Home Technical Talk

Baking normals out of a texture

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
Hi

Need some tips on how to manipulate normal on a texture. I been using xnormal to bake normals but i need a plug in or a program that helps me create the normal on the texture instead of the model.

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    What are you asking exactly? xnormal has a height to normal conversion in the program as well as the photoshop plug in that comes with it. However you should not rely on photos to create your normals for you expect for small surface detail.

I have seen you make like 4 or 5 different threads about normal maps in the past few days and you should be reading into the advice posted in those. There is no easy way out for creating normal maps or some special program that will give you what you want. You need to learn how normals work, how you need to build your high and low poly, and where you need to set your edges to hard and soft.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    im confused are you wanting to take photo details and make a normal map out of them, or do you just want to bake detials to a flat texture.

since if you just want to bake highpoly details to a flat texture just bake to a flat plane.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    The only problem is that the model is not mine and i try doing the normal baking out of the model but when i transform it in to a high poly it crash the programs so i i though on a way to paint the normal using the texture has
    a guide to paint the normals, i did check the suggestion on the other threads
    but i got confuse and i dint see or at least read any help on painting the normals. So basically all i wanted to do is paint the normals.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Using the heightmap-to-normal route you'll be able to generate small surface detail and stuff like that, however you will have a very very very very hard time trying to handpaint edge shading (as usually baked from a high poly source) into a normal map ;-)
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the advice i see what i can do for now