Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Character WIP

Muzza123
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Muzza123 polycounter lvl 7
I've had a go at using Zbrush a few times but I'm classing this as my "first" proper go at it. I'm looking for some feedback and advice for improvements to the models current form.

girlconcept31.jpg
girlconcept32.jpg

I originally want a more punk styling to the character's hair, something like the image below, however I wasn't too sure how to go about it, has anybody got any advice?
DT.jpg

Replies

• jaydon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaydon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man, I'm no expert (yet!!) but was at your level a little ways back, all i can say is Anatomy, Anatomy, Anatomy. Use a ton of reference and even start building folders of the stuff. The head really needs some adjusting.
    ggFz2.jpg

It takes a lot of practise :) you will get there
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jaydon, the eye region is where I've been struggling. I'll focus on that before I move on
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Followed Jaydons advice and worked on the face a bit more, the result:
    faceimprovement.png
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    It's better, but you aren't done yet. Keep workin at it.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dirigible.

I've been bogged down with other work so I'm struggling to find time for this character, but I've managed to do some more work on the face recently, here's the results:
    faceimprovement2.png
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I would honestly recommend putting this character on hold for now and working a bunch of quick sketches. I think the biggest issue is that you don't have a solid concept of the large basic shapes that make up the form. Here's some examples of what I mean.

http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/images/loomis-planes.jpg
    http://images.fasocdn.com/3043_843844org.jpg
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a list of a few things to think about:

Eyes are too big, chin is too flat and wide, lips too defined and feel like they arent really part of the face, cheek bones and zygomatic process need definition, hair is too close to the ear (left and right side), eyebrows dont follow a realitic angle/pattern.

Best thing to do is find some good reference and get drawing. You can also bring some face photos into Ps and, using a coloured paint brush, outline the landmarks of the face. Anatomy takes alot of time and practice, but the more you learn & practice, the easier it'll become. Anyway, not a bad attempt so far for a first character!
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @neilberard I had some sketches before I began but I'll admit that its current state is nothing like the original concept, I'll get back to the drawing board, thanks.

@SCB Thanks for the advice, I've looked at anatomy whilst working on the model but not in lot of detail, probably where I'm going wrong. I'll start sketching and collecting references before I continue, thanks.
  • Muzza123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been a while since my last update, I'm currently struggling for time so I'm still doing concepts for the character however I did find time to work on the face region.

tumblr_mc9g5mdVfn1qg8wbyo1_500.png

I have a few ideas of what she will now look like, I should have a final concept posted here sometime next week but in the meantime can I get some feedback on the new face?