Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need Texture Help!

Hi I have accumulated alot of high poly and low poly models that i want to texture and finish so I have started with this pipe segment and I was hoping to get some help on continuing with texturing it cause I was going for something with the texture detail of like the ones that are in UT3 that have amazing details, but mine don't yet. Any help or crits would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

pipesegmentstraight128r.png
Closeup of where the paint has come off
pipesegmentstraight128r.png

And The diffuse Texture Flat at full res
pipesegmentstraight128d.png

Replies

• sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    You should check out the Polycount wiki. There's a metal texture tutorial listed there that looks like it's the sort of thing you're going for: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=373024

Basically you'll need to look at actual reference and pay attention where things like rust/scratches and wear naturally occur. Also think about what kind of metal you're making for it to look believable. Is this thing copper, brass, steel, etc?
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my newest attempt at texturing. Its only a diffuse and normal map right now.

filingcabinet02render01.png
    filingcabinet02render02.png

Flats
    filingcabinet02diffusef.jpg

Any crits would be much appreciated. Thank you
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    Good start!

- Bit too monochrome (especially the pipe) add some more soft colour variation in there with a low opacity layer in your PSD

- The undersurface on the pipe is too similar to the pipe texture. Would be something else. More worn down. Needs more transition from pipe to under surface.

- occlusion (black lines) are too black, try and a dark blue or brown?

- Cabinet needs a bit more work on the edging, you have a soft lighter edge which is cool but it's a bit too consistent and clean which goes against the more run down look of the texture.

- You have overlayed that splatter photo on the cabinet but it's focused on one area a bit too much. It's the only interesting detail and the eye just rests there and gets bored with the rest. Maybe try and add more worn surface in other areas to and make the detail more uniform. edging will help with this too.

This is a common tutorial used for this sort of thing if you have not seen it already.

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html

and here is a old example of something I worked on. Obviously this is worn down a bit too much but might give some inspiration. I think the key thing to notice here is the discoloration. Hope this helps!

http://www.caponeart.com/ts_04.htm
  • Fr0stguard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the filing cabinet. The renders are done using unlit in UDK.

filingcabinet02render05.png
    filingcabinet02render06.png
    filingcabinet02render07.png

Flats
    filingcabinet02diffusef.jpg

Any crits welcome. Thank you
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    capone polycounter lvl 18
    Wow that's much better. Main crit now is that there is a general noise/grain over the entire texture, it can be nice to have cleaner areas here and there to balance it out a bit. If you have the photo overlay in your PSD try masking out some bits here and here (either with 100% eraser or something like 70%)and see if it helps.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Try stacking some of those UV's you wont see 2 sides at once so you could probably get away with the repetition of it, and you will get more resolution out of the texture.

Another thing i noticed, is that the rust doesn't seem to be effecting that top trim, which seems out of place to me.