Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci Fi soldier - finished character

Heyo, I just got out of college with a good general education about modeling and game design, but I'm trying to train myself to be a character artist. I've done a few monsters and aliens but this is my first complete human character.

He's about 25k tris total including his gun and accessories. He was made in Maya and Zbrush and I've imported him into UDK. He has a simple skeleton but no real animations or anything.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

2me79fs.jpg
10y4ayg.jpg
211t8if.jpg
2z3ytm1.jpg
2psh8wj.jpg
30tmmf6.jpg

Replies

• JohnnyCrespo
    nice work on the armor. But can you close the character's mouth, im afraid lots of bugs will get in there and kill 'em.
  • Tanthias
    This is what he looks like with his mouth closed. I was trying to show off the teeth, I had never made a set of them before.

2m5xeh5.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, good work on this, I have a few pointers for you

the lighting looks very flat, you need to put in some lights to create a bit of atmosphere and lighting direction as well as some colour. currently he's very grey and flat

your texturing still needs a lot of work, there's nothing going on on most of the model. you need to add some lighting information, with AO and some subtle painted light and dark ares, add texture to define materials, and tweak specular levels etc to make the material look like the material you're trying to replicate. Here's a great tutorial you can look at to give you an idea of what to do, and you can download his model and texture to get an idea of how its all put together

http://www.marcusdublin.com/OutlanderModelPage.html

Finally, anatomy. get your base anatomy nailed down before adding all your armour etc. currently your guy has huge feet, and his side view is very stiff and straight, people tend to stand a bit less awkwardly

hope it helps