Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Go to first new post [Dota2] – Witch Doctor – Mysterious Wanderer set

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Hi, thought I'd have a go. This is a quick, simple idea so far to give the general impression of what I'm going for.

mysteriouswanderer2.jpg

Replies

• Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    I like the idea of being shrouded in cloth, but the colors will help sell it. What is the staff supposed to be in the shape of? It's very scythe-like, and for a second I thought I was looking at a Necrolyte weapon.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye the colours will be very important, I think I can get some nice gradients on it. Basically I'm aiming for some large shapes with a strong colour choice (which I've not done yet) over something more detailed.

It's actually an african scythe (as found via google images). I liked the idea of him looking a bit like the grim reaper but a normal scythe didn't gel too well with him being a witch doctor, so the african version seemed to fit better.

Now I have to google necrolyte...
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to get most of this done over the weekend. Here's where he is at the moment.

zbrush_1.jpg
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes. Very yes.

I Think you Can do better with the staff though. Play around with some silhuettes
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers. I'll have a go at some more varied silhouettes. At the moment I just pushed the curves more and put in an idea for the lantern.

zbrush_2.jpg
  • zephyri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zephyri polycounter lvl 8
    I like the cape and agree with comments on the staff.. maybe have a think about where he's wandered, and what he might have come across to make a staff with? Also, currently to me, he's not really retaining much of his witch doctory-ness.. maybe the odd skull (perhaps animals he's found on his wanders?) or voodoo-esque prop on the staff - I prefer the original almost dreamcatcher/evil eye prop on the concept to the hour glass. Definitely has potential to be cool regardless!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few new staff ideas, leaning back more to tribal type stuff

zbrush3.jpg
    zbrush4.jpg
  • Some Jerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The dream catcher and the snake staffs are the best me thinks.
  • agentfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dream catcher, I agree is the most interesting.
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nr2 works, yeah
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like dreamcatcher is the way to go (I like the snake though so will probably add that in too).

I decided to try and get something ingame so I did the lowpoly, UVs and some quick'n'dirty bakes. I managed to get my first, very crude model in, but the proper one won't go. It's 946 tris and the witchdoctor webpage, and workshop page, say the limit is 950. But when I try to import there it then says the limit is 450. I've tried to find where to submit this bug but can't seem to find anywhere :(

witchdoctorbug.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    950 is for the LoD0

450 is for the LoD1
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    The in-game geometry is what renders while playing the game. This is the lower of the two limits and only allows for 450. This is required for the file to be accepted by the in-game submission.

The optional portrait geometry is what shows outside the game when equipping items, and in in the portrait in-game if it's a helmet. This is the 950.

Both are required for the Polycount contest, but you only NEED the 450 one for it to be accepted by the game.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers, I was getting mixed up and thinking the LOD0 was what went into the game.

Had fun stripping it down to 450...anyway, managed to get it in. Just has automatic skin and a normal map (and very crude diffuse). But it's a start.

workshop_1.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been faffing about with the cloak skinning, fighting clipping issues so not much to show there. Got a few bits to sort out then can bake the maps again. It does look quite cool in motion as some of the existing bones are being used to mimic lag on the cloth.

In the meantime I started the staff today at lunch. Though I'd make the frame of the dreamcatcher a mountain goat horn.

staff1.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spot of work on the staff.

staff2i.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some bakes on the LOD0 mesh, still to bake the gradient.

staff3l.jpg
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flat diffuse WIP in maya. Been having a major pain trying to ensure no clipping errors in the cloak and been having some issues with maya.

diffuse1.jpg
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great, love the snake :)

Maybe give the top of the weapon a bit more contrast, the detail is pretty hard to notice.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bear in mind, if that dreamcatcher bit is done using alphas (looks like it is) then you won't be able to use it on the Witch Doctor - he's not got alpha enabled.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motherf.....thanks for letting me know. Even after you telling I couldn't find anywhere that said which heroes do and don't have alpha enabled.

So I redid the dreamcather, it's geometry now (duplicated and flipped normals. I think I prefer it actually as the design in simpler and bolder, and the more chaotic/less intricate design fits the staff and character better. It casts a cool shadow on the ground too. Just need to fix the issue where one of the bones on the snake gets rotated about 180 when it goes into game though, causing a massive twist.

diffuse3.jpg