Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D animation powered by Maya viewport 2.0

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hello guys,I decided to try using Maya's viewport 2.0 as a renderer for my animation rather than mental ray which would take a very long time.I imported the main model and the environment rendered playblast separately into AE and the rest of the post processing was done in AE.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAscr92uvbk&list=UUPUnC7Eqb7wMhEU26Vz9VJg&index=1&feature=plcp"]13 vs 7...It begins. - YouTube[/ame]
I had to compress the final video to reduce file size for uploading.If not,it looks way better.I kinda screwed up with the audio and sfx.

Replies

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any criticism on the animation?Any mistakes in my character's movements;I know the audio/sfx could have been better.Does the rendering look okay or it would have been better with other game engines renderers like udk or cry engine?
    Would appreciate any feedback.Thanks.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The rendering isn't the problem, although it could use a lot of work, what bothers me is nothing really makes sense. You have a 30 second intro of somebody looking around a room, then 30 seconds of her falling, then 45 seconds of her fighting a mounted turret. If you are doing a small animated short you should have a clear view of what you want your viewer to get out of it. If you want to do a quick 1-2 min fighting/action sequence then you need to introduce the protagonist and antagonist with in the first 30 seconds so the viewer can anticipate what will happen. You also need to show what the protagonist goal is and why the antagonist is against it. Having a character falling through a tunnel for 30 seconds does not do anything to help tell a story or build excitement.

The second issue is the camera cuts. Honestly when she is falling I have no clue what direction she is falling in, or how she is oriented. You flip, rotate, and cut the camera is ways that kill any type of orientation in the shot so I have no clue what is going on. It gets even worse when she is fighting the turret because you cross the axis of action so many times.

The animation is really weak because you have little sense of weight or timing in her movements, and lots of popping and sliding. Stick with the fundamentals of animation first and get those down before you try to do some 2 minute long action sequence. The bouncing ball, walk cycle, run cycle, platform jump, and stuff like that. If you can't do those well, and understand why those are all key to learning animation then you will never be able to animate a 2 minute long action sequence. I am a modeler and I suffered from the same trap as you when I was learning it early on, and still a little bit now, of wanting to do massive projects. I wanted to make huge ass environments with all this awesome stuff when I barely understood any fundamentals yet.

Sorry for sounding like the bearer of bad news but keep working at it dude. Only can get better from here so keep working.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem,thanks for the crit,BARDLER.Will take them to note while working on the next one.I definitely have to keep practicing.

The room animation is actually an intro for my animation logo.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say the character has no weight in this, it lacks any recoil from her movements (Punch the air, when your done punching you don't just pull your arm back, it springs back.) or even load and spring before them (punch the air again and notice you pull your arm back before punching, you do the same with walking, standing up, sitting down, pretty much any and all movements.)
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bombshell.Will incoporate them in future animations
    Decided to re render the 13 vs 7 animation I did with new music I composed using Flstudio.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uATNotHo1iE"]13 versus 7 re-rendered. - YouTube[/ame]