Home General Discussion

Windows 8

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sounds tiring if you have to work on a touch screen monitor all day long - what's the benefit anyway? you still need a mouse, unless everyone else, pixologic, autodesk, etc. make their UI finger friendly. Instead of wacom-mouse-keyboard it will be wacom-mouse-keyboard-touchscreen... yay
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    only reason i'd like a touch screen is for some sort of entertainment unit that any one could use. load it with some simple games, a nice media center and just have it as a coffee table type setup.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Now, a touch screen desktop monitor, nah, but a tablet:
    http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Cintiq/Cintiq24touch.aspx
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0fsyb-ttcw&feature=g-u-u"]Windows 8: It's Almost Not Terrible - YouTube[/ame]

Is there anyway to permanently disable Metro? Beacuse otherwise im not going to touch that with a 100ft pole.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Contrary to much of the naysaying I'm looking forward to W8. A new UI designed from scratch that's fully hardware accelerated and doesn't require developers write code to refresh the window with as little flicker as possible in non-Aero mode. A move towards managed languages for cross compatability with Windows Phone and the XBox 360 while discouraging the languages that make it easy to make unstable or insecure code.

It probably doesn't look that way from the "power user" level, but from the responsible developer's level and eventually the consumer level all the right decisions are being made.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    JamesWild wrote: »
    Contrary to much of the naysaying I'm looking forward to W8. A new UI designed from scratch that's fully hardware accelerated and doesn't require developers write code to refresh the window with as little flicker as possible in non-Aero mode. A move towards managed languages for cross compatability with Windows Phone and the XBox 360 while discouraging the languages that make it easy to make unstable or insecure code.

It probably doesn't look that way from the "power user" level, but from the responsible developer's level and eventually the consumer level all the right decisions are being made.

how so, from watching that video above your post, the UI likes dam slow to move across, and it seems even for simple things there are a few too many steps to do what you want.

What i think would be great, is if the whole metro vs the old windows UI thing, worked more like desktop environments on linux. where you can just install one that works well for you.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All it shows is that they're unfamiliar with it. "I need to click once more to get a full list of applications!" Or you could just type the name of what you're after... "The context menu is on the screen border now so it's further away!" Yes, 64x64 icons on the screen border will be considerably easier to hit than our existing 24px high context menus. I think context menus as they are, are a pain in the ass. How often do you slightly miss mousing over a submenu and it folds back three levels of menus leaving you to go trace your way back through? Things on the border of the screen are easier to hit. UI studies have shown that for years. That's why the taskbar works so well. I'd watch the rest but YouTube keeled over 3:40 in and won't play again even after a refresh. (thanks Google)

Ribbon was horrid, this is very much a step in the right direction.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    I think people hate anything Microsoft, actually no some of their stuff is a bit bad, but some of it is not that bad. People just seem to love to bash them. Things could still change quite a lot before release.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's true, but it's an imagine that MS crafted themselves. Had they treated people better in the past, people wouldn't be so negative about them all the time. They have a lot of work to repair their image, if they ever want to have dedicated users, like Apple does.

I can see that they are making an effort, and I actually applaud them for trying something new/innovative with Win8, but I don't think they are addressing user concerns, and I think they are taking too much of a leap with Win8. As I've stated before, I do like some of the elements, and as you said, maybe they'll change some things on the final release, but right now, there are too many negatives to consider it. As it stands now, they've taken away all customizable options, other than the ability to choose tiles. Navigation, on a PC, is very clunky and unintuitive. They should have had a metro desktop, with a taskbar at the bottom, as an in-between stage. The $40 price tag is very appealing though, and a step in the right direction, for an OS with a release so close to Win7.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r wrote: »
    I think people hate anything Microsoft, actually no some of their stuff is a bit bad, but some of it is not that bad. People just seem to love to bash them. Things could still change quite a lot before release.

kinda, i like some of there stuff, Visual studio pretty much any version of it is the best c++ IDE by a long shot, nothing comes close ot it especially the 2012 release.

i like windows 7 has it;s issues but it is there best OS.

the whole metro thing from the perspective of a desktop user who wants to work with mostly professional apps, i think is a huge mistake on MS and garbage.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BTW, do you guys realize that they are no longer allowed to call it Metro? They have informed developers to stop using that term. They were sued by some company in Europe, and lost.

http://thedroidguy.com/2012/08/microsoft-ditching-brand-name-metro/
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well since there is no other codename for it, lets go with the UI formally known as metro.

i still the "the UI formally known as metro" is rubbish for how i like to work on my computer.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r wrote: »

