to get as many different ideas down as possible so I can evaluate what shapes would complement the characters silhouette best.

e6aqgm.jpg
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Oh dammm the last one was awesome but this just blows that out of the water! Awesome stuff mate!
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hot diggedy damn that sculpt! Nice thumbnails also. Just got to say my opinion, it really does not look that good. I think it looks like something that has been placed there and doesn't occur natural too me. But otheris a lovely concept and nice execution!
  • EVIL
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ehhhh yeah.. freaking awesome!
    none of the weapon designs do it for me at the moment, I would like to see some large roughly sharpened cleaver.
  • marul
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    It may be just me but I don't see Pudge as a warrior, so that's too much armor for me. Your sculpts are great btw.
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to mention about the weapon concepts that I dig the first 4 in the 2nd row and above the 5th 1 in 1st.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback :). Been a busy day today so not a whole lot of time spent on the character. Managed to take some of the weapon thumbs into the game to see how well the overall style of the thumbs fits the character.

r88fwm.jpg
    It may be just me but I don't see Pudge as a warrior, so that's too much armor for me. Your sculpts are great btw.

I was thinking about the armour issue after you mentioned it, particularly on the left arm (i.e. whether it was necessary there).

Here is a comparison

24g7l8j.jpg

By removing the armour I get more resolution and polys to play with on the left arm. As a side effect, it may appear a bit too lacking, upsetting the balance between the right and the left arms. I will start making the low poly tomorrow and come up with a decision then....
  • KaiserKloud
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserKloud polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice work! I can't wait for see the textured version U_U
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I think im going to go half way with the left arm protection. Removed the armour from the hand but to keep the silhouette interesting im going to keep the armour on the shoulder to help balance out the detail between both arms.

Now I think its low poly time :)

27zw2dy.jpg
  • Pina
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    Good decision on the shoulder.
    Will the key dangle from his belt as well as the small chain on the right arm?
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Good decision on the shoulder.
    Will the key dangle from his belt as well as the small chain on the right arm?

Just the belt as I don't think there are any bones to support dangling objects around that area (which is why I removed some chain links from that area already).
  • fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along nice Baj you Beauty!
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got this down to lod0 (lod1 is going to be fun :)) and now just trying to come up with the initial colour scheme.

sdzes0.jpg

25ismxz.jpg
  • danidem
    Offline / Send Message
    danidem polycounter lvl 11
    That's looking really neat! I like the 3rd and last color version :)
  • Pemaktitkis
    Offline / Send Message
    Pemaktitkis polycounter lvl 7
    i think the second version is the best
  • Okoo
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    25ismxz.jpg

yep, red version is the best imo and it keeps the colour scheme. The grey version is nice too but a bit too dark for pudge =)

You are awesome ;)
  • Skiffy
    Offline / Send Message
    Skiffy polycounter lvl 15
    This one has some cool story to go with it. I like it.
    Cool armor design to go with it as well.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Wow looking really good! I also like the red version but make sure to get them value separations nice and clear :)
  • Farfarer
    Loving this set, such chunky shapes :D

I'd like to see a little bevel on the inner edging of his armor. Feels like you're losing that nice chunky outline when baking down to normal map - it's only just visible in the AO.
  • Tamarin
    Offline / Send Message
    Tamarin polycounter lvl 17
    The new arm with claw marks came out great! nice one.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everybody
    I'd like to see a little bevel on the inner edging of his armor. Feels like you're losing that nice chunky outline when baking down to normal map - it's only just visible in the AO.

Unfortunately, the polycount is tiny and I can't really afford to pull polys out anywhere else. Still got to do LOD1 :|.

Just a quick update, attempting to test some of this stuff in game (Playing around with the masks for some of the weapons).

Some Q's. the red glow on the axe, is that due to the Rim value as it looks a lot better on the shot to the right than in the portrait view.

Also, can you view multiple assets at the same time within the client...andddddddd how have people gone about testing their masks without having to constantly insert stuff into the client....Is there a model viewer floating around? (EDIT: It seems there is only the Alien Swarm one around and its a bit of a faff to set up, I guess i'll stick to the client...)

Cheers.
    2yl6a8g.jpg
  • P4X6
    very nice, I like it
  • BrontoThunder
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    First things first; looking great :D!

Red glow on the axe: You're correct, that's the rim value (Mask2_Green). It looks like it's picking up each individual spike which is why it looks a bit messy with red. The in-game looks great though.

You can test multiple items in-game at once but there's a whole lot of compiling and stuff you need to do; check a few pages back in the http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100016&page=101]Dota 2 Workshop Thread it was discussed there.

