Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

karin kanzuki first low poly char

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
First model I followed through. I couldn't have done it without the support of these forums, learning on my own with a full time job in the military.

Please tear it apart polycount!

dalongshrk2.jpg

Replies

• Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    critiques plz? I have a thick skin.
  • Rob Macko
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko polycounter lvl 6
    First congrats on seeing your first character through, and I don't work on characters but I can give you some thoughts.

There's a few things that stuck out for me. Her face was the first thing I noticed as it doesn't remind me of the character exactly, and it kinda looks like she has freckles. The leather or spandex parts of her outfit (under her shirt, wrists/forearms, skirt, and socks I think) look purple when I think they're supposed to be black. That could be open to interpretation though. Can you post your reference? Overall I feel she looks masculine compared to the more feminine character from SF Alpha 3. Perhaps someone here may give you some more in depth tips about the anatomy, but here's a couple images I just looked up. I hope that helps, and good luck.

Street-Fighter-Karin-Kanzuki-1-wallpaper.jpg

Street-Fighter-Karin-Kanzuki-2-wallpaper.jpgSFA3_Karin.gif
  • Koochy
    Offline / Send Message
    Koochy polycounter lvl 10
    mirin' her legs, she must squat.

Personally, I think her face is a bit masculine. Something to do with her cheekbones and eye sockets... Cool model though. I like her posture.
  • David Wakelin
    I agree,

she does look very masculine... tbh she looks like a man in a cheer leaders outfit, but saying that theres only a few changes and shell be sorted;

Her face - its too angular, a females tends to be more curved and oval shaped/rounded.

Her legs look massive, now they may be like this in the reference, but just expand her hips out abit more (not too much!) and it'll add a more feminine look.

But nice model overall :)
  • leilei
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I think her eyes are far too out and up apart like a fish, could be narrowed.
    Also the jawline is too hard

this might come in handy maybe. Discusses capcom's freaky proportions
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ooh, nice link there Leilei.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rob Macko wrote: »
    First congrats on seeing your first character through, and I don't work on characters but I can give you some thoughts.

There's a few things that stuck out for me. Her face was the first thing I noticed as it doesn't remind me of the character exactly, and it kinda looks like she has freckles. The leather or spandex parts of her outfit (under her shirt, wrists/forearms, skirt, and socks I think) look purple when I think they're supposed to be black. That could be open to interpretation though. Can you post your reference? Overall I feel she looks masculine compared to the more feminine character from SF Alpha 3. Perhaps someone here may give you some more in depth tips about the anatomy, but here's a couple images I just looked up. I hope that helps, and good luck.

Street-Fighter-Karin-Kanzuki-1-wallpaper.jpg

Street-Fighter-Karin-Kanzuki-2-wallpaper.jpgSFA3_Karin.gif

thanks man! the general consensus im getting is that her face is too manly. I was liberal towards the design and color scheme as I noticed there was alot of slight varience across internet reference. Thank you!
    Koochy wrote: »
    mirin' her legs, she must squat.

Personally, I think her face is a bit masculine. Something to do with her cheekbones and eye sockets... Cool model though. I like her posture.

thanks for the complement, the general consensus im getting is that her face is too manly.
    leilei wrote: »
    I think her eyes are far too out and up apart like a fish, could be narrowed.
    Also the jawline is too hard

this might come in handy maybe. Discusses capcom's freaky proportions
    interesting link! I will get on that when I have the time!
  • TigerGD
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD polycounter lvl 9
    Can you show us wireframes, textures, polycount, and hi-poly? I'm wondering how much may be lost in translation from your hi-poly.
  • Jigsaw
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    I'd like to add that aside from the masculinity the face just has very peculiar and distinct features, none of which really bring to mind the character you're trying to portray. If you managed to nail the typical smug look on her face too, I think that would help with the likeness as well.

Beyond the face, what stands out to me the most are her proportions, and anatomy in general. She has an extremely slim waist, and the hips look quite narrow as well. The pelvis in general might be a little small, but it might just be the tiny skirt confusing me, not sure. Her upper body is a little mysterious as well, her ribcage looks quite narrow yet her shoulders look massive. The area around her neck is really confusing as well, there's a couple of layers of floating geometry with what looks like holes where you can see right through the model, and it's just difficult to try to figure out how her neck, chest and shoulders connect underneath her clothing.