MS have been consecutively dumbing down the default windows setup for a few versions already
    while win7 was a great OS, I often feel that windows usability degraded quite a lot since windows xp days
    and to be fair, MS should have just copied the way mac os works in many regards, instead of pushing their own flop features (I loathe aero and UAC and metro and pen flicks (that can't be disabled by wacom drivers otherwise wacom won't get a driver certification))
    and I have no idea who is that idiot who pushed all that stuff in and how does apple manage to stay away from all that bloat
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikken wrote: »
    I loathe aero and UAC

You loathe hardware-accelerated window compositing and not handing over the keys to your entire machine for every program you run? UAC is only an issue if you're installing software every day or the developers of the software you use are doing it VERY wrong. If you've got UAC turned off everything from your web browser to your IM client can basically do whatever it wants to the whole system.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    the people here seems to be really silly. Don't you know you can disable the metroUI?¿

Have you ever installed the developer edition to try out windows 8?

BTW, windows 7 is "windows Vista me edition" with an uglier ultra glass interface.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You loathe hardware-accelerated window compositing and not handing over the keys to your entire machine for every program you run?
    no I loathe bloat bells and whistles that come with it.
    UAC is only an issue if you're installing software every day or the developers of the software you use are doing it VERY wrong.

no it was an issue every time I was accessing my external HDDs, there was a ton of read/write permissions fuckery and I had no idea what was causing it exactly for a long time.
    If you've got UAC turned off everything from your web browser to your IM client can basically do whatever it wants to the whole system.
    can you name any IM that can do whatever it wants to the whole system, I'm curious here
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no I loathe bloat bells and whistles that come with it.
    If you think letting the GPU handle layering up windows rather than making the CPU do it without vsync resulting in horrid trails, lag, tearing is "bloat"... ok. Glass, maybe, it doesn't run so good on my £200 laptop, but you can turn the glass off and it's still Aero and still better looking than Basic. Also, if you want bloat, how about programs having to respond to WM_PAINT and redraw themselves every time a window moves in front of them, eh?
    no it was an issue every time I was accessing my external HDDs, there was a ton of read/write permissions fuckery and I had no idea what was causing it exactly for a long time.
    I've got four HDDs. No problems. Configuration issue. In fact, a recently bought Samsung external HDD came with broken permissions. That's not a good reason to give every process on my user admin rights.
    can you name any IM that can do whatever it wants to the whole system, I'm curious here
    If you're running with UAC off every program has admin rights from the instant you run it.
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you think letting the GPU handle layering up windows rather than making the CPU do it without vsync resulting in horrid trails, lag, tearing is "bloat"... ok. Glass, maybe, it doesn't run so good on my £200 laptop, but you can turn the glass off and it's still Aero and still better looking than Basic.
    oh ok I probably just don't realize all the aero flawlessness since I keep windows xp emulated on my mac
    Also, if you want bloat, how about programs having to respond to WM_PAINT and redraw themselves every time a window moves in front of them, eh?
    wtf is this

I've got four HDDs. No problems. Configuration issue. In fact, a recently bought Samsung external HDD came with broken permissions.
    how does a HDD that you're supposed to format before using come with a broken permissions and why weesta/win 7 was the only OS that was giving me that permission crap

and why so many users are affected see https://www.google.com/search?&q=windows+UAC+external+HDD+permission

and what does this
    That's not a good reason to give every process on my user admin rights.
    and this
    If you're running with UAC off every program has admin rights from the instant you run it.
    do with a fact I've had a separate user account for painting/modelling apps only that didn't have admin rights but UAC still has been a useless piece of shit from ~user experience~ pov
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Fun-Fact: No matter what you do, GPU's have proven to outpace and outright be faster and more reliable then CPU's. So I'm not surprised that Win 8 is using GPU's for all the kludge work, because frankly, that the direction Processors should be taking too.

Also, next time someones debates something, I suggest they don't put in their post "WTF is this" without Googling it first, because that shows how ignorant they are about the subject matter at hand, and are limiting themselves to superficial bitching.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    metro and pen flicks (that can't be disabled by wacom drivers otherwise wacom won't get a driver certification))

I actually disabled this with no issues what so ever...
    Then dont turn it off fully... there are several stages of UAC. Anything that fuck's with registry's has to get my okay. Plugin's updates ect are automatic and if you don't trust the program in the first place why even try to install it?
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok I probably just don't realize all the aero flawlessness since I keep windows xp emulated on my mac

wtf is this

how does a HDD that you're supposed to format before using come with a broken permissions and why weesta/win 7 was the only OS that was giving me that permission crap

and why so many users are affected see https://www.google.com/search?&q=windows+UAC+external+HDD+permission

and what does this

and this

do with a fact I've had a separate user account for painting/modelling apps only that didn't have admin rights but UAC still has been a useless piece of shit from ~user experience~ pov

