Home General Discussion

Wreck It Ralph

Foe
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Foe polycounter lvl 5
Basic Topic:

Is this hitting home to gamers and industry professionals?? or is it a gimmick?
No spoilers

I have already seen it, I wonder if anyone else has already.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    what is this? i don't even...
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Haven't seen it yet. Would like to.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    haven't seen it - but heard it's easter-egg central. I liked the trailers though. have to try to find time to take the kids...
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    going to see it tonight, I'll give ya'll a spoiler free review when I return
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It was a 3 out of 4 star movie. I enjoyed it a lot! The game refs kinda stop after the first 1/3.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Oh yea, also the short, Paperman, which played before the movie was so fucking good it was almost worth the price of admission.
  • elementrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elementrix polycounter lvl 15
    Paperman is the only reason I want to see this movie xD
  • Foe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    Paperman was ridiculously well done as a proof of concept Short Film, Its only a matter of time until they use this rendering technique in another Disney movie
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Oh man I've been looking forward to paperman! That tech looked crazy! Now I'm convinced to see it.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Saw it twice already.
    Paperman was beautiful, and I hope they make a full feature film with that tech.

Wreck it Ralph was just stellar. The story was so tight, there were no loose ends, and the visuals were just amazing. I loved the characters to death, every single one. I have to say this is my favorite film of this year thus far, by a long shot.
    My favorite character was Calhoun. She's so awesome.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Makkon wrote: »
    My favorite character was Calhoun. She's so awesome.

She's a dynamite gal.

I saw it tonight and loved it! The animation was great all around. My favorite was with all the tenants in Felix's apartment building, a perfect blend of choppy 8-bit and fluid 3D animation.

I liked how they drew from video game symbolism for Felix and Ralph's color schemes too. Fix It Felix(the good guy) was primarily blue and Ralph(the bad guy) was mostly red. You know, game archetype colors, blue is good and red is bad. EXCEPT Ralph had just a little bit of his BLUE undershirt showing. It was subtle but just helped sell that Ralph really was a GOOD guy underneath
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    saw this last night---it was pretty awesome. I'm with you Sukotto, that staccato effect was awesome. Without being spoilery, I just wish they'd spent more time wandering into more games.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I enjoyed it, but as Blankslatejoe said, I hoped more of the movies took place outside the racing game.
  • Foe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foe polycounter lvl 5
    I swear john lasseter has an obsession dealing with cars and that's how this movie came out to be, because they are studio heads I have a feeling that john had a particular influence on the movie.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    saw it today- worth seeing for sure. Animation direction was spot on. Story was good enough. Designs were super fun!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone catch the FF7 reference on the wall, and the Space invader ref, and the Street fighter 2 bad translation ref from ryu?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Disney are a pile of bastards, so it isn't out here for another five months :/
  • DeanoRoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah really looking forward to seeing this but its not out until February in the UK :(

Have you seen that they have released an iOS app that contains a full playable version of the fictional Fix it Felix Jnr game? I like this kind of marketing.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Definitely a great watch. The apartments tenants animation is spot on. Really well done. I agree with blankslatejoe and others I would have loved to see more of the arcade worlds. I really hope this is a franchise for Disney. I'd love to see a ride based on the IP at the themeparks.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    I wasn't sure about the movie, but went because my roommate wanted to go for his birthday. So glad I went, it was totally worth the time and admission.

And yes, Paperman was sooooo worth it.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The storyboarding in Paperman wasn't quite what I had hoped for. I felt it could have been improved in that respect. The visuals for the short were very impressive though. It took me a few seconds to realize that they were using 3D models. The shading techniques and animation they used were fantastic for emulating classic 2D Disney animation. And the story the short told was quite endearing, if just a touch sacharine. Props to the animators for forgoing spoken dialog, that was a really good choice. A solid effort all around, and well worth watching, especially for the visuals.

Wreck-It-Ralph itself was also a pleasant surprise. The video game gags were kept considerably more subtle than I had been expecting. For every gag that they paraded in front of the camera, there were four or five that were just strewn around the backgrounds. Classic video game aficionados will want to pick up the DVD or Blu-Ray when it comes out and check individual frames for humorous references. The voice work, characterizations, and writing were all top-notch. Even a lot of the "themes" that the film touched on were easy for me to get behind.

I am slightly biased, as this movie might as well have been targeted directly at me. At the same time, I would say it is a very competent animated feature with extremely likable characters. Older audiences will appreciate a lot of the classic arcade call-outs, while there is plenty of color and "younger" humor to appeal to the kids as well. Definitely a good film to take the kids to.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with others that I wished the movie took more time to explore other games. I laughed when I saw the Metal Gear Solid reference.
    I thought that when he was looking for the medal there would be a montage of games that he'd attempt and finally land on Hero's Duty. So I think his medal acquisition was a little too quick
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    aesir wrote: »
    It was a 3 out of 4 star movie. I enjoyed it a lot! The game refs kinda stop after the first 1/3.

where fifth star gone?
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    where fifth star gone?

Most movie reviews are on a 4 star scale. At least in the US.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    hope to see this soon, been waiting, didn't read this thread cause of possible spoilers. ;)
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    saw it today :) For me THE movie of 2012. I grew up with games like Tapper - all in it's CGA glory on my dad's IBM PC XT. I loved all the small details - the jerky movements of the 8-bit characters, the pixelated dirt on the character's clothing all the way to the 8-bit/16-bit hommage credits. I'm so waiting for the Blu-ray of this! If you grew up in the 80's and 90's with arcades and the early home computers up to the PC era then you'll just love this!

btw it's not out yet in the UK, seriously? The have it here in commie China, 3D and with Chinese subtitles and all.... I'm disappointed. Anyway, go and see it when it comes out.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Kwramm wrote: »
    btw it's not out yet in the UK, seriously?

15th of February - we get it last with the notable exception of Japan. Every English speaking nation in the world will have it months before us and it'll be out on DVD before it hits the cinema. Disney does this to us with ALL their animated films.

It'll be out in Bulgarian, Icelandic, Italian, Lithuanian and all those other languages before it reaches us :/
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Freak awesome, I loved it definitely watching it again, great message for kids as well.
    They should make more just like it, so many possibilities and stories.