Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ghost sheet killer

Here is a new project I am starting, I want to create the ghost sheet killer that was done by Noah Driver.

7748382848_3fc8c631f7_k.jpg

Here is my progress so far, the sheet folds are pretty much done. The body underneath is just blocked out. Comments and critiques are more than welcome.

ghost_sheet_update_2.jpg

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Liking the folds, did you put a sheet over your own head as a reference? I so would have. :)

Keep working on It, It's coming along but needs more loving.

The only thing bugging me a bit and It probably doesn't matter right now but later on if your going to make those torn parts at the 'would be' bottom might not turn out so well as a game mesh unless you just add a plane to the edges there, then add them in. :)

Just a suggestion I never made anything the way I described above, just my .02 cents on what I would try.
  • pedrohurtado
    thanks for he critique $!nz, I was thinking of adding the torn parts in the low poly with the alphas.
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is a small update, I did the gloves he is wearing. They are leather work gloves, I did this to practice clothing folds before I attempt the sheets again. any comments and critiques are more than welcome

ghost_sheet_update_3.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    I redid the sheets, I actually took a picture of myself with a sheet over my head. This helped me out a lot and I think the folds look a lot better. Any comments and critiques are greatly appreciated

ghost_sheet_update_4.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is a small update, I finished the boots.

ghost_sheet_update_5.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is another small update, I worked on the folds a little more. I added smaller wrinkles and made the sheet longer. I scaled the gloves down because they were too big. Again comments and critiques are more than welcome

ghost_sheet_update_6.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    I finished the jeans, here is how he looks under the sheet. I will now work on the shirt and then move on to the face. Any comments and critiques will be greatly appreciated.

ghost_sheet_update_7.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Hi guys here is another update, I added smaller folds to the sheet. I also sculpted the larger folds of the shirt and increased the size of of the head. comments and critiques are more than welcome.

ghost_sheet_update_8.jpg

ghost_sheet_update_9.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Hi guys here is an update of the face, I chose to make it similar to Ridley Scott's face. He is the director of the movie alien. I really like his eyes which is the important part since it's the only part that will be showing. If you guys have any comments or critiques please let me know.

ghost_sheet_update_10.jpg

this is my reference

scott_js78727375.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is the finished head, I added all of the wrinkles and the eyebrows. I followed the tutorial of Cesar Dacol called sculpting wrinkles in Zbrush, it was really helpful I really recommend it.

ghost_sheet_update_11.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    This is a GREAT concept! Super unique. Unfortunately, the model doesn't look as menacing as the reference. I don't know too much about anatomy so I can't pin what it is. It could be the lack of the blood texture and machetes or the smooth look to the sheets that just aren't present in this early stage, but it seems like something else.

I read somewhere that with characters, our brains often equate curves with heroes and angles with villains. The best case for this argument that I can think of is Scar and Mufasa from Lion King: both are lions drawn very similarly, but the angles and curves in the line work clearly illustrate who the hero and villain are without any context. I feel your first attempt at the folds, although less realistic, was the most menacing looking. It also had more definition in the head whereas your current model looks like the head, neck and shoulders kind of smooth out into a less intimidating, more child-like, curve.

But in all honesty, character art is not my thing. I could just be talking out my butt and all you need is the texture work. Whatever the case, I'm looking forward to more progress.
  • pedrohurtado
    BringMeASunkist: Thanks for the critique, I understand what you are saying, I was thinking of adding a lot of the sharper edges when I do the low poly. I would create the tears at the bottom of the sheet with alphas and that would give some sharp edges to the silhouette and make it look more menacing.

