Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Puss in Heavy-Metal Boots

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
Hey all!

It's been a while since I posted some art here. Finally got some stuff I can show. This one is the Puss in Boots, BigJohn style.

Tiger.jpg

Detail_Shot.jpg

And the sculpt:

Highpoly.jpg

Some of you (very few) may remember this character. I did it originally for the Domwar mini from last year. Was never quite happy with it, so I decided to redo it. Here's a shot of what the original looks like:
Final.jpg

This new one should look better. Hope you guys like it.

Replies

• Lextripper
    Offline / Send Message
    Lextripper polycounter lvl 7
    ooh nice
    full body shot looks good but when u zoom in then i miss detail and its looking a bit flat.
    especialy the fur doesnt feel right from close.
    what did you use to render it? marmoset?
  • danpaz3d
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work. haha completely opposite to what I thought it would be (based on the title I was expecting a Shrek type puss in boots) :)
    Looks good though, nice art style. The blades look awesome.
  • Ashaman73
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashaman73 polycounter lvl 6
    Really cool ! I love the selection of color.

Have you tried to leave the fur hints out of the texture but keep the mane around the neck ?
  • OverlordNeko
    I prefer the old version. Great work anyway :)
  • magmabolt
    Offline / Send Message
    magmabolt polycounter lvl 13
    I thought this was going to be something entirely different when I read the thread title XD. Very nice though I like the old version as well
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I prefer the old version. Great work anyway :)

Me too. It has more life on it.
  • Ranko
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranko polycounter lvl 4
    Looks great!I agree with first comment.. The fur can use some work, it looks very flat and since your char is not super stylized but has a sense of realism it feels unfinished. :)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    You have a lot of detail in the blades and boots (and the base), but very little in any skin-covered areas, which might seem a little weird. but man those swords :)
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I think your sculpt is a bit soft, which comes across in the texture. I think you could flatten some edges and really dig in some cavities to define the muscles a little more. Defining the fur in your spec map might help take away from the smoothness too
    I really like your color scheme in this! and his armor looks sweet.
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks pretty good, my favorite part is probably the fur on his back. I feel like getting the fur look from the back into other places in the model will really help the model out too.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I think this is pretty sweet, I originally skipped over the thread due to the name - thought of Shrek and wasn't too interested, but I saw this in WAYWO and got pulled in.

I think the new version is a huge improvement over the original, really helps separate it from the "Kratos" feel that the original had.

A few things, or rather a lack of things, stood out to me though. His whole head isn't really all that interesting, missing some simple things I think would help push the design to feel more "completed". Did a quick paintover of some things to consider:

bigjohn_puss_po.gif
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    that fur paintover looks good.

in addition to that, the biggest thing that stood out to me is lack of spec or proper surface identity. right now the whole thing looks like sort of matte clay like surface.

also, as daphz mentioned the sculpt needs to be bit more crisp and defined to hold up with the armor.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lextripper - Thanks man. Yeah, it was all rendered in marmoset.

danpaz3d - Cheers! Much appreciated.

Ashaman73 - Thanks. Honestly the fur has been a struggle. If I had to do it all over again, I would have given him a different skin. But I thought it would be fun to paint fur (and it was!), it was just hard to make it work with the rest of the piece.

OverlordNeko - Thanks man. heh, I think you like the old version because it's hand-painted. But it's all good :)

magmabolt - Thanks dude, glad you like it.

jramauri - Yeah, there is some charm to diffuse-only pieces. Hey, if it helps any, I used exactly 1 photo in the texture for this. The rest is 99.9% painted. Not because I have something against photos, it's just much easier for me to control stuff I paint myself.

Ranko - Yup, fucking fur...

cptSwing - Thanks! Glad you like it. The swords are actually real. I based them off of a middle-eastern sword I saw for sale online. I thought it had such a cool curvy shape.

daphz - Thanks man, that crit helps. I'm definitely going to try all that and see if I can make it work better.

Shadownami92 - Shadow, always a gentleman. Thank you sir.

Two Listen - Hey, thanks man. Much appreciated. I really like what you've done with it, I'm gonna try it out and see if I can make it work. I struggled with the fur so much on this...

MM - Awesome, hey, thanks for the comment. You guys' advice is gonna be real helpful. I initially imagined his anatomy would be fuzzy because he's covered in fur. The back would be longer mane-type fur, and the front like that of a pitbull. But looking at it now, that was a mistake. I made lots of mistakes on this one. I'm definitely gonna go back and try and fix it.
  • Tw1tch
    Sweet ass render's and a nice sculpt.
  • slipsius
    jfeouiahfsa SDK please! I would love to animate this guy!

Great stuff, John. Cant wait to see the fix ups!
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    For what it's worth, the fur may have been a struggle for you but I actually think you did a good job with what you did have. I understand what people are saying, it doesn't look as realistic as say the swords, but I feel like it works when viewed as a whole and that's key (that's one reason I thought it'd be cool to see more of it). It's smooth, but consistent in style and I thought you did a good job of blending bits of it into what are otherwise skin-covered areas.

I do think trying to sell it more through your spec could help. This guy is definitely worth pursuing a little bit more to make for a nice finished piece. :)
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I think the boots arent prominent enough. They are an important part of the 'idea' but here they dont stand out.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again guys. You're awesome!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, took some of your comments and did another pass on this guy.

Tiger.jpg

Thanks again everyone. It was real helpful.
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Looking a lot better BigJohn!

Are the eyes poking out a little too much? Not sure, but they don't seem to be embedded into the head as much.

The fur looks a lot better. I feel like to make it even better though, an idea would be to add similar fur details on the upper legs, where that sort of blank off white portion is between the belt and the top of the boot.

If you wanted to you maybe do something with the face though, you could use a similar fur technique to give him eyebrows of sorts, that's more of a suggestion if anything though.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude. Yeah, I'll get a shot of the back later on when I get home.

For the eyes, he basically has two different ones, his right eye is normal as seen in the shots, but his left eye is messed up and has a scar over it.

It's all just ideas I threw in there but ended up not reading too well.
  • Pedro Jatob
    Offline / Send Message
    Pedro Jatob polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Bigjohn, I do remember your entry ! haha Nice to see you`re making a next-gen character of it. But, in my opnion, maybe you could reduce the normal map from the abs, its looking weird, its getting a lot of attention,

Maybe if you work the difuse you can fix it, I did a quick overpaint here...it`s just my opnion ! The rest is awesome, keep going !

1kzJ6
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice. I had it closer to what you suggest originally, it's actually just the diffuse. I'll try that again.
  • Accipiter
    Offline / Send Message
    Accipiter triangle
    You still working on this? Looking cool!
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    I've considered it finished for a long time now. It's in my portfolio website.

I don't imagine I'll be working on this stuff anymore. I've quit the game industry a while ago, so I doubt I'll be doing more game art any time soon.