Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

n00b 3D artist

Hey guys, I decided to take the plunge and join Poly-count to get as much
criticism as possible on my work and to improve to be the best artist i can thrive to be.

Below is attached of some work i actually completed today,
I apologize for not having a Wire-frame up.

My Model is 4500 tris which iam guessing is far to high for the simplicity of this model, but take into consideration that it has not been baked, just a basic normal map applied and it was 350,000 polys before hand as it has been turbo-smoothed within 3D max. I just used Pro-Optimizer..

Please feel free to rape my 3D work :)

4381644#1

thanks guys!!

Replies

• sinn_exit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Join the club, I am new as well here. I will be posting some of my work up as well soon enough, mostly from 3DS Max. The more criticism I get the more motivated I can be to do better
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there, and welcome to Polycount! You're one step closer to becoming a better 3D Artist :)

It's good to crank out a project and get practice with the flow of modeling-texturing. Whenever starting a project, think of things that you need practice with, and challenge yourself. With that in mind, be realistic and pick something you will be able to finish (unfinished projects, we've all been there). Make sure to pick projects that you will enjoy creating, as that alone will motivate you to complete the project.

My advice to you is to actually practice a game dev workflow and create something that will be ready to throw in a game engine.
    Go through the process of gathering reference, making a nice detailed hi-poly, optimized low poly, build to grid, unwrap, lightmap unwrap (for UDK), bakes, texturing, etc.

I highly recommend visiting the wiki, http://wiki.polycount.com/, tons of helpful information there. Some excellent tutorials in there. Also, don't be afraid to share on the WAYWO thread, C&C will help you improve as an artist.
    Good start, let's see more :)
  • Munkndrunk00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eY3lEs5 wrote: »
    Hey there, and welcome to Polycount! You're one step closer to becoming a better 3D Artist :)

It's good to crank out a project and get practice with the flow of modeling-texturing. Whenever starting a project, think of things that you need practice with, and challenge yourself. With that in mind, be realistic and pick something you will be able to finish (unfinished projects, we've all been there). Make sure to pick projects that you will enjoy creating, as that alone will motivate you to complete the project.

My advice to you is to actually practice a game dev workflow and create something that will be ready to throw in a game engine.
    Go through the process of gathering reference, making a nice detailed hi-poly, optimized low poly, build to grid, unwrap, lightmap unwrap (for UDK), bakes, texturing, etc.

I highly recommend visiting the wiki, http://wiki.polycount.com/, tons of helpful information there. Some excellent tutorials in there. Also, don't be afraid to share on the WAYWO thread, C&C will help you improve as an artist.
    Good start, let's see more :)

Hey dude thanks a million!!! :)

I turned to Polycount because i really didnt know where to start or how to develop myself as an artist

Ive been doing 3d work for the last two years but i have never had a proper understand of how things work 'so to speak' i can model, UV_unwrap and bake normals but i know i need to find a better workflow and structure to how to approach things appropiately, you mentioned ' lightmap unwrap (for UDK)' , what exactly is that?? iam sooo new to this its unreal hahaha
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just google lightmaps udk, you'll find some good links that explain it well, including video links to tutorials for it. It's basically a second set of seperate UVs, which UDK uses to bake shadows and lighting information onto the surfaces of your static mesh.
    I think this feature will be gone with the new Unreal engine, as all lighting and shadows will be dynamic (no baking lights required).

Sites you may want to bookmark are Eat3d.com, 3dmotive.com, hourences.com. The first two are tutorial sites, requires a paid subscription, but they provide some free videos. I am a member of 3dmotive, and it really is worth the investment to get some high quality well done tutorials. Hourences is a good source for tutorials as well (might be a little dated). And then, the power of google will usually get you some good results, let alone youtube for video demos.

If you can get your hands on the Sci-Fi Floor tutorial by Eat3d, that one will help out tons. It assumes you know how to hi-poly model and bake out maps (so it skips modeling), but covers in great detail how to texture hard surfaces, let alone the workflow of putting together an organized PSD file (layers, masks, etc). It ends with a quick demo on how to get it all into UDK.
  • Munkndrunk00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eY3lEs5 wrote: »
    Just google lightmaps udk, you'll find some good links that explain it well, including video links to tutorials for it. It's basically a second set of seperate UVs, which UDK uses to bake shadows and lighting information onto the surfaces of your static mesh.
    I think this feature will be gone with the new Unreal engine, as all lighting and shadows will be dynamic (no baking lights required).

Sites you may want to bookmark are Eat3d.com, 3dmotive.com, hourences.com. The first two are tutorial sites, requires a paid subscription, but they provide some free videos. I am a member of 3dmotive, and it really is worth the investment to get some high quality well done tutorials. Hourences is a good source for tutorials as well (might be a little dated). And then, the power of google will usually get you some good results, let alone youtube for video demos.

If you can get your hands on the Sci-Fi Floor tutorial by Eat3d, that one will help out tons. It assumes you know how to hi-poly model and bake out maps (so it skips modeling), but covers in great detail how to texture hard surfaces, let alone the workflow of putting together an organized PSD file (layers, masks, etc). It ends with a quick demo on how to get it all into UDK.

Awesome!! :) iam thinking of paying a subscription for 3dmotive.com :)

Hopefully in a few weeks i will have good work posted :)

i know ive alot to learn but passion and drive is totally there :)

Thanks a million!!!