Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hawkblum

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
In school I got a assignment to make a level with a character which could walk around in smaller engine known as: Tengine. Our major restrictions are that the playercamera must only see less than 50 000 visable triangles..

This is one of the NPC characters which I will put in the worlddemo. I am working a little bit backwards when I kind of started with the NPC but its okay because I will start with the rest anytime and we got a few weeks to go =)

p5Eks.png

1LdxM.jpg

The NPC polycount limit is 4000 but my char is around 6000, which is a minor problem for now :)

More images and information about the world will be coming up! :D

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    a fun idea! how big will this char be on screen? can you save polys by removing all those rings in the lens and some loops from the petals etc?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I remove to many rings on the lens I will get a square-ish on the eyes which would drag down the picture a lot because the eyes is such a important piece in all creatures. Its one of the first things we look for at. But I think there is room to remove loops from the flower and petals or some interior parts of the machine =)

The potbot will be extremely small. The main character will be another robot that is a little bit bigger than the averge human.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    What I mean is keep those rings in the camera in the highpoly but bake them to a single big fat ring in the lowpoly so you keep all the verts around the outer and inner edge but you dont have any of the extra rings inside that shape, know what I mean?
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! Yes I could do that!

To bad I want this cool zoom effect when some lens mech part move in and some moves out out while it tries to correct its depth of field and zoom ability >:I
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the character which the player will walk around in a third-person-perspective and enjoy the scenic view, which I will making in more detail tomorrow! =)

When we first got the assignment we got randomized highconcept characteristics which we had to implant in our character. My words were: A weak journalist with no friends. It was a fun challenge to try get the lonely and weak feeling on the character

zO8AW.png

Pmbnz.png

1TTnI.png

They characteristics might be a little to subtle. They are more shown in the first concept picture than the WIP 3D model.

(Ps: The highconcept words were in swedish. While the word weak could been skinny, nonmusclar or pushover, the swedish word was: klen)
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the level the character will walk around. Lots of work left, but to post it sooner than later was better.

The level can be as large as possiable, but only 50 000 can max be shown. Which I am going to divide the levels into sectors so the engine loads upp specific parts when the player entersthe designated areas =)

Ofiq7.jpg

nr3O8.png