Without Aero, the display is basically a big bitmap. When you move a window, it does a copy on the CPU to move the parts of the bitmap around. This isn't a very good use of the CPU. Windows that are covered up in this process have to redraw their window after. (WM_PAINT message) This again takes up CPU time and if it can't do it quick enough you'll see a trail. If it can do it quick enough you'll see a tear because there's no vsync. Aero draws windows using polygons on the GPU. Mac OS X does this and has for a while as well.

If you formatted the HDD and it was still messed up permissions wise, well frankly I don't know. The Samsung HDD came with some junk on it that was protected by read only permissions but it hadn't been done properly and stopped you doing other things like renaming folders.

If you have UAC and a program tries to do something that needs admin permissions (such as ignoring the permissions on a local HDD) it'll ask you for an admin password or yes/no prompt if you are an admin. If you don't, it assumes you don't care about security because you turned UAC off and lets programs do whatever they like on an admin account at least.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you don't trust the program in the first place why even try to install it?

Why grant all programs permissions they don't need to function? If a program gets exploited, you want that contained. That's what permissions were designed for, all the way back in the early UNIX days.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Then back to my first point, don't turn it off fully.

I'm not following this argument very well, or if there should even be one?
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Without Aero, the display is basically a big bitmap. When you move a window, it does a copy on the CPU to move the parts of the bitmap around. This isn't a very good use of the CPU. Windows that are covered up in this process have to redraw their window after. (WM_PAINT message) This again takes up CPU time and if it can't do it quick enough you'll see a trail. If it can do it quick enough you'll see a tear because there's no vsync. Aero draws windows using polygons on the GPU. Mac OS X does this and has for a while as well.
    ok thanks.
    If you formatted the HDD and it was still messed up permissions wise, well frankly I don't know.
    I bought an external HDD to use with windows 7 desktop, formatted it and had a whole bunch of fuckery. the google link above shows that I'm not the only person experiencing it. same hdd has no issues both with wxp and mac os. how did this shit get past testing over the years.
    If you have UAC and a program tries to do something that needs admin permissions (such as ignoring the permissions on a local HDD) it'll ask you for an admin password or yes/no prompt if you are an admin.
    or it simply doesn't allow me to save files, create new folders out of graphic packages, rename or replace files and a whole bunch of similar crap without asking at all.
    If you don't, it assumes you don't care about security because you turned UAC off and lets programs do whatever they like on an admin account at least.
    I don't really like bloatware assuming something for me.

I actually disabled this with no issues what so ever...

according to wacom, windows 8 currently doesn't allow you disabling this crap & microsoft would not let wacom disable this by default. back to ~user experience~.
    and how many users have no idea what is happening and why those circles pop up here and there and why does their $ 500 intuos lag so much and why does ms push this stuff so agressively. not every tablet user is a pressed nerd to start with.
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Also, next time someones debates something, I suggest they don't put in their post "WTF is this" without Googling it first, because that shows how ignorant they are about the subject matter at hand, and are limiting themselves to superficial bitching.

god bless u, thx for lecture.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Why grant all programs permissions they don't need to function? If a program gets exploited, you want that contained. That's what permissions were designed for, all the way back in the early UNIX days.

I really had to laught when I read this. but Yes, you are absolutely right. But this is Windows. People write programs assuming that whoever runs them had admin rights - just look at Autodesk, Pixologic, whoever. Running your Windows box line a Unix box is just calling for unnecessary hassle, more so in a corporate 3D art environment - trust me on that, deploying scripts and plugins to 100s of people is a nightmare if you do Windows security "according to the book" because most apps don't play along with that.
    It's a shame, but welcome to the Windows world :(
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @so, true even if win8 had suppeior permissions to linux distros, it still wouldn't matters since no apps are written to take that into account, would prolly take 10 years of MS pushing for it all to happen.

vs with unix system, they have had strict permissions from the start, and everyone writing applications takes that into account.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it's true a lot of software was written in this fantasy world where giving everything access to everything was "ok". It's a pity earlier versions of Windows had to inherit this, but great that sloppy developers (i.e. developers who are sloppy with security, not that all or even many developers are sloppy) are finally getting a wake-up call.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    the people here seems to be really silly. Don't you know you can disable the metroUI?¿

Have you ever installed the developer edition to try out windows 8?