The bow in her hair looks strange. It kind of reads more like a big dogbone-shaped piece of plastic than something made out of fabric, and the way those ribbons just stick right out of it bothers me a lot.

The gloves seem to be a bit lacking in definition. I think you need to use geometry for the brown parts, they look kinda painted-on right now. You've seem to got some pretty nasty stretching going on in the back of her hands, as well. Come to think of it, the hands could probably use more polygons in general, the fingers look quite blocky.

The textures have a lot of room for improvement, IMO. The mostly flat colours works pretty well for this type of character, but I think the colours are a little too vibrant, and the shading a bit too monochromatic. It looks like you've tinted your AO bake which is a good start, but I still feel like there could be more colour variation. The black spandex/leather/whatever they are parts could look a lot better with the use of a specular map, but if you don't want to use one you need to add more contrast and visually separate it from the other fabrics just using the diffuse map. Finally, and this is probably more of a UV issue than a texturing issue, but the white trim on her collar, sleeves and skirt seem a bit inconsistent.

Did a little paintover that might help illustrate some of my points. Hope you don't mind.
    karin_paintover.jpg

And here's two scans from the Sakura Ganbaru manga where Karin originated, they may or may not help, I guess. One Two
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    TigerGD wrote: »
    Can you show us wireframes, textures, polycount, and hi-poly? I'm wondering how much may be lost in translation from your hi-poly.

diffuse.jpg

normalsall101212.jpg
    \

spec
    spec_specular_specular.jpg
    norpose.jpg

topo.jpg

10452 tri count, the face somehow got subdevided in my workflow, thats somthing I could fix later...

The highpoly is pretty buried in files somewhere (i blame my workflow) but i do have the normals without the difffuse.

Jigsaw wrote: »
    I'd like to add that aside from the masculinity the face just has very peculiar and distinct features, none of which really bring to mind the character you're trying to portray. If you managed to nail the typical smug look on her face too, I think that would help with the likeness as well.

Beyond the face, what stands out to me the most are her proportions, and anatomy in general. She has an extremely slim waist, and the hips look quite narrow as well. The pelvis in general might be a little small, but it might just be the tiny skirt confusing me, not sure. Her upper body is a little mysterious as well, her ribcage looks quite narrow yet her shoulders look massive. The area around her neck is really confusing as well, there's a couple of layers of floating geometry with what looks like holes where you can see right through the model, and it's just difficult to try to figure out how her neck, chest and shoulders connect underneath her clothing.

The bow in her hair looks strange. It kind of reads more like a big dogbone-shaped piece of plastic than something made out of fabric, and the way those ribbons just stick right out of it bothers me a lot.

The gloves seem to be a bit lacking in definition. I think you need to use geometry for the brown parts, they look kinda painted-on right now. You've seem to got some pretty nasty stretching going on in the back of her hands, as well. Come to think of it, the hands could probably use more polygons in general, the fingers look quite blocky.

The textures have a lot of room for improvement, IMO. The mostly flat colours works pretty well for this type of character, but I think the colours are a little too vibrant, and the shading a bit too monochromatic. It looks like you've tinted your AO bake which is a good start, but I still feel like there could be more colour variation. The black spandex/leather/whatever they are parts could look a lot better with the use of a specular map, but if you don't want to use one you need to add more contrast and visually separate it from the other fabrics just using the diffuse map. Finally, and this is probably more of a UV issue than a texturing issue, but the white trim on her collar, sleeves and skirt seem a bit inconsistent.

Did a little paintover that might help illustrate some of my points. Hope you don't mind.
    karin_paintover.jpg

And here's two scans from the Sakura Ganbaru manga where Karin originated, they may or may not help, I guess. One Two

I realy like the colors you put into the diffuse especially the orange and blue, I remember trying to paint more detail into the diffuse and it not working out because the normals would work against it. ill revisit the diffuse as well as the spec. I Admit not putting to much effort into the spec especially.

Things to correct:
    1.)Fix face
    2.)widen hips
    3.)make taller?
    4.)pay more attention to spec (spandex)
    5.)revisit diffuse
    6.)edit face topology