Here is just an update of how the character looks underneath the sheet. I wanted to see if I had any proportion issues.

ghost_sheet_update_12.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Hi guys, I have not posted in a while but here is an update of the low poly with the normal map. I also raised the shoulders, they were too low before.

ghost_sheet_update_13.jpg

ghost_sheet_update_14.jpg

ghost_sheet_update_16.jpg

ghost_sheet_update_15.jpg
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    loving the folds, are you currently in school?
  • pedrohurtado
    RJBonner thanks for the comment, I just graduated 3 weeks ago
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is another update, I did the diffuse for the sheet. I also did the alpha for the tears at the bottom of the sheet.

ghost_sheet_update_17.jpg
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
    It's coming along nicely. I would say that the sheet should be raping more from the and arms like a giant robe like in the concept than how it appears tugged back right now. Otherwise great job!
  • wjmoosting
    Hey! I'm new to the forums! I work as leveldesigner for the game this is going to be put in.
    Just wanted to say this is looking awesome! It really looks like the actual concept art!
    How are you planning to set up the sheet? Will it be a cloth that is physicalized ingame? A static mesh would look weird!
  • pedrohurtado
    ZenDavis: Thanks

Wjmoosting: Thanks for the comment. Right now I dont know, Im going to have to talk to Rodrigo and see how he wants to handle the sheet.

Here is another update, I made the sheet wider in the bottom just like the concept. I made the sheet whiter, it was too brown. I also textured the face.

ghost_sheet_update_18.jpg
  • NateMasterFlash
    Offline / Send Message
    NateMasterFlash polycounter lvl 12
    Right now the wear and tear on the bottom of the sheet doesn't look natural. To me it looks like he took scissors to them.
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    I agree, could do with some more love

Insane work on the folds though!
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    The fact that it's pulled up around the hip area and lets you see his butt takes something away from the character in my opinion. Also I'd suggest making the sleeves look more like the concept. Maybe reworking the sheet so that it necessarily isn't a square or rectangle draped over his head and this would give you a little more leverage in making changes.
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is a small update, I found some time to work on him. I textured the gloves and shoes. Comments and critiques are welcome.

ghost_sheet_update_19.jpg
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is another update, I textured the shirt and jeans. I also changed the shape of the boot so the shoe bends a little.

ghost_sheet_update_20.jpg
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't lie. This is coming out very great.
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is a small update, I fixed the high poly of the sheet. I got it to look more like a robe like the concept art.

ghost_sheet_update_21.jpg
  • KMiklas
    Offline / Send Message
    KMiklas polycounter lvl 9
    Highpoly looks good. Will you add surface details in a later stage (f.e. by crazybump)?
  • pedrohurtado
    Here is the finished character in UDK. Any last changes i can do.

highres_screenshot_00005.jpg
  • TicoTaco
    Looks great! Just curious what was the final poly/tri count of it all?
    Also were you planning on modelling out those machetes at all?
  • pedrohurtado
    The final tri count is 13,377
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    you are probabaly going to greatly dislike me because of this, but here goes!

Some crits:
    pedrohurtadopaintover.jpg

As bringmeasunkist said earlier, you are missing a lot of the really harsh angles that make the original concept seem more evil, the bottom of the sheet is a great example of this, while the concept has sharp points yous has a big wide boxy curve (red)

The overhanging sleave length is also wildly different, if your model was posed like the concept, the sheet would be dragging on the ground. (blue)

Your hands should be further in under the sheet, at the moment it makes him look like he has abnormally long arms. (green)

The shoulders as well are quite concave, I understand that this is because of the pose, but the convex, pointy shoulders add to the menacing nature of the concept.(orange)

On the texture:
    Why oh why is everything tinted orange? He's too bright, look at the concept, everything is quite dark, muted colours.

Your colouring on the texture here:
    ghost_sheet_update_18.jpg
    looks a lot better, it could still be darker but it's way more menacing than bad spray tan orange.

I'm also not sure about the blood spatter under the eyes, while it makes more sense from a realism point of view, I think the concept's interpretation is better (looks like he is bleeding through empty eye sockets.
    You could maybe have him wearing a ski mask underneath as well so only his eyes themselves are visible and that cheek section is that kind of infinite stare level of darkness.

It's a great start, but I reckon you could really turn this into something special :)

Cheers,
    Hobo
  • pedrohurtado
    mystichobo: Thanks for the critique, I tried to fix everything you said. I made the sheet cover the gloves, I tried to show the shoulders a little, and I changed the shape of the bottom of the sheet to include sharper angles. Also with the tan color a lot of it was caused by the lighting so I hope this lighting works better.

highres_screenshot_000051.jpg