BTW, windows 7 is "windows Vista me edition" with an uglier ultra glass interface.

actually Vista was ME, that's why most IT departments held on to XP until 7 came out.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I suspect he's either trying to troll an argument, or he's never used Win7. That's why I didn't bother responding.
  • 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    I'm sorry if this is considered necro'ing an old thread but since I know a lot of you guys use 3ds max I thought this'd be a good place to ask, since I can't find a thing online.

I recently installed w8 rtm and I'm trying to use my intuos 4 to navigate. There's already enough crap going with not being able to disable certain effects etcetera but just like in W7 the right click menus don't work well in max. The menu shows up but you can't click any of the options.

I've tried to use the wisptis.exe trick, but lo and behond, there's no such file in sys32.

Do any of you have any experience with getting W8, Max and Wacoms work well together?

Thanks
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    "Yes, the ancient 2008 intuos4 drivers so far are working flawlessly on Win8, exactly like they do on Win7. Do NOT install any of the recent wacom drivers, they will poop in your salad"

http://forums.luxology.com/topic.aspx?f=35&t=68537

Not sure how much faith to put in that.
  • 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    Sadly that driver does not function for me as it doesn't support Intuos4. Using the earliest available driver for Intuos4 results in an unusable tablet for me.

Thanks though. I guess I'll wait for the official win8 drivers and hope for the best(trololowacomsupport)
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    So apart of all the UI talk, has anyone tried it daily? is it stable? I think some pages back someone reported a wacom driver issue?

I mean, I want to format my PC, should I install windows 7 or get windows 8? How are printers/tablets/3d max/games compability?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Personally, I'd just stick with 7. It's the new XP for now, I think. It's stable, works great.
    Haven't tried 8 yet, but everything I've seen about it makes me queasy.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Kwramm wrote: »
    AOL-VS-WINDOWS-8..jpeg

This!

Piece of shit, Microsoft annoys me so much sometimes. Not only XBox UI is downright horrible, games for windows live never works now they want to ruin Windows7 as well, which was possibly one of the best piece of software that Microsoft ever made.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Just wanted to add my Win8 experience so far, TC4400 convertibale laptop with built in wacom digitizer. So far flawless. Running sculptris, wings3d and photoshop on it.

OK one issue IE 10 sometimes locks up, but I was expecting new IE issue, so I installed chrome. Chrome + Win8 = good.

Also I ignore the start menu. I uninstalled most of the preinstalled apps and basically launch everything from my desktop quick launch
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think "Metro" would be find if it was a tiny widget that sat on your desktop and could be expanded. It would be there if you want to use it but not overpowering and annoying if you need to do something else. Forcing it is just going to turn off a lot of people. It suffers from an identity crisis and just makes the whole interface feel very schizophrenic when you have to switch between the old and new desktops.
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Mark, if you look at the functionality of "the interface formerlyknown as metro"it's just a full screen start menu that has more animations. Once I started thinkingof it like that it stopped annoying me so much. I barely use the start menu anyway.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man!! I am about to install two new rigs tomorrow (doing a small farm), I just purchased win8 without looking this thread! looks like I did a mistake!!!
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fyi wacom users, the annoying pen "improvements" of windows 8 can not currently be disabled, see here
    http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9594
    apparently registry changes that helped win 7 are currently not available for win 8
    might change in the final build however.

WTF!!!
  • AlexLeighton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm going to be outnumbered wherever I go but, I actually like the new metro or whatever they've decided to call it now. I'm still only running programs in desktop though.

That being said though, I don't really see any reason to upgrade unless you get it for free or very cheap. I know some people have claimed that performance is SOOO much better and they can boot their computer in 2 seconds.. I've had none of that, it's the same as 7.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    My performance was slightly more peppy in 8.

Mark, you read my mind... Like when you go to the bottom left corner of the screen where it shows the tiny metro popup preview... instead if you hold it there for a second or two it becomes a larger interactive preview (like 1/8 size of desktop) that you can start apps from versus having to go full screen.

I swear, some of those UI designers miss the "duh" moments.

Maze.. that was the preview edition. I think the full version allows disabling... Someone confirm/deny?
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Visceral wrote: »

Pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's not all bad, but there are some things that just do-not-translate well. Not to mention people HATE change, that message was abundantly clear with VISTA's reception.

It amazes me that some designers are still oblivious to the concept of over-simplification. Yes it's pretty, but I need to get some real work done. That's why I switched to a PC from a Mac.
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Equanim wrote: »
    Pretty much hits the nail on the head. It's not all bad, but there are some things that just do-not-translate well. Not to mention people HATE change, that message was abundantly clear with VISTA's reception.

