Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mutant/Hard Guy

jimmyjaba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jimmyjaba polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys and gals. Haven't posted anything in ages, and I'm getting going on a new portfolio, out with the old shiz, in with the new. This guy first started out as a cop, I was really inspired by Mashru Mishu's Street Cop, but as I started sculpting he evolved into this guy. I came up with a loose background story. The future soldiers have the opportunity to earn more credits by volunteering for certain medical programs. This guy did just that, with the result of the arm. Now he earns money as a hard nut and generally not being a nice guy.

This is what I have so far after about two days evening work. Still lots to do before I even begin polypainting. Please please leave comments and crits! Thanks for looking.:)

WIP_01_zpsd4c63c46.jpg

WIP_02_zps4338406f.jpg

Replies

• jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought that I would bump my thread with some other portfolio wips. This time Scarecrow from Batman Arkham Asylum. Again any crits or comments to improve my work would be greatly appreciated. Cheers guys. :)

WIP_02.jpg
  • jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    No crits? Still working on these guys but any comments or criticism would really help. Thanks in advance:)
  • Saman
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 14
    I feel that the clothes need more work, it seems like you haven't used ref-material much for those. The folds for instance are too wavy at places where it should just be hanging and in most parts they just look unnatural. I would recommend reworking the clothes if you can.
  • jimmyjaba
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Saman. Clothing folds are defiantly something I'm struggling with. His large jacket for instance I've already started reworking. You're right about the ref, I simply blocked that out and sculpted away with little thought as to how the folds should fall. I've gone completely back and started collecting ref. I'm wanting to recreate certain elements from the UDK Samaritan Jacket to keep with the slight sci-fi idea.

TrenchCoatRefSheet_zps2a5f6983.jpg

The other problem I'm having which I've chosen to ignore until now is the ripped sleeve situation.

Rippedsleve_01_zps3190192d.jpg

Is the best way to do this to mask out the rips, hide, then delete the hidden areas then retop? I was having difficulty getting a good mask to do this. This there a better way to achieve this look? Again thanks for the comments.:)