Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1 millionth sci fi Corridor- WIP Crit? [UDK]

Hi folks,

Working on an environment as part of my thesis for my senior year at Ringling College of Art and Design. In the trailer my team and I are creating, this space is used as a launching bay for unmanned drones. Specifically, I'm looking for crit on lighting. I want to make the space more interesting and dramatic while not distracting attention away from the Drones as they leave the bay.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

ADjqm.jpgxCfHC.jpg

Replies

• nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    This is UDK!? It looks amazing!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    nice! corridor's design is solid, amount of detail is well balanced and light emphasizes the right areas.

i hope you just started working on textures though. they mostly look like paper with black lines printed on it, there's no material definition at all.
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. at this point in our production schedule, we are wrapping up modeling and just now beginning to work on textures.
  • TehSplatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    There needs to be an entire thread dedicated to sci fi hall ways haha but also, very nice !
  • MJCr24
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a bit of progress on texturing, setdressing, and overall mood
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Another Ringling poster!

This scene is 'OK' by all standards, just lacks a purpose. U have a lot of words, but no clear sentence. Lighting is the weakest element

Start by narrowing ur palette and differentiating the outdoors' (background) color from the indoors'. Kill all the ambient lights

Identify the major shapes of ur composition. Light them so they have a gradient of light revealing them, like a spotlight. (example - http://i1-games.softpedia-static.com/screenshots/Doom-3-X1-Docking-Station-Level1-Map_3.jpg - notice how the columns that go from floor to ceiling on the right-hand walkway have such gradient, with a light source placed at their top precisely for this purpose)

Identify the lesser shapes and light them more softly, but similarly, with a slightly different hue. U'r making lights now that actually affect the scene and drive the composition. Everything else should be dark

If u add a light it should hit, at least, air, so add a glow
    If u don't need a light somewhere for story or composition, don't add ambient light there, keep it dark

Note: the 'pipe' creates a lot of glow but the main 'core' room has none
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks For the critique! very helpful.

Its been a while since I've updated, my attention has been focused elsewhere in the project (camera work/effects/etc)

Here is the latest texturing and lighting wise

8tHjP.jpg
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    It's progressing nicely. My biggest crit actually is the font you used for "Hangar 12". It looks like Helvetica or something, very un-scifi looking. Also I'd say the scene is pretty clean and pristine for a space where ships launch from. I'd expect to see some chipped paint, burns, smoke, grittiness, stains, etc.
  • skurmedel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe controversial but I would "switch" the blue with the red and yellow. If your drones are gonna hang out in the end of that corridor you'll need something to draw my eyes to them. Either they will have to be much brighter (and the rest darker), or they'll have all the signal colours (yellow, red, orange etc.)

Another idea would be to dim your overall ambient in that hangar even more and just make the vertical section at the end bathe in light.

Another idea would be to have a row of bright lights that follow the outline of the tunnel.

The movement of the drones themselves will of course guide the eye too. It is hard to say right now, do you have an animatic or something similar?
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

I'm unable to post the animatic or the actual scene from the trailer as it stands, but here are two screenshots that should demonstrate the ships' path and how they exit the hangar (from left to right) I'll be posting further updates soon.

progress82.jpgprogress83.jpg
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Close up look at some of the material progress I'm working on. Still need to do a grunge pass

progress84.jpg
  • MJCr24
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few images of another space I am responsible for. This is the environment just outside of the Hangar space. It is the interior of a large tower that is being used to harvest an energy source at its base. The energy source is slowly beginning to freeze the tower near the energy source.

The small hangar space launches the drones into this environment in the trailer.

progress90.jpgprogress91.jpgprogress92.jpgprogress93.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    These are looking very cool! I would say that the textures and lighting are not quite popping, probably due to spec/gloss. Everything almost looks diffuse only and nearly all the detail is in the 3d forms with little surface definition. Try some texture practice and play around with different techniques from this Philip K tut to get something that plays well with the light.

I'll also suggest adding some secondary colour to the ice scene, very little Hue/Sat variation.

Sweet scenes, keep us posted!
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Hey Just woow work, i took a second to reply only to say that the blueish color gets the last few images "redundant" its more of the same without any explanation. Provide something a bit relaxing to the eyes and try to balance colors in a way that you dont overload (don't blast everything you got). Gnomon hits your mom with colors to get something that plays well with the colors.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6