It amazes me that some designers are still oblivious to the concept of over-simplification. Yes it's pretty, but I need to get some real work done. That's why I switched to a PC from a Mac.
    You say that but Vista did suck and almost everyone responded well to windows 7.
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    Gonna throw my 2 cents in so far.

Pros
    -Windows 8 runs much faster on my rig than 7.
    -It recognizes devices better and boots them faster(my bluetooth keyboard's input ---registers much faster at startup)
    -Max(2012), Photosohp(cs6),Zbrush they all work fine
    -less cluttered desktop

I think the biggest benefit of the windows 8 os is going to be the organizational benefits. I can keep all of my important programs on the desktop, and tuck away other stuff in the new start menu(metro). Also, some of the "apps" available for windows 8 for things like social media, radio, and so on, can help keep distractions self contained. Social media, music, movies, etc. can be self contained to their apps, and your desktop space can be isolated for work related stuff only.
    Example. I'm sure pretty much every polycounter that spends lengthy sessions at the computer jams to music while modeling, painting, zbrushing, etc. Instead of having windows media player minimized, or up on another monitor, you can keep it contained in the win8 app. It stays out of your workspace, and if you need to access, you can alt tab, or windows key to it.

The most annoyting thing is definitely getting to system tools(control panel and stuff like that). A simple, painless, solution is just create a folder with shortcuts for them on the desktop or pin them to metro(metro already has them in it, but you have to "show all apps" to see them). Its really not that awful after you do that.

To sum it up. I think this is a positive change for windows. You can still have all of the functionality that you liked about windows 7, but you have the benefits of the new apps interface now. Apps streamline ease of use and speed for certain activities. Apps will increase productivity in certain areas. They also will bring new possiblities of interactivity with mobile devices. Overall I would say this is a step forward. I also cant wait to get my hand on the windows surface pro(windows surface rt is a rip off imho).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    There's something that totally eludes me - are people actually happy with ... more crap to deal with ? As power users I would think that the less background noise the better. For us the computer is a tool, not a fancy toy with blinking lights ....

I found this video very telling.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxmIsv88xO4&feature=related

In many ways she is a power user : she just wants to login, check her email and surf the web - efficient stuff. Just like us just wanting to fire up Photoshop and Max.

The amount of things getting in the way is crazy ! What the hell haha. Change can be a good thing, but certainly not if it means that more unwanted information is getting thrown at the user. That thing doesn't seem elegant nor efficient.

It also seems like the team who implemented Metro for the desktop environment forgot that the mouse is a pointing device made to click on something that the user makes eye contact with - and not some sort of magic wand to shake all over the place to magically make things happen. This is so weird.

Pass!

On a side note : I would actually claim that the old AOL tile design is actually better than the Metro one in the sense that it put emphasis on text rather than cryptic icons to decode. This is UI design basics - if something needs to be explained and there is no universal symbol for it, describe it as simply as possible as opposed to adding more layer of interpretation.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I removed all the metro apps and moved all my custom made items I usually put on the taskbar custom folder into there.. Works fine, not intrusive at all. I start, log in and I am on the desktop like before. Want to launch an app, I do what I always did since I set my my taskbar to autohide: hit the windows key to bring it up and pick my app. The tools I need are one click away, or I use the old Windows Key + Something to bring up what I need as I always did. I have them grouped same as I had to do in Win 7, no biggie there, but it looks cleaner in Win 8. Since I don`t use the icons on my desktop, I always hide them.

I consider "Metro" the "Start Menu". Win 8 allows me to use my apps same as before. No issues.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool to hear that it sounds possible to bring the OS to solid useable state Lamont (I'm an avid win key user too therefore I do not use the orb either). I still don't see a solid reason to update tho - especially if at the end of the day it just ends up being, at best, the same thing as before instead of something making our job noticeably faster.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I only upgraded since I had it. I did not do benchmarks with how apps performed before (something I should have done before upgrading...). But I hated Aero because it locked up sometimes and caused issues. If they are still using Aero, they made it zippier/fixed it. Just feels clean.

The first 8 minutes was spent customizing Win8 to how I needed, and after, just wasn`t an issue. I like the squareness of it too. You are correct in not seeing a need to upgrade. But if you can get it for $15 bucks and everything works, go for it.

My opinion is not really needed. If it vanished tonight from my comp, I would still get my work done the same. But it is nice if you have it already (or already bought it for an upgrade)
  • BananaBomb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one importatnt question, it's good idea to buy now windows 8 or better wait for more updates? Actually i have windows 7... In this time Windows 8 is better than 7 ?