There's no official Dota 2 SDK yet but the Alien Swarm SDK seems to work with some people and if you're using Maya then in that same thread I linked someone's created a custom shader that, while imperfect, does mimic the Dota 2 shader.

Hope that helped!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    yea Baj client only sadly. But I got used to It after continuously editing so shouldn't take long for you to get into It as well.

No only one object at a time only once you submit your set can you see them together from what I have read anyway, sucks big time i know.

Also heard they don't want to release anything relating to the shader because they are working on other titles that will utilize that shader or a variant of it, so stuck with client on all fronts but, they could make the client better to preview pieces by probably just adding a [+] sign at the import/compiler screen and we would all be happier. :) Though I don't think anyone has suggested that yet to them, so anyone reading this pass them that info.

Looking good man, go go go!
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    I pick bottom right. It pops the most with its cool hues. Looking good
  • Farfarer
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the polycount is tiny and I can't really afford to pull polys out anywhere else. Still got to do LOD1 :|.
    Oh, I meant on the sculpt, so it could be baked out to the normal map :P
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, if I had the chance again and did something this low poly then I would have used more of a diagonal edge on the armour pieces to get more detail in the normal map (D'oh :)).

Cheers for the help regarding the client and model viewers. Hopefully when the SDK come out it will be quicker to view updates on things like masks.

Some texturing (flat textured in Max). Just balancing out the details. Will move onto skinning and LOD1 now before going back to the textures to give them another look (or a proper second pass).

25qu1s8.jpg

Isometric:

2hogpbb.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy stuff, yea the masks will help you out a lot, right now the reds and grey/gray's are getting lost in the iso view as well as the spiky bits. I'd also say that the handle on the axe should be darker nearest the top a deep grey/gray with the same highlight wouldn't look bad and might help the axe/blade part stand out more. :)

The bloody parts don't mix in well with the red on the armor the two reds get lost I know this is just a rough but I might as well critic what's shown so perhaps it might be something you can think about when going through the 2nd/proper pass.

I like the update never the less glad to see it coming along.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Sinz,

The contrasting issues are definitely something I have to look into as im hoping that once the lighting system and spec maps are active then this may do a lot of the work for me.

Changes are i'll be getting rid of the red trim completely and instead going for a darker (slightly tinted grey). Right now, its very hard to distinguish between the blood and the red metal areas and I think changing those parts completely will help massively (in a way going back to variation 4 of the colour schemes on the previous page).

My major regret is not having the polycount available on the pauldrons/belt/sacks (700 for LOD0, 400 for LOD1) to be able to get more definition in the silhouette.
  • fightpunch
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Darkeneing the bottom half of his belly (with destaurated blood stains maybe) would help pop his upper torso more too Baj. And yeah good call killing the red trim. Looking swell otherwise!

Quick paintover to show the belly thing.

1353083175.jpg
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Daz, unfortunately we aren't allowed to modify the game mesh at all only the armour so thats a no-go but the shot previous was flat lit so hopefully the game lighting will compensate.

Done some texture and spec updates (using Marmoset to test). I've messed with the settings so that I have a similar result to what I can expect to achieve in game (Seems to be a lot of spec on the pudge in game).

Will be loading these into game soon for final submission.

oucef6.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    Armor matches his pants, good one. :)

Looks great that's marmoset?
    Did you see ace-angles 3dsmax dota shader in technical section? might help a bit didn't test it yet myself.

You'll get a bunch of thumbs up for this once you send it on in.

Nice work, I like it.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great that's marmoset?
    Did you see ace-angles 3dsmax dota shader in technical section? might help a bit didn't test it yet myself.

Hey, aye I took the spec maps from the existing in-game mesh and copied them over from the R channel to the RGB channel and loaded them into Marmoset. Once I did that, I played with the spec settings to try and match the in-game view and then created all my other spec maps to try and match the existing ones.

Marmoset allows colour spec maps so I used colour in a lot of areas (particularly the blue metal and the blood) however this will be converted to the tint channel for the in-game client. To help ensure that my spec levels remain constant, I used the following Photoshop function (Thanks to one of the concept guys at work who showed me this).

2rgdt9d.jpg

Turning this on and off allowed me to test the specular levels easily without directly affecting the colour.

I saw Ace's DOTAS shader, it looked quite intersting so I may give it a look at some point.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished!! (Technically finished weeks ago but i've had nothing but trouble uploading it and finally managed it today!!).

orqhld.jpg

Good luck to everybody else.

Workshop Collection
  • PoPcorn
    Brilliant.

Really dig this one.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Great looking set!
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work man!
  • demondance
    Well done... time to show up !!!
  • CamCrawfordNZ
    Did this make it in game? if now, why not. This thing is amazing!